Tec Bike Parts - Rear Shock Quality?

fox23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What kind of adjustments do they have and are they rebuildable?

I've heard the consensus on the Ohlins-like piggyback Chinese shocks is they are all the same, just different branding and they are all pretty much crap. Looks more than function. Again, this is just internet hersay, so you must take it as fact :-D

Hi wannabe, I gather you haven't any personal experience on which to base your assertions?
As far as rebuild-ability, I didn't open the box and set about dismantling one just to see if I could... They are adjustable for spring preload and internal gas pressure, that gives both a ride height and rising rate spring setting. Damping is fixed.
Riding impressions are springing and damping on the stiffer side which is good for "spirited" riding
As budget suspension, used one up on a road bike in the up to 90mph bracket they have done what I have needed them to. Also they are still new, I can't say what they'll be like in 5yrs/50,000 miles time. If they fail before then they are probably cheaper to replace with likewise new than it costs to rebuild a pair of Ohlins or whatever...
You advocate taking Internet hearsay as fact, I do not share your faith in hearsay. Similarly your assertion about these units being "crap" is also unfounded.

Fox, if you're on a budget, buy them. If you want race track equipment dig deeper

JB

Jbinnington, I was kidding around. I have no experience with these, just have read that they weren't very good and even saw a few reports of them breaking at the welds where the shock shaft goes into the eye.

I haven't looked into these shocks in over a year, so there might be new contenders out there that are higher quality. I think you're right on the money with not expecting world class shocks at that price. Regardless, they do look cool and are most likely much better than worn out stockers. I'd likely get something like these if they were shorter (11.5" for my bobber), but I'll go with Hagons.

I was going to....then read about some breaking and decided I didn't want to risk it with suspension. Rather spend the money on ikons or something of the like when the time comes.

Posted via Mobile

I too love Ikon's. Great price for an unbelievable shock. Got them for my CB750, so hopefully they stay fresh for the few years while I get ready to build, haha!

By starting this thread I was hoping to hear some first hand experience from members here. With that said, I did do a quick search with google to see what others had to say. Again, a lot of people making comments about them who have never actually even seen a set in person let alone ride them. Here are a couple interesting pages I found on them.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=56409.0

http://chrislivengood.net/wp/tec-alloy-reservoir-shocks-analysis-update/

It seems they might not actually be as bad as some people think they are.

I'm not trying to say they're crap or not, just informing you what I've read from those with first hand experience. Here's the first account I saw of these with a break, but there is also praise from someone who bought 2 sets of them after liking them:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,76385.0.html

There is a thread out there where someone tried to improve on them and did quite a bit of work. It's your bike, so do what you want. They do look great, but with the failures I've gear about from multiple, unrelated sources, I felt I should pass the info along.

wannabridin, I am aware that there are many internet threads in existence that are reviewing "all these Chinese shocks." That's why I started this thread, here. Specifically targeting the XS650 crowd, and these TEC brand shocks alone.

The thread you just posted a link to look to be NTC brand. It's also a 5 year old thread so not only are they different brands, but the technology is likely now quite outdated vs. whats being produced today. Who knows what kinds or how many redesigns "all these chinese shocks" have gone through since 2010.

I'm trying to not have a for/against perspective on these shocks, as I have never personally seen or used them. Just wanted to start a discussion for people who have actually used them to provide a review.

The fact that you can take them apart is a very good thing. If I were to get a set, at the top on my "to do" list would be replacing the oil.

"Re: Remote Reservoir Shocks from Tec Bike Parts
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:34:16 »
With the RFY Shocks there is enough shock body accomodate about 10cm of travel. I believe they change the shaft length to accommodate the different length shocks they sell.

Asides from the lack information regarding actual spring rate of the springs, one of the bigger issues is that they appear to send the same spring length no matter the shaft length. This means that the longer shocks are built with very little preload whereas the shorter version can have a fair amount of preload. Preload of course effects sag greatly and is a key component of proper ride quality. As I've said in my other posts, the RFY shock itself is actually quite impressive. It might be cheap, but despite that the components are there to work correctly and reliably. In fact, I believe that they should outperform gas emulsion shocks given a proper rebuild and spring rate."

Quote from Do The Ton cafe racer forum

Seems that those who have tried them, like them within the limits of their price and budget. Those that rubbish them have no personal experience of the product and are venting personal Predudice.

It's a pair of RFYs that I have. They are stiffly sprung and damped and work well on my cafe racer. Probably too stiff out of the box for a North American cruiser type bike intended to be driven at lower speeds in straight lines. The makers don't specify spring rates or damping curves. For fifty quid the pair inc delivery from China I wouldn't expect that.
They suit me and my bike well and compliment the cartridge emulator forks that I built with new stanchions.

Elsewhere I have read that one of the vocal critics of these components, who hasn't any personal experience of them advocates filling pitted fork stanchions with epoxy glue as a repair. Would you trust the judgement of someone who glues up suspension components rather than replacing? New stanchions are hardly expensive after all.

Jonathan

The fact that you can take them apart is a very good thing. If I were to get a set, at the top on my "to do" list would be replacing the oil.

Agreed here. I think there's potential in this brand vs. the old ones, so they should be a decnet buy if you're willing to play with them a bit.

Back