TCI Ignition Coils

fenianmoto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy! Anyone know if the older ignition coils for the points style ignition system will work with a 1980 model with the TCI ignition? I'm wondering about this because a friend gave me a new set that he didn't end up using, & I like the idea of replaceable plug wires :) Thanks in advance!

The primary resistance on the older 'point's' coil is different, and you will end up burning out the module.

Good choice. Mike's coil's are pretty good. I am using the black, two tower, and it work's well. As with any coil, do NOT spark it without grounding the plug leads, cause you will burn it up.

Howdy! Anyone know if the older ignition coils for the points style ignition system will work with a 1980 model with the TCI ignition? I'm wondering about this because a friend gave me a new set that he didn't end up using, & I like the idea of replaceable plug wires :) Thanks in advance!
No! points type coils will not work with TCI systems. However there are other possible solutions. I used a coil that was originally on a Honda CBR 600. It had the same electrical properties as the XS650 TCI coil. I gave $20.00 for it at a M/C salvage yard. Works great.

Back