Tacho / Right Clutch Case - help wanted

vincejames

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I don't have an RPM gauge and don't plan on using one. The PO removed the cable complete and put some weird copper plumbing screw in place of the tach drive retention bolt. I know it is smart to keep the hole for testing etc, but I still don't plan on using it.

Question: Can I remove the gear and the long pin completely? Can I then just plug the hole? I see that some people have posted about this before, but it looks like no one has answered this question / it's not that easy to find when searching.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/HWcSp"><a href="//imgur.com/HWcSp"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://imgur.com/a/HWcSp

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/JqKdD"><a href="//imgur.com/JqKdD"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://imgur.com/a/JqKdD

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 436
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 357
You can remove the long tach drive rod but don't remove the gear set it mates to. The large round gear drives your oil pump and, well, you kinda need that, lol. Along with the drive rod, there is a shim washer on the bottom of it you'll need to remove as well. If you don't get that washer outta there, it will be floating around loose in your oil. So, remove parts 7 and 8 in this drawing. You can leave the rest .....

TachDrive.jpg

Most leave the sleeve in the case (parts 1 - 6) because it makes plugging the hole easy. Aftermarket suppliers sell a cap that screws on where the cable did. I suppose you could remove the little swirl gear #9, but I don't see the point. You would need to make up some sort of special spacer part to take it's place on the oil pump gear shaft.

Hey 5Twins,

You've really come to be one of the best when it comes to giving accurate responses. I rarely read what anyone else has to say, lol.

Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 are gone. I was riding and it flew out ... oil was everywhere. I ended up through just a simply plug in the hole. Parts 5 and 6 are fine and I'm leaving them alone. As for the the washer, part 8, I couldnt tell you where that is. The tach rod somewhat moves freely but when matted onto the gear it spins as it should.

So if I am understanding you correctly I can pretty much remove that tach rod - part 7 and just leave the gear?

Thanks,
VInce

Yes, remove #7 and leave the gear. Look at your 1st pic in post 1. That shim washer (#8) may be stuck (for now) in the hole in the bottom of the case that the bottom of the tach rod fits into.

Back