TCI Access

LanarkXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The bike is a stock 1980 Special.

The bike had some running issues. Runs fine with the R/R unplugged. Tried the rare earth magnet install and it ran fine for almost 200 kms before the same running issue returned. Again runs fine with the R/R unplugged. There is a post where someone else reports the same and ends up repairing the TCI by replacing some diodes.

So I want to remove the TCI and attempt a repair before investing in a new electronic ignition. I am hoping to benefit from someone else's prior experience in accessing the TCI for removal.

My questions: Am I correct in thinking that the easiest way to remove the TCI is to remove the rear wheel then the inner black plastic fender to get access? Does the inner plastic fender come off with the removal of the four screws (two on each side) that are visible with no further complications?

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike

Yep, you got it. The battery box can be removed by the side but it's a Chinese puzzle that once done is near impossible to do again.
You could videotape it but then you'd have to edit four hours of cursing......

It will depend on how rusty the phillips head TCI attaching screws are. But as I remember you get at it from underneath. perhaps lay the bike over on the RH side on some plywood or carpet prop the handlebar end on a 5 gallon bucket. Then you can get a hand impact with an extension on the philips and swing a hammer to break them loose. #3 phillips, I think.

Have you ohmed out the pickup coils? Open the connector, 5-600 ohms black to orange and black to gray. Both should agree pretty close. Check over the harness under the sprocket cover, not rare for wires to be cracked, broken under there.

It will depend on how rusty the phillips head TCI attaching screws are. But as I remember you get at it from underneath. perhaps lay the bike over on the RH side on some plywood or carpet prop the handlebar end on a 5 gallon bucket. Then you can get a hand impact with an extension on the philips and swing a hammer to break them loose. #3 phillips, I think.

Have you ohmed out the pickup coils? Open the connector, 5-600 ohms black to orange and black to gray. Both should agree pretty close. Check over the harness under the sprocket cover, not rare for wires to be cracked, broken under there.
Thanks for all that. Yes, I have done all the resistance checks and all is fine. It is purely TCI triggering related as the bike runs fine with the alternator disabled (no magnetic field from the rotor).

Mike

Back