tach drive o-ring replacement?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bad oil leak that seems to be coming from between sleeve #1 in the diagram below and the case. #1 also seems loose. It seems to me I need to replace o-ring #2. Or is there something I'm overlooking?

My big question - if I remove screw #5, to get sleeve #1 out, will #7 or #8 fall into the case? I read warnings about this but they aren't clear about what causes that to happen.

Thanks.

Also - anybody know the size for the o-ring?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, after a bit more research, how difficult is it to remove sleeve #1 while leaving the gear undisturbed, say pushing down on the gear shaft with a screwdriver? Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• 650ABC_tach_gear.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
You have to hold the shaft (#7) down in as you remove the sleeve (#1). If you let the shaft pull out at all as you remove the sleeve, you run the risk of the shim washer (#8) at the bottom falling off. Hold the shaft down in with an awl or small screwdriver as you pull the sleeve out.

wmr3Gdb.jpg

The o-ring is rather small and difficult to measure. It's also red in color which may indicate it's silicone instead of regular rubber. I tried measuring a new one from Mike's and ordering some from McMaster-Carr. My 1st attempt was a bust and I got some slightly too large in diameter. I tried again and have some now that look like they will work but I have not tried them yet. If you'd like to be the "tester", shoot me a P.M. and I'll send you a couple. This second size that looks correct is 1.5 x 11. I didn't get them in silicone but rather Buna-N because of the cost and the fact I wasn't sure they would fit. If they prove to be the right stuff then I would spring for the silicone versions next.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just thought of something. There's a company here in town called Southern Rubber that has pretty much everything when it comes to industrial, automotive and motorcycle rubber applications http://www.southernrubber.com/

I've been carrying all kinds of rubber parts over there for 30 plus years and matching them up. Most recently I got my rocker cover o-rings there. They don't reference part numbers but can fit it to the piece. I just tell them what the part is for and what type of environment it lives in and they pick out the kind of rubber I need. Every time I go there's always one or two old motorcycle tramps there matching up something or the other. If anyone has samples you'd like me to match up I'd be happy to make the trip 'cross town. They do belts, hoses, o-rings, sheets, blocks-- anything rubber. All I need is samples and some things I might have already.

Did they happen to tell you the size for the rocker cover o-rings? That's another I'd like to know and find generic replacements for.

Thanks guys for the responses. This was an interesting little "roadside" episode in Garden City, KS. A local good Samaritan drove me around on his Can-Am on Sunday afternoon until we finally found a ring that would fit, at NAPA. Pretty remarkable encounter.

The part came out easily, due the the o-ring being used up, which made the gear easy to hold down, in turn. The NAPA part wasn't like the red o-ring, but was a bit thicker and smaller. But when stretched out in the groove took on the perfect dimensions. Didn't note the size of it.

I found the receipt from napa and the part number for the o-ring that worked was either 727-2011 or 727-2012. I bought the two likely looking candidates to avoid making another trip down there.

A few miles beyond there now and still leak free (from the tach drive anyway).

Trigger frolicking in the Badlands today!

full

Roadtripping are ya? Seems your bags are packed alittle fuller this time?
Maybe gold panning supplies? You are kinda headed that way.
The front is providing cooler riding I hope.

A small tent and sleeping bag takes up most of the space in the green bag. Moved the load forward and put a gas can on back. Free camping last night in the national forest about a mile from here. In Hill City Cafe at the moment. Will pass through Sturgis on the way north, but not all that excited about it.

Picture from Wounded Knee:

full

With a new o-ring installed, is it supposed to be difficult to reinstall the tach gear housing? I'm not getting the housing fully installed in the case. What's the best/safest way to overcome the resistance of the new o-ring so the housing gets into proper position?

A related question -does the set screw need to go through the hole in the side of the housing? Until I get the housing fully inserted, the set screw and housing hole are not going to meet up.

1a72f482312fa88df4f429dab7f35f02_zpsed99a9d8.jpg

Back