Tank Bag Recommendations

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning another cross country trip for this summer and after doing one almost two years ago, I have come to the realization that having a tank bag would be nice. Do any of you use one? What would you recommend? I am looking for a good quality bag that will last a while. Price range of up to 150. Thanks.

I would shop eBay for an old standard Eclipse. They pretty much are the standard that all others copied and my bag of choice for traveling .....

My650Touring.jpg

If you want the ultimate in "old school", get a Harro .....

650Fall08-4.jpg

I've had this Eclipse since the late '70's .....

Eclipse.jpg

Last edited:
A Harro "Elefantenboy" and what looks like Krauser panniers....The ultimate setup from the 70's I would say :)

I got hold of a Denfeld luggage/pannier rack and panniers for my XS. I guess they are sort of poor man's Krausers...

5twins if the images shows your bike I must say its one nice looking bike... I know :offtopic:, but just had to say its really impressive looking :thumbsup:

I would shop eBay for an old standard Eclipse. They pretty much are the standard that all others copied and my bag of choice for traveling .....

My650Touring.jpg

If you want the ultimate in "old school", get a Harro .....

650Fall08-4.jpg

I've had this Eclipse since the late '70's .....

Eclipse.jpg

I pretty much set up all my old bikes this way. It's what we like to call a "resto-mod" around here. Needed areas like suspension, brakes, and electrics get upgraded but the overall look of the bike remains stock. A SAWZALL IS NOT USED.

To me, a bike is pretty useless without the ability to carry stuff on it. I started out with a tank bag on my 650 but graduated to a tail bag strapped to the luggage rack .....

TailBag.jpg

If I need to carry more stuff, I snap the hard bags on. I only run them when needed to carry things, not empty and mounted all the time. If you run hard bags empty, they tend to shake around a lot and can end up cracking.

nevertheless your bike looks awesome... mine looked like that aswell the new/old one i bought for my project, but it were a distance blinder, meaning it looked just as nice as yours (allmost) on a distance but close up it were a heck job.

So I had no second thoughts when remodeling it. ;)

It looked like this

AA3507F8-BF29-47A3-AEDD-6155455204F9_zpsokycldue.jpg

They had used spray can with alu paint and sprayed it while rims were mounted and Allso spokes were painted, all had rust below... So Alot had to been done.

Back