Testing my coils

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to test my Coils while on the bike?
I left the key on while troubleshooting a flasher issue. I felt one coil get pretty warm, I am not having good fire on that side now.
thanks all.
Cousin Larry

You can test them on the bike. Same as on a bench. Test the primary windings and the secondary as normal.
Do you have a kill switch? They save coils ya know.

If your spark output is diminishing, you may also want to test your spark plug cap, especially if it's an original. They go bad. Their resistance starts to climb and eventually that starts choking off the spark. Best thing to do is replace them with new NGK caps. I do it on all these, plug wires too.

You can test them on the bike. Same as on a bench. Test the primary windings and the secondary as normal.

Do you have a kill switch? They save coils ya know.
How do you test the coils? I have a multimeter.
I didn't think of the kill switch, I haven't worked on anything with points in nearly 20 years beside oil changes. This Bike has sat for close to 14 and I didn't have to touch it before that since I bought it 4 years earlier, I only put about 2k on it.

Coil tests .....

CoilTests.jpg

Test through the plug wire or remove it and test off the wire connection stud in the coil. Don't test through the plug cap. That will add the cap's resistance to the coil's. While the cap or cap/wire is off, do test through that to see the cap's resistance.

Back