The 2017 Smoky Mountain Dogwood Rally

Nice here in NC today, going to get a little riding in myself. I "think" my brother will be tagging along for the Dogwood. If I can find that "English Racer in a sea of Stingrays" ( I LOVE that line) we'll both be on XS's........if not, he'll just have to settle for a lesser bike.;)

Have fun today......be safe.......your friend in NC, Gordon

0305171348_zpsdvk9nyzu.jpg

Two Wheels of Suches opened for the season yesterday. I spent a couple of hours there today, catching up with the regulars.
DSCN5025_zpsravdt8jn.jpg

DSCN5032_zpszauczzjp.jpg

Skip runs the grill.

DSCN5017_zpschbwwo1g.jpg

DSCN5033_zpsvwfw3quj.jpg

DSCN5035_zpsumarz371.jpg

44-45 days left......I still have time to find that 1978 Standard I'm looking for.

GREAT photo's Marty, thank you for sharing. We are lucky to have those kinds of places so close to us and.... some of the best motorcycle roads on the East Coast.

I'm looking forward to it.

I just found out over the weekend that I "might" have an entry in the Moto Giro being held in Asheville, NC in May. Been wanting to do one of those for a LONG time but never could line up an entry and a bike at the same time. This could be my year I get to check off one of those bucket list items........that said, why not check off one of yours and attend Marty's Dogwood Rally in April......I can pretty much guarantee you won't regret it.

I'll tell you this......the folks I met last year are some of the most friendly I've been around and they made a newcomer (me) feel welcome right off the bat. If you've ever sat around with a group of motorcyclist it doesn't take long to find something to talk about. If you're worried about your motorcycle not being nice enough to show off......well yours COULDN'T be as ratty as mine so just park next to mine and your's will look much better. Pack up and come along.....you'll want to return. Weather is something Marty can't control.....so watch the forcast and come prepaired. It's beautiful up in those mountains that time of year.

Take care and hope to see ya there......I know I'm looking forward to it.

Gordon in NC

Last edited:
Escape from the great white North and come down and share in the fun. OR.....get away from the love bugs and heat and head to the North Georgia mountains.....you won't regret it.

Ride em......they won't get you anywhere hiding em.

Gordon in NC
1975 XS650B ......Ratty but loved

Well, things have changed since I reserved and today I have cancelled my reservation for cabin 6 and not because I did not want to go.
The local real estate market is on fire which means the market has finally caught up with the cost of my reno and then some. To get all my stuff organized and put into storage so the stagers can have free rein will take most of my time for the next couple months so to take 10 days off in late April cannot happen. That and little items to be touched up and made better in the house will occupy my time till May. Amazing what one sees walking through a house with buyer's eyes rather than owner's eyes.
We are moving three and a half hours west of here where shut downs in the car part feeder plants etc. have resulted in a population exodus and much cheaper real estate prices, besides all my wife's siblings are around there.
Once we get settled in, I will be back on the rally trail.

I did some riding in the area with John Chaves today. Me in the background.
17523073_10210865169459014_7008025618303478328_n.jpg

17626447_10210865541748321_1007536920688408317_n.jpg

0402171324_zps1zcl7v0j.jpg

In three weeks, I expect the place to be filled up with XS650's.

Two weeks!
If you have a chopper or bobber, brat, or whatever, now would be a good time to show us you can ride that thing. Take that as a challenge. Make the trip and I promise the photographic evidence will get posted.

1712248688434.png

My wife's mother took a turn for the worst, we're packed but on standby for now.

If.......we make it I'll have my "little" brother with me (on another brand) and we'll be in cabin #5 arriving Friday afternoon.

Probably do our own ride on Saturday and meet up with the group at the lunch stop......for a lot of reasons.

The waterfall will be nice.......but with the forecast like it is..... it might not be necessary.

See you guys down the road......have a safe trip.

Gordon in NC

Dangit boys.....I was just kidding about the weather. It's early spring in the North Georgia mountains.....it'll be beautiful no matter what AND a trip to the waterfall will be awesome.

No change with the mother in law....she's resting. It will be a miracle if she gets through this one, but she's lived a long, happy and full life.

I'm packed......the Flamingo's ready.....come on Friday morning.

water%20061.jpg

Still on hold but ready.......Gordon in NC

My wife's mother took a turn for the worst, we're packed but on standby for now.

If.......we make it I'll have my "little" brother with me (on another brand) and we'll be in cabin #5 arriving Friday afternoon.

Probably do our own ride on Saturday and meet up with the group at the lunch stop......for a lot of reasons.

The waterfall will be nice.......but with the forecast like it is..... it might not be necessary.

See you guys down the road......have a safe trip.

Gordon in NC

I'm hoping for the best. Whatever that may be. Peace.

Thank you Marty, at this point I'm not sure what "best" is. When your quality of life gets to the point where you're not happy...what's the point?

She's resting and appears to be in no pain. I will have to make the decision tomorrow because if I'm still going to make the Dogwood I need to shuttle a bike over to my brother's house by tomorrow evening.

Family first, motorcycles next.......work coming in at a distance 3rd.

Gordon in NC....wishing you ALL the best.

Good news......bad news.

Bad news..... my mother in law is getting worst and my wife has to head out. We have SO many animals here and I need to stay here to take care of them so I have to cancel my Dogwood Rally trip. I've been looking forward to this for MONTHS......bike is packed and ready to go but it just isn't going to happen and I'll have to deal with it.

Good news? I have a cabin rented for the weekend. I'm offering it to anybody wanting to attend the rally ABSOLUTELY FREE of charge. Checking in Friday April 21 and checking out Sunday April 23. If you want it just let me know and I'll set you up. Please let me know ASAP because I'm calling the campground tomorrow and letting them know if there's going to be anybody in the cabin and if not they can rent it again if need be. Cabin #5.

Contact me here with a reply or a PM.......or email me at DAD1150@aol.com Sooner the better.

Hope you fellows have the BEST time you've ever had on two wheels. PLENTY of photos please so we can come along and you can THANK ME because since I'm not going.....i betcha it won't rain a drop.

Missing it already.........but family first.........Gordon in NC

I'm considering putting Anna Ruby Falls on the Saturday itinerary. We'll do it after lunch, when you need the walk. It's a 1/2 mile paved trail to the viewing decks and a $3 fee. No dirt road this time.
http://www.unicoistatepark.org/anna-ruby-falls.html
Will the path be swept, lattes at the falls, bike covers packed in the sag van? Can't let baby get dusty and those prying eyes...
Seriously you guys ENJOY.
Gordon; tough times, but you'll make the right choice. In time you will even believe you did it right.

Back