The 1971 "clone" build

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Time for this build to happen. In an endeavor to score a 1972 Honda XL, which for the life of me I cant get it to not blow coils, I'm restomodding a 1980 sg(maybe sh, doesn't matter, 3GO-xxxxx).
The owner has already scored the period pieces, and done a little work, but now he has no place to work on it, so I will finish the job, and add my own special touches.
He scored a rear and front 1971 wheels, powder coated the rims sky blue, added switch boxes from a mid (70{?}), cut down a 1971 rear fender.
I'm thinking its kind of like how the big three are making cars with cues from the 60's 70's look, the new Camaro, charger, mustang.
I want this bike to reflect that feeling. Alittle tighter, alittle smaller, dependable electrics.
I'm stripping the wireing out, and will prolly have daddyg make me a new harness.
I'm keeping the starter, turn signals, horn, headlight, battery black box. Basically turning an ugly duckling into a swan.
This motor runs. I rebuilt the top end on it 5 years ago. So at least this time I don't have to rebuild a engine !
Heres the pics so far
[/URL][/IMG]
new tucked turn signals.
[/URL][/IMG]
Rear loop has been shortened, crappy mikesxs shocks, cut down 71 fender.
[/URL][/IMG]
I will be in the market for old style gauges. 650skull, you out there?
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
I'm not sure what year these boxes are. I have a linked 79 set of 38's, so great that its a single throttle cable.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is the motolanna disk to drum bracket. Its meant for a sr500, xs400, but with some grinder file work, it fits well. the "lock bar" on the motolanna part was 1/8 wider than needed for a 1971 drum, and sat a little lower, but carefull file/grinding makes it slide right into position. Its not painted, and the mill marks are gaga-groovy, making my grind marks show up when they aren't that bad in person. I'm gonna get it anodized.
[/URL][/IMG]
Angus approves. How 'bout you?:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0080_zpsvp8yn66e.jpg
    IMG_0080_zpsvp8yn66e.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0069_zpshjs3ansi.jpg
    IMG_0069_zpshjs3ansi.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0072_zps7ltbe8dn.jpg
    IMG_0072_zps7ltbe8dn.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0073_zpsk1p6bc1o.jpg
    IMG_0073_zpsk1p6bc1o.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0075_zps2xfvgz5i.jpg
    IMG_0075_zps2xfvgz5i.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0076_zpsdpsousn7.jpg
    IMG_0076_zpsdpsousn7.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0077_zpsr1wkmr3v.jpg
    IMG_0077_zpsr1wkmr3v.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0078_zpst5uw3jpj.jpg
    IMG_0078_zpst5uw3jpj.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0079_zpsjmxl6dml.jpg
    IMG_0079_zpsjmxl6dml.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0081_zpsyd4nai3l.jpg
    IMG_0081_zpsyd4nai3l.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1
You're well on your way, with that front drum lug and hard-to-find left switch.
A pair of XS2 or TX instruments shouldn't be too hard to find.
But, those are straight-exit instruments, need cable clearance for those behind the headlight.
Seen a couple of instrument mount plates on eBay, at collector pricing.
Might be able to carve out your own, though...

Then carve I will. Im a metal man, its just like wood. The tools are just noisier.
I may just keep the angle of the later gauges, but use early ones. The no angle of the early gauges im not fond of.
So what year are the switch boxes? why is the left one rare? Looks the same as my 71, just painted black, instead of red.
I have a head light that I think is from a bsa? all chrome, and big, so I should be able to transfer electrical junctions into it.

76 to 78 Standard gauges have more of the old style look. The brackets differ, (76-79 Standards and the Specials), but the gauges interchange from 76-83.................The 74/75 Gauges don't fit into the later brackets or cups and the 74/75 gauge bracket doesn't lend to much modification. It is cast so limited to what can be done without braking it.

I will post some pics later.

Removing the towers and changing the ignition can free up space for an old style Volt meter and allow space for making up your own indicator box and some rev counters have 3 lights and others have 2.

Yep...........A pic of my 80SG that has a 78/79 Gauge bracket/tower and a set of 76 Gauges

Attachments

• 2z 76XSC-79SF.JPG
    2z 76XSC-79SF.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 280
...So what year are the switch boxes? why is the left one rare?

Only the 70-73 bikes had a left handlebar switch with both headlight on/off and high/low switches.
After that, it was only the high/low.

The silver bodied switch in your pic is a 70-71 version.

70-71-LeftSwitch.jpg

These combo on/off and hi/lo switches are very hard to find.
More info here:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18387
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34081
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41970

...Looks the same as my 71, just painted black, instead of red...

You completely lost me there, bud...

thanks scull, that looks classic.
Two many, the lettering on my 71 is red, where as this box has black lettering. I know some one in the past may have stripped and repainted either one, but.....

Ok, I see what you meant.

... the lettering on my 71 is red, where as this box has black lettering...

There were actually 3 different left switches on these early models, prefixed 235, 256, and 306. See part #3 in this pic. I recall from older posts that the 235 came from a different/older streetbike, and had black markings.

Attachments

• Handlebar-70-72.jpg
    Handlebar-70-72.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 273
Alright... let me ask you guys something. Although I wanted to rip out all the wiring, and get fresh new wires from daddyg, this bikes wiring works fine. everything works.
There is suddenly a budget crunch on this bike, and looking at early side covers is more important , but the cost of useable side covers put the kiabosh on new wires.
It will get new coil and plug wires and caps, but what would you do?
The bike isn't see-through like a chop, so everything will be hidden just like a stock '80

No brain er, if the wiring woks use it till you have the funds or whatever.

3G0, 80G, hinged seat and metal side covers. Paint the side-covers to suit, or get a set of 74-79 Standard ones and put them on the bike. The mounting slots are longer so will fit without to much drama.

Early 70-73 Side-covers wont mount on the 80G without major modifications.

Attachments

• 79 XS 1.jpg
    79 XS 1.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 532
The seat I have for it is a old travelcade direct replacement for the stocker, it don't fit anymore, but is nice, very cushy, I may sell it.
I had figured as much on the wiring.
At least this way all I have to worry about is the control boxes.nand tail lights
I was trying to figure out where to put the starter button, then i realized I'll just use the horn button on the left
As for the side covers, does anyone make that chrome scallop thing that is on the early covers? I see the " xs650 badge on eBay all the time.

It's a straight up Special. It's amazing what a good paint job can do.

Well, huh??? That is amazing!

...As for the side covers, does anyone make that chrome scallop thing that is on the early covers? I see the " xs650 badge on eBay all the time.

You mean these? There goes the budget....

Item: YAMAHA XS1 XS1B XS2 TX650 NEW CHROME SIDECOVER TRIM

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=181793559679&alt=web

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS1-XS1B-XS2-TX650-NEW-CHROME-SIDECOVER-TRIM-/181793559679

Attachments

• XS1SideCoverTrim.jpg
    XS1SideCoverTrim.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 279
Omg! 67$ each for the scalopp. Fuuuuu........
Working on the boxes today. R&d dielectric goo, figuring out what needs powers,which wires are the signal canceled, lost a ball in to older left side. Used a small screw in its place.mworks the same
Waiting for solder IRon to heat up

Back