tatoos

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Amazing the way the tatoo craze has hit this country. There is a tatoo parlor on every corner now. I never have felt compelled to get one myself. I remember growing up in the 70's a few guys coming home from Nam had tatoos. Now everybody and their grandma has one. It seems all women have them now. Its like its one of those things people do to be different and then all of a sudden its not different at all because everybody else has one. Don't get me wrong I could care less if someone has one or not and I work with a couple of guys who tatoo people. I just wonder if the craze will last or it will be like the long hair fad was when I was growing up and people will eventually move on to something else.
jefft

Last edited:
I am SO glad I didn't get one (or more) when I was young and foolish.

I keep picturing some old broad in her 70's in a tank top with her wrinkly old tats showing.

Eeewwwwwwww...

The piercing seems to be on the way out, but the tattoo market is still booming. I have 4 tats myself (2 professional and 2 I woke up with). My last tattoo was 21 years ago - I guess that qualifies me as a trend setter instead of a follower. LOL

A peek into the future.

not really.jpg

Some people I just can't picture with them! Just like some people look fugly with mustaches!

My personal collection.

d1e9813004e111e2a65622000a1e8acc_7.jpg

a0e8eef44c0cd32c35e3117607ec6f33.jpg

d05cdf450ece7a4e71352551aa0ea34a.jpg

21c38c1a795731552269afb55df64788.jpg

2031f9ee0c8663fd4d1b6fa07cdb243a.jpg

It's social stratification. Like college. Self-stratification. Keep that in mind. But I guess there are lasers now that take it off if you want to move up someday.

I wanted to get a tattoo and I was wondering what to get and I asked a guy who was covered with tattoos. Seemed like a likely person to ask.

His reply was "Are you smarter than you were ten years ago?"
"Yes."
"Are you going to be smarter in ten years than you are now?"
"Yes, point made."

The point is your tattoo will be out of date or out of sync soon enough, maybe not even ten years.

But the main thing is - in former times a good tattoo said here's a person who had the discretion and ability to find a good tattoo artist. But nowdays they use technology and a hoser's assistant could do it. Cookie cutter shit.

Lol You wanted a tattoo and asked a guy what to get? Hahahahah

It's social stratification. Like college. Self-stratification. Keep that in mind. But I guess there are lasers now that take it off if you want to move up someday.

I wanted to get a tattoo and I was wondering what to get and I asked a guy who was covered with tattoos. Seemed like a likely person to ask.

His reply was "Are you smarter than you were ten years ago?"
"Yes."
"Are you going to be smarter in ten years than you are now?"
"Yes, point made."

The point is your tattoo will be out of date or out of sync soon enough, maybe not even ten years.

But the main thing is - in former times a good tattoo said here's a person who had the discretion and ability to find a good tattoo artist. But nowdays they use technology and a hoser's assistant could do it. Cookie cutter shit.

I deliver and instruct patients on the use of medical equipment here in Arizona. Our company allows us to wear shorts in the summer as it reaches 115 degrees or more here some days. Our company also has a policy about keeping tatoos covered. Some of those coworkers with tatoos sort of cringe when I walk up to them in shorts and a short sleeved shirt while they are wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt and ask them if those tatoos were worth it.
jefft

Last edited:
I deliver and instruct patients on the use of medical equipment here in Arizona. Our company allows us to wear shorts in the summer as it reaches 115 degrees or more here some days. Our company also has a policy about keeping tatoos covered. Some of those guys sort of cringe when I walk up to them in shorts and a short sleeved shirt while they are wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt and ask them if those tatoos were worth it.
jefft

:D While I'm showing my age and dissing body art, I find all the piercings and hardware hanging off various appendages sort of amusing too. Especially in food service folks...

Never judge a book by it's cover. When my niece started dating a cat with full sleeves, I was skeptical of him. Ten years later they have three beautiful girls together, and he is one of the most stand-up guys I know. :thumbsup:

So are you saying a hoser's assistant could tattoo? or...

I love tattoos. Especially on women. It shows something about them that I just find attractive. And im not all that concerned with how mine look when im significantly older. I have some pretty brutal scars from some pretty brutal surgeries, so im sure they will look a heck of a lot worse!

Well 24% of America between the ages of 18-50 now have them. I guess if I ever felt the need to get one it would have to be something very unique. I wouldn't want the piece of barbwire or the one that said "FAMILY" as those are everywhere now.
jefft

Jdizon: Who ever does your ink knows what they are doing. Those are amazing.

Mine, sorry no actual pics, just what they were drawn from.
Upper right arm, done 20 years ago, while working on a PhD in Mathematics, was studying differential equations on non linear surfaces. Mobius strip drawing by Mc Escher. Shows my love for math and art.
mobius.jpg

A couple of years ago, I got this on my forearm
ngk5.png

I have a tattoo and my daughter has a few. My advice, make it mean something to you not just a picture out of a book. My tattoo is on my left wrist and it is the size of a business card, it is a checkered flag that flows into a hot rod flame. I designed it to honor my father who was a real hot-rodder in the 40's. He had a '32 ford coupe and a '36 Knuckle head. (In 1957 he had another knuckle head but that's another story.)

My daughter also has our last name, as signed by my father. He passed in 2001 and I used copies of his signature for the artist to recreate. Me, my son and my daughter will all get our family crest sometime this summer.

My two cents, get a good artist and design something that is important to you.

Back