TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Any recommendation on pigtail gauge needed? It's short, and I think I read in here that the coil needs 1A, so 18 should be enough?
Or should I use the stock? I haven't measured it, but that appears to be in the 14/16 range.

TIA -Matt

18ga is plenty big enough. 20ga would be fine current-wise... but I've found the molex pins don't crimp well to the 20ga unless you double the ends of the wire back on itself. Doubling back also seems to help on the 18ga as well.

GN250 box arrived today. (Goodness gracious Amazon is fast.) It appears that this one is "floating."
2020-09-08_132013_GN250_module.jpg

Thanks for the wire direction, Jim.

Okay I got my box in today and it’s “floating” so do I wire it according to this diagram or do I have to swap something? I also don’t have any of the original connectors so I’m going strictly off wire colors on this one but I believe I have them all sorted out.

Attachments

• 0CC953BA-568E-4D97-BF7C-39C7549D6046.png
    0CC953BA-568E-4D97-BF7C-39C7549D6046.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 152
I don’t know how to upload videos but I got it running! It needs some fine tuning. It won’t stay running without the choke and it was back firing out of the carbs. Im waiting on a Honda MP08 coil to come tomorrow and I’m gunna throw some new plugs in it but it does run on the Gonzo box!

I did have to reverse the pick ups. On my box I have black/white going to the top left and white/red going to bottom left. If you’re looking at the box itself with the notch facing up!

what plugs does everyone like for these bikes?

Last edited:
Catching up on this thread... I only went back far enough to get a refresher on magnets ;)...
I have not seen any info on the '79 and earlier ignitions... Does this look like it can be adapted to the points ignition bikes?
No slam intended, just checking to see if I missed it.
Keep up the good work, I love seeing reverse engineering in action... :thumbsup:

Catching up on this thread... I only went back far enough to get a refresher on magnets ;)...
I have not seen any info on the '79 and earlier ignitions... Does this look like it can be adapted to the points ignition bikes?
No slam intended, just checking to see if I missed it.
Keep up the good work, I love seeing reverse engineering in action... :thumbsup:
I'm working up the details on a 79 and earlier conversion. Have a read here Ron.

OK OK OK - I am really worried about this pole flipping thing. I've got a lot of planning to do in the next 200,000 years...sh!t. :cussing:

...and I was hoping to take the weekend off.

Pete
They claim the pole shift is ALREADY a 100thou or so overdue and the magnetic pole shift is rapidly increasing.
I took apart all my compasses and repainted the pointers cuz you gotta get ahead of this stuff.
Wonder how I should describe this in the Piper's logbook.
PS nicely annotated wiring diagram Jim, like the revision date. I printed it out and am updating my service manuals.

They claim the pole shift is ALREADY a 100thou or so overdue and the magnetic pole shift is rapidly increasing.
I took apart all my compasses and repainted the pointers cuz you gotta get ahead of this stuff.
PS nicely annotated wiring diagram Jim, like the revision date. I printed it out and am updating my service manuals.
Thanks.
Got my paint at the ready. Soon as I see Geese migrating North for the winter.... Im'a breakin' it out. :rolleyes:

So I have some preliminary success with the GN250 module for my 81. Wired exactly as Jim shows (above.) Starts and Idles. Timing exactly on the idle mark. So far so good.

I am jetted for my exhaust and K&N filters in stock airboxes. I haven't mounted the module yet, so was running with the bare carbs. It won't idle without enricheners (choke) without the airboxes. I fooled enough to get some center stand races going and saw that the advance kicked in.

So the GN250 module only has a limited amount of advance. (30 degrees?) Before I start filing my pickups, what would the downsides be with running with low advance for a while to continue the experiment?

Thanks, guys for all the hard work!

Matt

Back