Technical Excellence Award

59Tebo

59Tebo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Dear Administrator,
Would it be possible to create a new trophy category for a "Technical Excellence" award for those whose "How to..." articles are so above and beyond, they become the definitive work on their respective topic? They could be voted on, similar to the calendar, but, based on comprehensive content and an easy-to-follow narrative.
For starts, I would nominate JimD54, for his articles on top-end rebuilds and his article on the cam chain guide modification. I believe these are landmark, sport-changing articles, worthy of extraordinary recognition.
Others have made great contributions to our understanding of the Xs, beyond that found in the available manuals, and should be recognized. Just sayin'. Whaddya think?
59Tebo

I’d sure second that nomination.

There are a number of people on the forum who’ve made key contributions on major XS650 issues.

- how about the authors of the famous carb guide for example.

Pete

I say no........This is the sort of comment that makes any contribution worth while............1000 frustrations are wiped away by one positive.......the site is a collective

keninoc
Picked up this '80 xs several years ago from a guy who had it as a parts bike that was supplying parts to one that he was restoring. It was missing carb parts, side covers, a decent seat, battery etc. I got it running (barely), and then moved on to a TT 600 that I was restoring. A few months ago I got serious about restoring it and added new tires, seat, sump filter, starter gear, battery, brakes and quite a few other repairs that it needed. I just wanted to thank all of the contributors to this site for covering every possible thing that could go wrong with these bikes as I didn't have to ask any questions. EVERYTHING is covered on this site. You long time contributors have done a fantastic job making restoration easy. A huge Thank you to you guys.
img_0329-jpg.128587

How does a thread like this qualify for the vote..... http://www.xs650.com/threads/engine-rebuild-tips-not-so-common.32041/ .....priceless info and its a collection of ideas contributed by some regular and not so regular............

over the years every so often some one will post a thread thanking by name a few and the help in general. I think if some one wants to recognize contributions and name a few then that would be more of a site collective than elevating a few to a status thread...........i feel that is what the thread would become..............help is given free....rewards are like Keninoc's above .......... and as i said if someone wants to give a shout out then by all means do so

Last edited:
....a worthy point of view Skull.....

How about another suggestion: a supplier database.

We all know about (and have our views on) MikesXS / XS650Direct etc. but what about those slightly more obscure suppliers who seem to have the right stuff.

I have noted one or two others in just the past week or so (notably the carb parts people suggested in Dude's query for floats for his KH100 off-roader).

It seems to me that compiling all of those names and websites would be a very useful thing and certainly helpful to the newbys.

Pete

Hey Pete---I think the idea of a "supplier database" is a great proposal. The problems develop when it becomes a complaint/bitch spot.
tim

Hey Pete---I think the idea of a "supplier database" is a great proposal. The problems develop when it becomes a complaint/bitch spot.
tim

True enough Tim - although some sort of review attached to each listing by a person with actual experience is also darned useful.

Who will be the Judge? No, I don't like the idea, for many of the same reasons that Skull stated. I do think that the Tech section could be handled differently, with more info on some of the recurring subjects.

Scott

I think there is something people forget........If a thread is started, (lets say it is a supplier data base), the OP has the right to dictate the tone of the thread.....it can be stated as the first sentence......

Please keep on point with comments and contributions. This thread is an information thread for information about the product and how you have found it and the service of the shop/whatever........

Along those lines and also the OP can ask a poster to stop or remove an unwanted or totally of topic or unwanted comment..............At the end of the day it is your thread and yours to decide what the threads make up is and where/what you want it to portray.............If your mailman then the more Meme's the better:laugh:

Another good way to keep all the good information at the beginning is to make 3 posts and keep a couple of them blank and if the thread wanders into several pages then you, (as the OP), can re-post the pertinent information back to the beginning of the thread...What you will find is that someone will start a new thread with a complaint or a shout out on a service or part ...................What this does is require a certain amount of ongoing commitment from the OP to keep the thread up to date and as with another thread posted to link to and from that thread to yours............

This helps to condense the information and also gets into the realms of Petes other observation about the tech menu being a bit all over the place, by linking the threads both ways the information is condensed so so when a search is done and either of the threads come up and is read then the reader gets more information due to the links and doesn't have to search through more search threads.

Example's
Post #108
http://www.xs650.com/threads/review-of-some-parts-purchases-from-mikesxs.10849/page-6
Post #41
http://www.xs650.com/threads/petcock-fiber-washer-leak.50677/page-3

Post #85
http://www.xs650.com/threads/review-of-some-parts-purchases-from-mikesxs.10849/page-5
Post #50
http://www.xs650.com/threads/more-shitty-shit-from-mikesxs.35658/page-3

Really is up to us

Just do it and if it works out and is worthy then ask the admin to add it to the tech.................

Last edited:
Skull, we usually see eye to eye, but I disagree strongly with the proposition that the OP or anyone else owns and controls a thread. The forum works because members try hard to keep the discourse civil, but will tolerate only so much from trolls, fools, and shills before they call them out and confront them. As a result trolling, shilling, and misinformation are kept to a minimum.

Re. the tech menu, it's usable. Yes, the user may have to do a bit of looking to find what he wants. But IMO if said user wants to be spoon fed he shouldn't be playing DIY with old machines to begin with. Teach them to fish!

Yes, there are motorcycle shops for a reason. Some people need them. They'll never be able to do their own work. If you're at least a little bit mechanically inclined, we can usually help out.

Griz, Your right in a sense. The suggestions in the rules do allow for keeping a thread on track by asking that posters keep the posts relevant to the thread subject.

I was a bit black and white. i also offered an alternative to keep the information in one place instead of spread out over several pages inter-spread with whatever people post that isn't on point

Yes it is a free for all in general but it has been done before where the thread maker has asked that posts be only as the requested subject matter and it was adhered to....It was Bigjimmy's thread where members posted their address as a way point for travelers and what they were prepared to do as a stop over or as help in an emergency...........

I think a shop list is a good idea............

Why do people need recognition? Need an award, an "at a boy" or a cookie? It's like when a guy signs up for a job, he does it and then gets called a "hero". Not a fan. I'm not that old but I was raised with the idea; Don't own anything you can't fix. Of course with the advances in technology this is difficult BUT the same technology can bail you out! Like this forum or YouTube. Sure I sound like a butthole. If you don't wanna just be a good person and help someone out....whatever, ha! My thoughts, if you want your pole smoked, get a girly friend! In a pinch, a hooker will do. Haha! When I hit the "Like" button, I am sincere. I will leave a positive comment. This should suffice, I do admit, when I figure something out, I'll post a video. I enjoy the likes and most of the comments.

Back