Switching from TCI to PAMCO

Rlauchard,

The left and right side spark at the same time. It's the same coil. The difference you are observing is probably due to the different polarities as was discussed earlier. Your comment that the right side is "jumpy" is your clue. Try reversing the clamp on the right side. Go back and reread the post from XSLeo about this phenomena so you will have a better understanding of what is happening with a wasted spark system.

The blackened plugs after a few minutes is due to a rich mixture and / or your enricher is stuck ion the on position (that's the choke). To get that process started, come back here with information on your setup, like type of carbs, jets sizes, type of air filter, exhaust setup etc. Did you ensure that both cylinders are working with the Windex test?

Thanks again pete,

First, sorry to throw the random observation in on my plugs...I type like I talk...too much.

I've read XSLeo's post a few times now. What's said is that like any circuit the juice is flowing one way. Coil fires, travels down one wire, down plug, over the piston heads (I think, and I imagine that's where the carbon buildup comes from), back up the plug, back up the wire to the coil.

When I drew my pretty little picture, that was with the clamp oriented in both directions. The timing light instructions say over and over to make sure that the clamp is on the #1 cylinder (and from reading other posts, I think that's the left one). Understanding the way that the current flows, I understand that the timing mark should be the same on either side.

I will continue to play with the timing light and such this evening as this is most likely user error.

So, the question is...if the timing light is good on the left side, can I assume that all is well and close my TCI to points project (until adjustments and such are needed)?

Rlauchard,

The timing light instructions were written for a conventional automobile engine with a distributor wherein the timing marks are only valid for cylinder #1. In the case of the XS650, you should be able to use either plug wire as long as you switch the clamp on one of them, but the timing light should work as well on either, so I am somewhat concerned about your report of a jumpy light on the right side even though you tried both orientations of the clamp. So, it could be that the right side is fouling sooner than the left and as the resistance across the spark plug gap get less and less due to the fouling, it may interfere with the proper operation of the timing light.

In any event, if you are experiencing serious fouling within minutes of starting the engine with new spark plugs, you have to find the problem and fix it.

I think, however, that you have concluded your PAMCO installation successfully (congratulations! :thumbsup: ) and therefore you can legitimately start a new thread to deal with the fouling and possible rich mixture.

pamcopete,

One last question. I've seen you state that on the switch over to PAMCO, you just unplug the TCI box.

I'll be re-wiring the whole bike, and I noticed that with the TCI unplugged from the stock wiring harness, the 3 wires that go to what I believe is the ignition pickup are no longer connected to anything.

(the black oval piece in this picture with the orange/greyish-blue/black wire)

SDC11631-M.jpg

I can remove the ignition pickup now that I've installed the PAMCO unit, correct?

Back