Tamper Proof, eh? Wanna bet?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not aware of any "tamper proof" motorcycle carbs, but just in case:

Daughter was given a Ryobi gas weed whacker. Initial problem was ethanol-rotted fuel lines and primer bulb.

Fixed that, cranked it up, test drove it, gave it to daughter a month or so ago.

Last week, she texts me that it'll start but won't run on anything less than full choke and then only for a couple of minutes (before, I assume, the plug fouls out...) Okey-dokey, running too lean (Thanks, EPA...) I'll adjust the carb which actually DOES have two adjustment screws.

Or not, they're just round shafts with a little V notch down one side. Googled that, turns out Stens makes a tool for that AND Deep Homo can get them ship-to-store.

$43 later I have a set of 11 "tamper proof" carb tools in various formats and sizes - female rectangle, female splined, half round and v-notch.

About a quarter turn on each adjustment and it starts and runs like a top.

So THERE, EPA, stick yer tamper-proof where the Sun don't shine! :cussing::laughing:

In a pinch some of those "tamper-proofs" can be gotten around with a little creative work with small thin wall tubing. Find a piece that will fit snug and then more or less crimp to let them grab enough to turn an adjuster screw.

Not aware of any "tamper proof" motorcycle carbs, but just in case:

Daughter was given a Ryobi gas weed whacker. Initial problem was ethanol-rotted fuel lines and primer bulb.

Fixed that, cranked it up, test drove it, gave it to daughter a month or so ago.

Last week, she texts me that it'll start but won't run on anything less than full choke and then only for a couple of minutes (before, I assume, the plug fouls out...) Okey-dokey, running too lean (Thanks, EPA...) I'll adjust the carb which actually DOES have two adjustment screws.

Or not, they're just round shafts with a little V notch down one side. Googled that, turns out Stens makes a tool for that AND Deep Homo can get them ship-to-store.

$43 later I have a set of 11 "tamper proof" carb tools in various formats and sizes - female rectangle, female splined, half round and v-notch.

About a quarter turn on each adjustment and it starts and runs like a top.

So THERE, EPA, stick yer tamper-proof where the Sun don't shine! :cussing::laughing:
I bought a set of those too. Turns out I only use a couple of them but wouldn’t be able to adjust the carbs on my Solo yard equipment without them.

Back