TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

I’ve got to agree with Dude, You guys are engaging in tech speak and I’m pretty lost. If you guys get this all ironed out. Will someone write up a simplified set of instructions for installation with a parts list and photos? Hmmm?
Yup!! And prolly videos too.:D

Enjoying a fine brew from Deutschland that my youngest daughter brought me that I have been saving for a special occasion. Even better there was racing today.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 8.22.54 PM.png

Replacement for the TCI igniter box
The Gonzo TCI

Warning
This is all research for a possible XS650 replacement TCI
For all I know it may burst into flames. Or worse.

The 650 TCI uses a small round magnet on the side of the stator. There are two pickups on the stator. The advanced pickup is not used with the Gonzo TCI

Screen-Shot-2020-02-18-at-6.07.18-PM.png

tci-pickup-300x164.jpg

gn250-tci-wiring-2.jpg

gn250-cdi-300x300.jpg

The gn250 tci box looks to have a very simple timing advance curve.

Below 1700 rpm full retard

1700-3000 medium advance

3000 up full advance

GN250 TCI Box Wiring
gn250-cdi-300x300.jpg

gn250-conector-1024x544.png

Yamaha wiring color codes

Dual Outlet coil minimum 3 ohms

000000058030-2-big.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for answering the one question I had about the pick-up. Which of the 2 to use. When several of us use the Gonzo Box, we are confirming each others finds and maybe refining the procedure.

Installation Notes and Status 05/24/20

I plan to keep my last post and this one updated as things change.

Gonzo should work fine with the stock 80-83 TCI wires and coil. If you are retaining the stock coils and wires all you need is the TCI pigtail and the GN250 box

1980-1981 TCI system Gonzo Box + 6 pin adapter harness. Stock Coils are fine

1982-1983 Gonzo Box + 8 pin adapter harness. Stock Coils are fine

Coils

Any coil hooked up to gonzo must be at least 3 ohms and dual output.
Do not try to hook the 70-79 points coils together on the coil input on Gonzo!!

Google is your friend

Honda CB-200 -450 Ignition Coil
{there a bunch of Hondas with these coils. Used OEM are a good bet. Repops have been fine so far.

The mount spacing is 100mm on the Honda coils so a bracket has to be fabbed if you replace the stock coil. Any comments about the Honda coils appreciated.

Edit Found what I think is a XS650 TCI repop coil and it is 100mm also. If that is the case no bracket necessary.

GN250 CDI {it's not really a CDI)

70-79 non TCI Conversion

Working on it. it is a thing.

PMA Systems

Should be a easy option. There is a spot at about the 1 o'clock position for a pickup.
Drill a hole (in the right spot) around the outer periphery and JB Weld a magnet or use a Banshee flywheel that already has the magnet.

Last edited:
First time it has been turned over since last fall. I squirted gas into the fuel lines and shot carb cleaner in the right carb to crank it. I've had carb problems and changed jets over the winter. I don't think the box is causing the problem because the spark was steady as the engine spun down.

Something I noticed watching the video and previously on the tci dyno that as it spins down the timing advances slightly just before it stops. I'm wondering if it is a anti stall behavior programed into the box.

I'm going all in and wiring the box into Old Brown. When it cools off tonight I plan to try and get it running for real.

For non-TCI XS650s you may be able to buy the Boyer Bransden rotor that fits the camshaft. It does appear on their list separately but no price is given??

Good luck for tomorrow's test fire:bike:
One of the goals here is to make an affordable crank fired system. Crank fired is more accurate and less prone to drift than a cam fired system. Another goal is to not buy any more parts than necessary. If the existing rotor and stator can be modded to work... and I admit that's still an if... then less money will be spent for a modern iggy system.

I have 2 boxes on the way (Prime 2 week ) . I plan on stress testing one of them on the TCI dyno. I inadvertently left power on to the box overnight Sunday ( I pulled the ground wire from the battery but a couple of strands didn't let loose) and nothing overheated including the coils. The small agm battery I had hooked up read 6.2 volts .

Just want to be sure I'm understanding this.
With the original tci, the advance is due to the black oval pickup on the stator having 2 pickups?
Does the Suzuki cdi igniter handle the advance curve?
Does the black box get eliminated and replace with the Suzuki cdi igniter ?

Yes cubed. It appears the original TCI Igniter used the second pickup as a reference for max advance.
The Suzuki box uses just the retarded pickup and advances according to how long it had been since the last pulse.
The Gonzo box replaces the stock TCI. It gets all it signals from the harness TCI connector.

Back