1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Team Junk, May 15, 2020.

1. Kojack

Kojack XS650 Member

With shipping from the UK it's $145. Still not bad compared to the prices being charged for used CDIs. When I started this adventure I wanted to see if my "parts bike" would run. The success that the GY6 ignition enjoyed being adapted to other machines got me curious and at under $20 I figured it was worth a shot. In that respect the experiment was a success. The bike's motor seems to be in sound condition and I have a cheap, functional ignition system, albeit with a two step advance instead of a curve. Then I heard about your experiences with the Gonzo ignition. My curiosity was piqued. I now have all the necessary parts, including a suitable coil, assembled and hope to get it installed by spring. I'm having a good time playing with this old junker and so far I have less than half the cost of the proper CDI invested in both systems. Win-win in my book.

2. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Interesting stuff here.

Looks like the timing on the 550-600 Yamaha thumpers is 12 degrees at idle and 36 full advance. Pretty close to what we are seeing on the Gonzo.

[​IMG]

gggGary, Kojack and Jim like this.
  3. Team Junk

View attachment 182326

The spacing is unknown. Working out who many degrees between the center and outer pickups.

I think it could be switched from cranking advance to normal (center pickup) by the yellow stator wire through a relay (or two).

The optional really Gonzo gone totally mad advance pickup could be crudely controlled by a vacuum switch or a analog circuit with a solid state air vacuum sensor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    gggGary, Kojack and Jim like this.
  4. Team Junk

Kojack and Jim like this.
  5. Team Junk

@Port posted this photo of his setup.

If you are like me and have no thought of going back to the stock tci then this is the cleanest install. Remove the pins from the wiring loom side of the TCI box connector and then directly connect to the gonzo like this. Don't overlook the black ground wire behind the orange wire. Be sure to determine the polarity of the Gonzo Box to the pickups before putting the pickup pins in the 6 pin connector.

upload_2021-1-12_13-9-17.png

6. mike in idaho

mike in idaho XS650 Enthusiast

How about mounting the gonzo alternator/flywheel on the XS?, that way the ignition trigger would be in place. Assuming,of course, the taper on the crankshaft is compatible.

7. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I have been thinking of doing this very mod to my KZ/GPz project. Got to see if the stock KZ pickups are compatible. Going to have a problem mounting the Gonzo boxes somewhere though.

Kojack likes this.
  8. Team Junk

I looked at a mid 80's gpz wiring diagram and it looks like the pulsar coils have 4 wires coming from then so odds are it has wire coils not hall effect sensors so should work. ymnv. If the manual has a ohm rating for the pickup then it's wire coils in the pickup.

It's kinda ironic you should mention the gpz because I think that was the bike that virtually all of them had the "igniter" box fail and there were dead bikes at all the Houston Kawasaki dealers waiting on igniters from Japan.

That's when I first started looking at tci's and how they worked.

Paul Sutton, Kojack and gggGary like this.
  9. Team Junk

I think the GN uses the inside out approach to flywheel- stator mounting. The flywheel is mounted backwards and the stator is mounted to the cover. Would be starting from scratch on mounting etc.

The banshee conversion is much cleaner and cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Kojack and gggGary like this.
  10. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm almost sure both GPZ and regular KZ 4 cylinder models used the same system. Maybe not the same igniter.
    As for the 4 wires, it's 2 per pickup and 2 boxes would be needed. Even if it is not a Hall effect, some sort of signal is generated, a pulse of sorts.
    If the gonzo boxes cannot be used, there are other aftermarket kits and a member rigged up a few systems using GM ignition boxes.

Kojack likes this.
  11. Team Junk

The non hall effect sensors are a good thing. The gonzo has worked with 3 totally different wire coil pickups I have tried so I expect the kz- gpz pickups will work fine.

A friend in the same pits with us at Daytona was running what I think was one of the first GPZ 750s. That thing was scarry fast and had the best brakes I'd seen up til that time. If I remember correctly. he placed pretty high maybe even in the top 10

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Kojack likes this.