TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

As a leap of faith I'm wiring Old Brown to wire directly to the Gonzo Box. Have a rainy 4 days ahead so hope to have the wiring done soon. Hoping the starter is sound and more a problem with the 40 year old stuff attached to it.

And why the hell is shrink tubing so expensive ?

Any ETA for boxes arriving in the vicinity of a running TCI bike ?

Any ETA for boxes arriving in the vicinity of a running TCI bike ?

Untitled.png

Maybe it is just the result of Covid-19 causing supply problems. For example a 12 pack of generic Zantac cost £2.30. Now due to shortages and cancer scares the price is now approximately £5. We may see a lot of this happening as the year progresses i.e. inflation/profiteering.

Keep up the good work Team Junk and Jim.

Last edited:
So... 4 dollar triggers just showed up. For size.....

IMG_20200523_143823.jpg

Next to TCI trigger....

IMG_20200523_143955.jpg

.... and in the stator cavity.

IMG_20200523_144050.jpg

Looks easily doable. Only one problem though.... these sensors are magnetic, whereas the TCI sensor isn't.

IMG_20200523_144959.jpg

Jack, since you're the brains behind this.... and prolly have tons of bookmarks to sort through, can you do some more research on this trigger? It looks to me like it's a magnet waiting for an iron core sensor to run under it? Instead of the other way around like the TCI system?
If that were the case, it'd be great. Replace 3 of the plain steel screws in the rotor with brass and leave the one steel in there. That would be the trigger. How cool would that be....

Last edited:
Jim my thinking on it is that the signal is generated by a change in the magnetic flux lines cutting the conductor of the trigger coil. A passing magnet or piece of iron will change the flux lines of the trigger coil.
A magnet may generate more signal than iron but I think it will work.

Jim my thinking on it is that the signal is generated by a change in the magnetic flux lines cutting the conductor of the trigger coil. A passing magnet or piece of iron will change the flux lines of the trigger coil.
A magnet may generate more signal than iron but I think it will work.
I tend to agree... either would give us a signal, Signal (pun intended ;)), but it would be nice to know how Yamaha did it.

Pickup looks just like I thought it would sitting in the stator cover. Do the mounts look they will line up if bent horizontally. I think the pickup being magnetized will be fine with the magnet.. That one screw is pretty close to the magnet so I steel and 3 brass might work. Might require ditching the woodriff key and finding the fire position by hand.

I think that magnetic pickup will be looking for a non-magnetic reluctor . ( I'm sorry, a reluctor that is not magnet) If so, it won't work. But I don't know.

Then again, would be interesting to know if a magnet passed across the TCI pickup is generating a voltage as a signal to the TCI box? Would be a reason that a weakened magnet
won't trigger anymore; not producing enough voltage for the TCI box? Again, I don't know. I did re-read this whole thread and I saw no mention of the above but I may have missed it. Don't even know if it applies. Only reason I might think that is as Jim showed, the copper around the magnet is acting as a Faraday cage to isolate the magnets field from the electrically induced field of the "hoochie"...technical term, so the pickup can see or receive the (induced voltage signal) from the magnet. Makes my brain hurt.

Last edited:
The test pickup in my simulator is almost the same as this pickup. It's magnetic and your right it is to pick the lump of steel on the outside of the flywheel. On the other hand it works just fine with a magnet. And the magnet Jim is using is a magnitude greater Gauss than the stock one so I don,t think the rotors field will affect it.

I think you will be able to position the pickup far enough away from the surface of the rotor to avoid picking up the screw heads because of the strength of the magnet. Could you compare the relative strength of the stock magnet vs. the neo. Perhaps different weight bolts that they will pick up. I really think the neo magnet is much more powerful so can be sensed at a higher flying height. How close is the stock pickup?

I think you will be able to position the pickup far enough away from the surface of the rotor to avoid picking up the screw heads... How close is the stock pickup?
I was just wondering the same thing, what does the donor bikes stock set up look like? Is there a magnet on the rotor or just iron? What's the stock air gap? So may questions...

I think the magnet is the safer bet here. Trying to snag a signal in the field of the rotor is tough. Think of the slap test.
I suspect the magnet is placed so it is opposite the magnetic field of the rotor. I don't think the screws will be magnetized enough to interfere as long as the flying height of the pickup is high enough. Like I have said before, that little magnet is pretty powerful.

Last edited:
Back