Tank Repair

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey folks....hope ALL of you on this side of the pond are enjoying a GREAT riding season......well, for those who have seasons. For that it's worth no matter where you are in the world I wish you all the best.

I don't normally do this but I have to share. Some of you might remember this tank. 1975 XS650B.....it was posted in the Classifieds and I know some of you commented on it. I have to admit I'm a bit of a hoarder and LOVE tanks.....I have a LOT of them. I do realize that this one will never be in high demand..( also means it'll never be worth what I have in it....story of my life) there's just too many of them out there but it bothered me that it looked so good except for "that dent". I do a lot of dent pulling.....with mixed results. I went ahead and got this tank and when I looked at it I knew I wouldn't be able to pull the dent out so I bit the bullet and sent it off to Dent Hogs in Georgia, USA.

I don't have it back in my hands yet.....but when I do I will take a few more photos of this fellows work. He says it turned out really nice. I didn't expect much because it was a nasty dent.

Cheap.........well, no. But if I had it repaired and painted complete with decals....it'd probably cost three times what this repair cost.

Sweet tank....I have 5 XS650s.......2 - 1975 and 3 - 1978 Standards and this tank fits right in with the XS pile. I'm going to wrap this tank back up in the original factory paper and put in back in the original factory box. From time to time I'll dig it out and drool over it. It's a hoarder thing and I KNOW some of you understand.

More photos to follow......but if your looking for a paint-less dent repair.....I would highly recommend this fellow.

Hope to get to shake some hands at Marty's XS rally in September......be there or be square.

Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Gordon!
That came out beautiful! I’ve watched some videos on YouTube put out by those paint less dent repair shops, and it’s just amazing to watch them work. Hey......would you take $75 for that tank? :D

Fellows.....I'll make sure to follow up with my own photos.....I also have some "before" that I took. The guy is REALLY nice to talk with and VERY quick turnaround. Let me get it back in my hands and I'll report back. I'm going on his word and he says it turned out nicely. More to follow........

2 many........I swear I absolutely love my XS's. I'd have dozens if I had the room and the money. I have one of the 78's on the road.......so sweet. I'm sorting out a few things on it then on to the other 78 ( in Green)......absolutely I tell ya. I don't post much on here lately mainly because of the GREAT work folks like you have shared......this site has the BEST search function of any I've been on and if you look hard enough....somebody has already sorted ( with photos) the problem you're having.

Bowed out of the Fall Moto Giro so I could attend the XS Rally........I'm looking forward to it. Little under 300 miles from my house to the campground and it's one of my favorite rides....takes me through some of the best motorcycle roads in the area.

Damnit.......see what happens when you get me started????????

More to follow.......clear and twisty roads.......Gordon in NC

Good to hear from you again Gordon. Seems your XS collection has grown? I thought you had just a couple '75 models before. The '78 model is a good year but I'll admit I'm partial to it. It's been my main 650 for many years. I like that it's improved over the earlier models (better forks, carbs) but not as heavily safety mandated as the later models. As you seem to have discovered, these bikes are pretty addicting, lol.

Always good to hear from you 5-Twins ( you too-2). I got the 75B for $300.....joined this site, picked up a 75B parts bike off the classifieds. BUT......The "Black" 78 standard always caught my eye. I got the 75B sorted and it's pretty much my work horse around here. I ride it 4-5 times a week. So far no major problems....or at least any that this site and my limited mechanical abilities can't take care of. After awhile I got to wanting a 78 so I came on here to start the search. I was wanting one already sorted......not really wanting another project ( I have enough small Honda and BSA unit single projects to last a life time) but that didn't work out. I ended up with a "Green" and "Black" 78 from different sellers (off this site) and a good 78 parts bike too. Both the Green and Black bikes need TLC but are GOOD SOLID machines IMO and the "Black" one is already tagged, insured and being ridden. Right now it's down for some more sorting, oil, filters change, then flip to the other side with new sprockets and chain and the starter fix kit. Need to work on the clutch pull to. Two many got me and my 75 clutch pull sorted and finding neutral is always positive......need to do the same thing to the 78. I bagged the 75...( period aftermarket Yamaha bags)....got a very nice set of period Shoei bags for the "Black" 78 but not in a hurry to mount them. There is a difference between the 75 and 78......just haven't put that many miles on the 78 to put my finger on exactly what it is.......but the 78 handles like a dream ( NO....not a Honda Dream) and pulls like a tractor.....I like it better ( for now) than the 75.

Okay enough of that.....Lord it's really bad when I start to bore myself....sorry.

I need to take some photos of a spare tank I have someone's wanting......gota see if it's worthy to donate to a good cause.

Take care........YOU sir are one of the reasons this site is absolutely the BEST there is and I for one do appreciate what you and the other regular posters do to keep it that way. A windy Gordon in NC

I ended up with a "Green" and "Black" 78 from different sellers (off this site) and a good 78 parts bike too. Both the Green and Black bikes need TLC but are GOOD SOLID machines
Hello Gordon , Your XS fleet sounds both fun and busy ! Good to know.
That green 78E , hopefully is a nice one as well soon .
Any pics ? I still just never find a green one ..
-Randy

Hello Gordon , Your XS fleet sounds both fun and busy ! Good to know.
That green 78E , hopefully is a nice one as well soon .
Any pics ? I still just never find a green one ..
-Randy

Randy.....I have some photos but my stuff is never pretty. I try my best to get them road worthy but even though I really like pretty bikes I can't make myself worry over it. So my stuff is more in the ratty category and not that much fun to look at. 25 feet away....to the untrained eye they look "okay".

Here's my $300 1975B.....rescued from a garage where a car was being restored. When they shot the grey primer on the car....they left the bike uncovered and it was completely covered with primer. Get close to the bike and you can still see it. I know it'd be wonderful to do a full off restro on it but that's not going to happen in my lifetime....got too many other things to keep me busy.

Here's the two '78s as they were when I got them ( from different sellers). The Green one is put away for now and the Black one is on the road.....and so far it's my favorite.

No current photos of the Black 78....but once I have finished with the few items on the checklist I'll take some.

Clear and twisty roads......Gordon in NC

Had to work late today and when I finally made it home the tank was here. Quick look at the damaged area...........it's perfect!!!!!! The dent is gone......the original paint is intact and I'm having a hard time remembering just how freaking bad that dent was. I'll get some photos but I want to take that tank outside in the sunlight to do it. As from right now..........I'm as happy as a little girl.

Gordon in NC

Geeze.......I'm so bad at this. Get something started and then 10 other things get in the way. I have so many projects going on at the same time it's hard to keep up. Tank photos as promised. I'm going to say that this wasn't a 100% repair......and I wasn't expecting it to be. But I'm going to give it a solid 98%. Considering that dent and I still have the original paint... intact.... I think it was a win (they are ONLY original ONCE). BTW.......you know who I'm talking to. Finally got the "other" tank boxed and it will ship tomorrow ( I'm only a week late.....thank goodness you didn't have to pay anything!!!!)

IMG_5408.JPG
IMG_5409.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5407.JPG

BTW.......you know who I'm talking to. Finally got the "other" tank boxed and it will ship tomorrow ( I'm only a week late.....thank goodness you didn't have to pay anything!!!!)

I’ll get you at the VYR Gordon - and thanks so much! :bow:

Pete

Back