tcbros simplified wiring harness..

lukach4

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used it or am I just better off doing it all myself?? All I am running is head light, tail light and starter... Maybe turns in the future...

Yes, their harness is a joke really. It's like 6 wires and there's no plugs on them, just bare ends. I would make my own from the old harness. Everything you need is there - plugs, wire, etc. I save the old wiring harnesses from parts bikes and use them to do all sorts of repairs, custom installs for accessories, etc. There's nothing like factory installed bullets with their nice soft plastic protection sleeves.

i just finished rewiring my bike. kept just about everything, lights, signals, starter, horn, hi-beam indicator, signal indicator & neutral indicator. i also have a pamco & pma. it's a bit of a process but i'll tell you i'm glad i did it. i now have a slimmed down harness and a much better understanding of how the bike electronic system works. very rewarding experience...

I just finished re-wiring my bike after being completely bamboozled by the rats nest of odds and sods of what looked like scrap pieces of wire. It ran, but I had no idea where anything came from, what it did or where it went.

The re-wire is simple, and very satisfying when you switch on the lights, and even more satisfying to see the sparks.

I made my own diagram, but...

NOTE - depending on the year of your bike you must unground the rotor-stator assembly by replacing three of the metal screws at the bushes with nylon 4mm screws. I spent hours tracing the cause of the short circuit I was getting when until I saw the post.

If you are unsure I will draw out my diagram for you. I can do it for points, and with my addition of Boyer ignition.

My advice - do it yourself, learn a thing or two as you go along. It makes it so much more worthwhile.

Anlaf

I purchased the TCbros kit for my '79. Kind of high priced for what you get. It came with a wiring diagram and simple directions to get you going. I ended up going with their kit because my rectifier connection was melted to the OE harness. If I wasn't in a rush to get the bike going, i would have have just put my own connectors in there.

With the available information on this site, you can cut up your harness and have no issues.

That's right, Gene, the guys have put up all kinds of wiring diagrams. I took a look at them all, drew my own simplified (for me) diagram and memorised it.

Anlaf

I just finished re-wiring my bike after being completely bamboozled by the rats nest of odds and sods of what looked like scrap pieces of wire. It ran, but I had no idea where anything came from, what it did or where it went.

The re-wire is simple, and very satisfying when you switch on the lights, and even more satisfying to see the sparks.

I made my own diagram, but...

NOTE - depending on the year of your bike you must unground the rotor-stator assembly by replacing three of the metal screws at the bushes with nylon 4mm screws. I spent hours tracing the cause of the short circuit I was getting when until I saw the post.

If you are unsure I will draw out my diagram for you. I can do it for points, and with my addition of Boyer ignition.

My advice - do it yourself, learn a thing or two as you go along. It makes it so much more worthwhile.

Anlaf

Any chance you would be interested in either posting up, or PM me the diagram you have done for yourself?

Ryan

Building a harness is a good option. The only thing I will add is to keep the wire colors the same as stock. This will make trouble shooting easier. Especially when you ask on here. We mostly think in stock colors.
Leo

SPUd, yes I will put it together simply enough and post it. I will see if I can use some technology to make it look neat. Bear with me and I will post ASAP.

XSLeo, I will use stock colours in my diagram, if you would be so kind as to point me to something that shows the correct colour schemes used pre and post-1979 (I know somethings changed around then).

Anlaf

Does anyone know of a programme I can use so I can have my wiring diagram in colour (I want to post my diagram and white paper and biro might not be as easy to follow).

Anlaf

XS650 tech, Electrical section, Some Wiring Diagrams, thread #7 shows some stock diagrams. Look at any of them, they all tell the wire colors.
Leo

SPUd, yes I will put it together simply enough and post it. I will see if I can use some technology to make it look neat. Bear with me and I will post ASAP.

XSLeo, I will use stock colours in my diagram, if you would be so kind as to point me to something that shows the correct colour schemes used pre and post-1979 (I know somethings changed around then).

Anlaf

Cheers mate, greatly appreciated. I pretty much have exactly the same setup as you are running.

I've used a couple from here as I went simplified and electric start. Now I have to add in my PMA and Pamco. Luckily I tried to stay as close to stock colours as my wire supply would allow me. But honestly, it needs a complete do-over.

I got one from them and ended up cutting it up and useing conectors off of it so just make your own MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD MAK A HARNESS SET UP FOR THE XS
LIKE PAINLESS MAKE FOR HOT ROD'S ANY INTEREST IN THIS??.Maybe I'll set up to make some extra long so they could be ran in the frame and what would you pay

SPUd, apologies for not posting the wiring diagram - I am struggling with the technology so I will just have to draw it out. What are you running on your machine?

1. Points
2. OEM rotor/stator
3. Pamco or Boyer (of Yam TDC? of you have a later stator)?
4. PMA
5. Battery or capacitor

I started with the stock stuff, bit soon got rid of the points (I will never, ever return to points) and the Boyer is working fine (can't get hold of PAMCO in this part of the world, now I am waiting for PMA from Hugh's Handbuilt (it's on the way) and a pair of capacitors from Lowbrow.

Let me know and I will make a sketch for using some old-fashioned pens.

Anlaf

Back