TCI Adjustable Pickup?

Ozboy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just looking at my 79 'G' when doing my shift seal and it seems to have adjustable pickup timing on it. I know from posts before that they 'locked' this down and some mods were needed like grooving out the plate for movement. It appears to be the local first early TCI model this may have been set up for advance /retard of TCI timing. One for the gurus maybe?
Skull and 5T?
This 'Local Girl' throws a few curve balls my way! :umm::umm:

20181223_225306.jpg
20181223_225306.jpg

They all were held by screws, the first ones have tamper resistant heads. I think Yamaha found out that there were times when an adjustment was needed so later pick ups have slots and phillips head screws.
You can slot early heads and remove the screws.

It may have been a USA EPA thing also. Relatively retarded timing reduces NOX but that wasn't an issue til the later 90's.

They all were held by screws, the first ones have tamper resistant heads. I think Yamaha found out that there were times when an adjustment was needed so later pick ups have slots and phillips head screws.
You can slot early heads and remove the screws.
Yeah i thought they needed slotting and tamper screws removed.
Ahhhh so they did change them later on for this. Geez they seem to go forward then back then forward again as it is a 79 'G' first up with TCI.
Cheers gggGary.

They may have slotted the upper mounting hole for a while but I have a later model ('83) and it doesn't have the slotted hole. I do plan on slotting it so I can retard the timing a hair. I think these bikes run better that way.

Back