TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Perhaps we should put a terminating resister on the unused tap. It was my confusion reading Jim's post about the phasing of the pickup. He is using idle coil hot to pickup+ and the centertap to pickup -. I'm thinking a 5k 1/2 resister on advanced hot to the center tap. Should keep the pickup coil from ringing as much.

Last edited:
The pickup coil is free floating as far as I know. I don't think the centertap lead is grounded in the harness so iI can imagine the advanced coil unterminated could influence the idle pickup coil.

Perhaps we should put a terminating resister on the unused tap. It was my confusion reading Jim's post about the phasing of the pickup. He is using idle coil hot to pickup+ and the centertap to pickup -. I'm thinking a 5k 1/2 resister on advanced hot to the center tap. Should keep the pickup coil from ringing as much.
Well, I'm not convinced we have a problem to address yet. The initial wonkiness of the advance could just be a "feature" and not a bug. We'll need others testing to compare to find out.
Besides.... it goes away after a few seconds (or possibly because of acceleration events). If it was the advance coil ringing because it's an open loop.... seems to me the problem (?) would continue... no?

While looking back over some threads on advance/retard experiences from 2016 I found the following comment from 59Tebo:
Yup.... we've become too advanced. I've been told before, there's no such thing as a 'perfect' machine. I mentioned in someone else's thread, you're trying to build a 'perfect' engine. Perhaps we just have to accept "close enough" is close enough. Measure it by eye, time it by ear, adjust it by feel, and if you're happy with it, lock it down and ride it into the sunset... :bike:

I love it!

reluctor conditioning.png

The CFO of Mooney told me that when Mooney first offered the Garmin system they planned production for 75% steam and 25% display screens. The orders for aircraft for that year year 90% video games and 10% traditional gauges.

My box just shipped. Ordered it last week from same vendor Jim did. Amazon apparently didn't pay the vendor right away even though they took my money right away. Wonder if that's Amazon's way of floating money to earn extra interest. If they do that for all orders taken in a single day, they probably make a ton of money just off other peoples money.

Wonder if that's Amazon's way of floating money to earn extra interest.
I'd guess that if they were doing that, they'd have been sued/fined out of existence long ago.
I think once mine shipped it was only a matter of days 'till it arrived.
Fingers crossed... might be dry enough for me to give it a test drive tomorrow. Lookin' forward to seeing others report on this thing.

Could someone please clarify for me; when doing this swap, would retain the mechanical advance mechanism? I read through the thread and was surprised to not see it mentioned.

I'm currently running a pamco with an E-advance but i really don't like having the pamco lead running from my cam cover. My system is running great at the moment but if this would allow me to ditch the blue box for edavance at not have the lead coming from the cam cover that would make it worth considering for me.

Minor update:
Marked then pulled the sidecover to make a notch for adjusting the trigger. Currently on the TCI bikes, you have to pull the cover to get to the top adjustment screw.... quiet the pain in the butt. Now it just takes two screws and remove the alternator cover. All the better to play with timing. ;)

notch.jpg

notch2.jpg

notch3.jpg

Could someone please clarify for me; when doing this swap, would retain the mechanical advance mechanism? I read through the thread and was surprised to not see it mentioned.

I'm currently running a pamco with an E-advance but i really don't like having the pamco lead running from my cam cover. My system is running great at the moment but if this would allow me to ditch the blue box for edavance at not have the lead coming from the cam cover that would make it worth considering for me.
This GN250 box has about 20° of advance built in. It does away with the mechanical advance.

Brass screws from McMaster Carr showed up today. I know that not everyone wants to buy a box of 100 (min. order) so.... if the upgrade modded rotor works, I'll offer 4 of these screws in a letter envelope for a buck.

brass screws.jpg

More updates:
Moved the TCI pickup as far advanced as it would go. Fired it up and that gives 1° advanced of the fire mark. Might pull it and elongate the slot to give a degree or two more. Now the odd part.... advance went bonkers exactly 1 time and then settled into a consistent 34° advance. Zip tied everything in place and did a test ride just around the 'hood for about 20 min. It behaves perfectly normal.... just like the old TCI box was hooked up. Soon as I get a tool kit made up I'll venture out for a longer run with some 60-70mph highways thrown in. Be nice to see others run one to find out what's up with the initial advance glitch.... but it's looking promising.

GN 250 zip tied.jpg

Back