TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

That was on old picture, that was from the initial run before extending the slot. I've already extending the slot. I replaced the image for clarity. That being said i would be interested to see the effect.
Ah... gotcha. Just reread your comment. Yes, I filed mine still on the bike too. Took me 'bout 5 min. I think your file's dull. :boxing:;)

I hear ya Superjet. Low of 80*F and weatherguessers say 110 this week. It's freaking hot in the shade here so I wait until night to wrench. Hey, it is Tucson. Phoenix, Bullhead city or Las Vegas is 5 to 10*F hotter so I don't complain.

ohh not complaining at all here either azman! There are sure way hotter places than what we have seen. We have had so far 2 months of dry hot summer instead of only 2 weeks. The pool has never been used so much. Early morning and evening rides are a plenty. I just don't enjoy hot slow traffic in a stinker of a heat wave. J-C

Hey guys, update from my Ganzo install on my '81. I had a missing issue that i have been chasing for a few weeks that i finally resolved. The trigger magnet imbibed in the TCI rotors seems to get week over the years. I you are experiencing a missing ignition or loss of power, mine was occurring during acceleration, consider gluing on a new magnet. I ordered a couple of 5mm x 1mm magnets and glued 1 on top of the stock magnet with a bit of JB Weld and it did the trick. It cleared the pickup no issue. Did it without even taking off the side cover, just rotate the engine so the magnet is at about 7:00. Just clean up the surface before and take care with the JB Weld, it doesn't take a lot.

Is there a difference in the floating or grounded boxes? Do they both have ab what is it on the gonzo, 20° advance? Are they wired the same? Or is ground not needed on one of em?

Just a small FYI, the stock rotor plate has the North pole facing outward. I can confirm my new neo magnet is in backwards which is probably the source of the starting kickback. Otherwise with the stock tci and pickup, the motor runs normally.
20200817_132505.jpg

I was thinking about that, it would be hard to put a magnet on top of the original and have the same pole facing out, they would repel each other. I've heard of it being done tho. I guess you would have to somehow take the old magnet out and put a new one to keep same pole.
So once the bike started it ran fine.with the opposite pole out? I wonder if it's just the strength of the magnet or the pole. Idk enough about that to make a gues. Just something I am thinking.
Edit- read post the next post. Important if you are not familiar with magnets.

Last edited:
I say normally, but I'm betting if I put a timing light on my bike it would already be fully advanced at low rpm. Highway running is fine, which is when the advanced pickup is doing its thing anyway. Starting is a different matter, with a sore insole or a starting motor that stalls out during some starts. It will crank through it, but it isn't happy.

You're backwards. Opposites attract, likes repel. If it sticks, it's the same polarity.

Yes absolutely, I was thinking about that wrong, so if you put a magnet on top of the one that's in the rotor now it will be the same alignment as the original one.
I see okay as soon as I read that it clicked, I wasn't thinking about it right.
Thanks for the correction.
Just edited post to direct reader to your post Jim.

Just a small FYI, the stock rotor plate has the North pole facing outward. I can confirm my new neo magnet is in backwards which is probably the source of the starting kickback. Otherwise with the stock tci and pickup, the motor runs normally.View attachment 173622

:umm:

Just thinking, if you want the red indicator to point north, it would have to be a south pole, so if it is repelled by the magnet, it would be a south face on the magnet. Oy....

I'll just keep quiet....

:umm:

Just thinking, if you want the red indicator to point north, it would have to be a south pole, so if it is repelled by the magnet, it would be a south face on the magnet. Oy....

I'll just keep quiet....

You were right the first time. :rolleyes:

zzxc.png

I say normally, but I'm betting if I put a timing light on my bike it would already be fully advanced at low rpm. Highway running is fine, which is when the advanced pickup is doing its thing anyway. Starting is a different matter, with a sore insole or a starting motor that stalls out during some starts. It will crank through it, but it isn't happy.

Hook a light on it before something gets damaged. If it is at full advance at low rpm then try swapping the pickup leads.

Swapping leads gives me no start. If someone else measures a stock rotor plate and gets a different polarity we'll know it's not a factor. Might be time to stick a resistor on the black lead.

Jim, for a compass to point North, its N marker has to be polarized South.

Making the exposed face of Macmcmcmcmac's rotor magnet South...
This one always blew my students minds when I taught the instruments and navigation course..... but the north pole is actually.... wait for it.... the south end of our magnetic field. Odd huh..... 'till you consider, if you want the north end of a compass needle to point north, it has to be attracted by an opposite field.
Here.... we'll let a West Texas perfesser 'splain it.
Mac was right the first time.... the TCI magnet is north oriented. :cool:

poles.png

Back