TC Bros Wiring harness

Captmandel

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone... I want to get this http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/xs650-chopper-and-bobber-parts/1970-79-yamaha-xs650-chopper-wiring-harness-points-ignition.html

I think the general consensus around here is that its better to make your own, but I think the right choice for me is to buy one thats already put together. So to my question....

I have a 72 with the stock alternator and Pamco elctronic ignition. Is this the right wiring harness to get?

I want to eventually switch to PMA is that going to be a big problem with this wiring harness??

I dont plan to run turn sginals, kill switch, and could get rid of my horn if need be.

TL;DR
Is this the right wiring harness for a 72 with stock charging and a Pamco ignition?

Thanks, Josh.

Yes it will work if your using all the stock charging parts (rotor, stator, regulator, rectifier). Due to the length of the wires, you are kind of limited on where you are going to put them on your bike.

Essentially what your buying here is about $5-$10 worth of wire and connectors in the correct configuration. If you do it yourself and wire it wrong you can blow your parts. But honestly, it's not that hard, check out with simplified wire harness threads.

And if you later going with a PMA, this harness will not work, you'll have to make/buy a new one.

Thanks for the info!

I have been looking through the simplified wiring diagrams and It really just confuses the heck out of me. I would make my own but unless I'm mistaken there isn't a specific tutorial on how to make a wiring harness and it just seems really intimidating to me.

If I bought that harness, how hard would it be to modify it for a PMA?

Thanks again for reading this or responding!

Hi, I agree with Grepper. It might look scary but its honestly not. Take your time and make the correct joints (solder and heatshrink) test each circuit out with a multimeter and follow the diagram you choose.

At least its then made to suit your bike and you know that its done correctly. Starting with the harness you suggest then cutting it to fit will IMO generate you more problems

You have everything you need on your bike right now if you have stock harness. When I teach guys how to make harnesses I tell them to do it in steps that make it easy to understand. First if you are running 72 with pamco you are running separate REG/REC correct and if so here is the easy way to make a bare bones harness that you can add to.
Take harness off bike lay it out hook up plugs for ALT - reg - rec and cut out just that
you will end up with some extra wires like a black on for grounds blue for neutrial light brown for charging and a red for voltage all the rest of the wires are plugs
Now you just have a barebones charging harness
Pamco runs on its own so all you have to do is add voltage and ground done
You need to buy a switch of some kind and now you can add your lights and horn.
Just look at one of the diagrams on here and follow for fuses and switches and you built a harness that you can add to later for upgrades.
IF all else fails and you want a custom on I make them up and sell them. There are a lot of guys running my harnesses BUT they are easy to make if you understand wiring.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9,449
Back