Thaddeus’s ‘77 Survivor

D8C10465-EE34-418B-B834-54412AF4584F.jpeg
922D524E-1FB1-4D37-8A86-E5CC84CE3D58.jpeg

Okay, so I have started a new thread at the guru’s suggestion to (hopefully) condense all my posts. As of today, I am having a couple issues with the bike that are bugging me. When I’m already at highway speed, like 55+ in 5th, (but not only in 5th) if I open it up full throttle, after a few seconds I will hear and feel the engine revving at a higher tone, and the rpm’s raise a bit, like to 5k, but the bike isnt pulling any faster. Is this 5th gear “slipping”? This doesn't ALWAYS happen though, it’s intermittent. What could cause/remedy that? Also, I feel like since my valve adjustment and pamco swap, my bike doesnt accelerate as fast. I am also experiencing a lurch when cruising around a constant speed and then blipping throttle to accelerate fast, like when I’m in a 35 mph zone that turns to 55 and I want to just gun it. I read one post where someone said that they felt a “seat of the pants” difference when they adjusted the intakes to 2 instead of 3. I have searched the forum AND the net and I can't find an explanation of the effects of valve lash on performance. Can anyone explain this or offer any input on potential things for me to check? Could these possibly be timing issues? I understand that unfortunately I changed 3 major things at once, so ruling out just 1 is kinda impossible now. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
if I open it up full throttle, after a few seconds I will hear and feel the engine revving at a higher tone, and the rpm’s raise a bit, like to 5k, but the bike isnt pulling any faster. Is this 5th gear “slipping”?
Clutch is slipping. What oil are you using? It need to be "wet clutch" compatible.

... Also, I feel like since my valve adjustment and pamco swap, my bike doesnt accelerate as fast. Iam also experiencing a lurch when cruising around a constant speed and then blipping throttle to accelerate fast, like wen I’m in a 35 mph zone that turns to 55 and I want to just gun it. I read one post where someone said that they felt a “seat of the pants” difference when they adjusted the intakes to 2 instead of 3. Also, when at highway speed, I have searched the forum AND the net and I can't find an explanation of the effects of valve lash on performance. Can anyone explain this or offer any input on potential things for me to check?

Just for fun, set your valve lash at 0.006" and 0.012".

Post #3.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/1980-xs650-tops-out-at-65.48935/#post-499112

Ignore the clatter, and see if it performs differently...

Clutch is slipping. What oil are you using? It need to be "wet clutch" compatible.
I’m using valvoline “v twin” motorcycle oil; only stuff I’ve put in it since I’ve owned it. EDIT- I actually think I used Mobil 1. Damnit,I can’t remember anything right now. I’m not at home. I’ll have to double check. Whatever brand it is, I’m almost positive it’s 20-50 and I know I have only used the same stuff. EDIT AGAIN- Ok, it’s Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50

Last edited:
20-50 is about max viscosity. I happen to like valvoline VR1, But clutch slip starting about 5K RPM is a pretty common issue.
There's hundreds of threads and dozens of possibles but start by rechecking the worm gear set screw for proper lash. Even if you've done it, recheck.

C8F8079D-C501-4D7D-983D-ABFEE74EDB4A.jpeg
E20D59A5-0BEA-412E-AC8C-E53829C4C27C.jpeg
Here are some more pics of The bike. The ones up top are from the day the PO delivered it to my place. I didnt even have my MC License yet. Pics on bottom are the way she looks now, with about 3,000 good miles (and an additional $1,000.00) between us.
28CE0FEF-3861-4C02-8FD8-3DCFD1CBA57D.jpeg

120D93B5-5C8D-416C-9D71-B1C0FE3308EE.jpeg

Just developed an oil leak on the lower RH sidecover, around the starter gear train cover. Bothers me because it just popped up out of nowhere. 3,000 miles without a drop of oil leaked, and now this.

Well, I guess I mean both. I noticed oil dripping from the RH exhaust pipe, and when I got down on the ground to inspect it I noticed oil collecting on the starter gear cover as well. So in my mind’s eye from earlier they were both together. I may need to really clean off the bottom and reinspect to determine the source. I lubed the tach cable with motor oil when I swapped tachs a few weeks ago, and it looks like there is still oil seeping out of the base of the tach cable as well, so that may be dripping down the pipe and collecting.

Tach drive leaks are quite common even a new seal doesn't always stop them, the shaft is usually pretty chewed up at the seaL.

Back