Tank thread.

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of the threads are about building a bike or re-building a part. Electrical and carburetor issue's out the yin-yang, brakes, wheels, bearings and the lot but I haven't seen any threads recently on just an easy refurbish. I know some guys are intimidated by the charging system or don't want to dive into the engine so I thought I'd post about a simple-to-me project. I bought a cool old Yamaha tank off Craigslist, not because I plan on using it but I wanted to make it beautiful again. OK, who knows, I might end up using it but in the meantime I want to do some things with it. First off I could use some help positively identifying it.
tank (2).JPG
tankcap.JPG

Attachments

• tankpetcock.JPG
    tankpetcock.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 62
As you can see in the pics it has a few small dings but nothing too terribly deep. It was also fairly clean on the inside with just a few spots of rust that looked like old gas had just turned to goop. I took a half gallon of white vinegar, added a good handful of nuts and bolts and proceeded to shake it back and forth for about 15 minutes. I then let it sit overnight and shook it again today before pouring it out and washing the inside of the tank out with mild soap and water. I think it came
tankclean.JPG
tankclean2.JPG
out OK

Looks pretty close weekendrider. The tank badges look like they would fit the tabs I have. Paint scheme is close too.

I used a mix of 2-stroke oil and gasoline as a rust preventer after the vinegar cure. It worked like a charm. Someone on this board recommended it. Can't remember who.

Get some blue magic metal polish, use a towel and start hand buffing, you will be AMAZED at how good the paint comes up.

Well the engine fogger worked for crap. Another of my great idea's for creating more work! Checked the tank again and it was rusty. I had to re-do the treatment and this time I used the 2-stroke mix like Pete mentioned.

Gary I've got to do a light wet-sand to knock down any boogers then I've got some Maquires Ultra cut that I use with a small damp foam pad on my drill that's always worked like a charm. I'll try that this weekend and post some pics.

Back