TCI repair

I tried re-soldering a couple of cold joints on a bad TCI board I had but that didn't do the trick. At the time, that was as far as I was willing to take it before I bought a new ignition. If anyone has had success replacing transistors, resistors, or capacitors on one these, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.

From my experience in the electronics world I would agree that the output transistor is the most likely thing to fail; mainly because they are the interface to the outside world, where things often go wrong ;)

I'm always suspect of the recommended replacements in these ignition fixing threads, just because I can tell the writer wouldn't know how to choose a replacement. That doesn't mean they don't work, because the requirements of a transistor used as a switch aren't terribly stringent. It would just take a bit of good luck to hit on one that would "work."

It would be possible to take some measurements on working parts and determine a good or better replacement for the transistors that are there, but I doubt anybody has done that, because I can't find that part of the posts anywhere :)

I put "work" in quotes because though it's switching, it's possible it's using more current than is necessary, or running outside its limits and likely to fail.

I tried re-soldering a couple of cold joints on a bad TCI board I had but that didn't do the trick. At the time, that was as far as I was willing to take it before I bought a new ignition. If anyone has had success replacing transistors, resistors, or capacitors on one these, I wouldn't mind hearing about it.
here's the guy that does the repairs from the Yam650 micapeak.com email list
Rick Miller rickthefix@gmail.com

Back