TC Bros 3.3 Gal. Mustang Tank

BigMitch25

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have the TC Bros tank, but it seems a little long for my 72 frame. I'm wondering if i can cut/shave the mounting brackets at the front and back of the tank to get it to fit. i don't know a whole lot about metal working and im kind of new at this and I want to make sure that its not going to damage the tank or reduce any sort of structural strength that the brackets have.

Check fork/handlebar to gas tank clearance at the steering stops before trying to move the tank forward. Early 70-73 tanks sit further forward cuz the early fork triples have more offset, giving more room in front. Yes you could trim the mounts back a bit if needed but keep enough metal around your bolt holes for strength. How are you attaching the tank to the frame? Are you aware solid mounted tanks can have issues with vibration fatigue failure? (cracking) even though xs650s don't shake.
0b2a9700_sku_105-0009_2.jpg

I was planning on marking and drilling into the frame to add steel bungs. Also i was not aware of that. none of the bike is together. I picked up a whole bunch of parts for really cheap from a guy who was going to build it and decided not to bother. I'm very new at this and don't know much so im jsut teaching myself slowly.

I drilled and tapped my frame for a 6mm bolt. You can shave a rubber shock grommet down and mount between the frame and tank tab to give yourself a little vibration dampening.

Yeah I'd be looking at a top and bottom sheet rubber gasket topped by a curved washer front and back. use a stud and loctite into the frame with a lock nut on top and or a sleeve so you can control the tension on the stack.

Here are some pictures. Am I ok to put the bungs in those welded spots or is my tank just too big? I’ve got a 72 frame
0FF21D79-D618-46BC-AFE5-C4CA68E2A962.jpeg
6DADCE9A-E9C9-4662-BA86-85F1DD942590.jpeg
10C9CC7B-0523-4DDB-93B0-744DFD1CF1B0.jpeg
0FF21D79-D618-46BC-AFE5-C4CA68E2A962.jpeg
6DADCE9A-E9C9-4662-BA86-85F1DD942590.jpeg
10C9CC7B-0523-4DDB-93B0-744DFD1CF1B0.jpeg

Haven't done this but welded on threaded bungs with slightly thicker rubber pads cut around the bungs so the tank is pulled down onto them prolly a good solution. Check fork/handlebar clearance to tank..............

Last edited:
So I checked the fork/handlebar clearance and I’m all good. I found a picture of an example of how somebody installed the same gas tank that I’m hoping to use. It looks like they might have bent the rear tab upwards and slid it under the seat?

If you have any extra clearance up front you also could cut the front tab and slide the tank forward slightly. I did that on a rigid frame chopper I built a few years back and welded a bolt head to my frame stop as a spacer which gave me about 1/4-3/8” more clearance from the handlebars. You lose that from your turning radius but depending on your choice of front end it might not be a big difference. I was running a 38* rake with a 9” over front end so it actually helped me.

Back