The 81's alive.

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My 81 has sat a few years. Had the 83 to get ship shape. Borrowed a few parts to get that one going and get brakes to work on the 75.
Now that both of them are road ready I figured the 81 was due. It had ignition trouble. I bought a Pamco New Ignition, the one with the E-advancer on the board.
I had to get an advancer rod and bushings. Got the rod of Ebay. I try not to deal with Mike's anymore than I have to. They were the only place that had bushings.
Me being who I am. Did some measuring and found the inside of the cam measured .625. The OD on the rod Was .473. The depth of the bore was about .725.
I went down to the local hardware store and looked through the bushings and spacers. Found some steel spacers 5/8 inch OD x 1/2 ID. x7/8 inch long.
Took two home and cut to 3/4 inch long. A bit tight to fit the cam. I cut a slot in the spacer. It now slipped right in.
The ID got a bit smaller but left the rod a bit wobbly. I had some aluminum tape for heat ducts. I bought this for working on bullet casting molds. You can use it to make slightly bigger bullets. If it can withstand the 750 degrees of molten lead it should hold up in the cam shaft.
I used this to wrap two layers around the rod were it rides in bushings.
It slid trough the bushing ok but wouldn't slide through the cam.
Hmm I thought, how can I make this work. I thought that the rotor end should run true and the other can wobble a bit.
So that's what I did.
When I installed the advance adapter It fit's in the rod snug and on the cam snug. It lined up centered pretty good.
Once it was all in place, On to wiring.
I unplugged to plug where the TCI box plugs into the harness. I then thought that will be a good place to hook in the Pamco. I had an old harness that was in rough shape. I took a 6 wire plug off that harness and took the wires out of it. Took a red/white wire, A black wire and couldn't find a green or orange wire so took a yellow wire. All with the proper ends on the, cut about 6 inches long and plugged them into the plug from old harness so they matched up to the red/white black and orange wires in the TCI harness plug.
Wired it all up. Got the battery that was in it. Had it on the charger. it charges ok but won't hold a charge, Need a new one. Once installed put some fresh gas in the tank. Drained the carbs to be sure fresh gas was flowing out the drains and with a bit of fussing it started up just fine. Runs very well.
It needs a few things to get road ready. Tidy up my wiring, New drive chain, borrowed for the 83. Brake parts I borrowed for the 83 and 75.
While I had It running the headlight didn't come on, Checked to see if charging, no charge. Need to fix that. Everything else seems to work. Horn, turns, brake lights. When it gets dark enough I can see if gauge lights work. Neutral and turn dash lights work. Only thing is headlight.
The way I have the wiring rigged as plug and play After I get the charging system going I may try plugging the TCI back in. Just to see if it will run. If not that's fine. I can pull it off, pickups and all and let someone else play with it. Maybe some else can get it to work.
Been keeping the plates and Ins up on it so I just need the inspection sticker and off we go.
Then all my bikes will be road ready.
Leo

One thing I forgot. On the pins. While I was at the hardware store I bought some cheap drill bits. 7/64's. They are a bit loose in the holes but the 1/8 is too big. Cut pieces of a bit long then put in my drill to spin while toughing them to my bench grinder. Just a bit, try it, Just a bit try it to get the length just right.
Needed some screws to hold the ignition plate in the housing. Lowes has metric stainless steel hardware. Not everything but enough. The size screws I need in the length I needed were $.70 for a pack of three. The spacers were $2.99 each.
Leo

The Harley Is pretty easy to maintain. Change the oil, plugs and tires as needed.
The others being XS650's we all know the routine.
I plan on selling the 81 and 83. I bought them for that reason. I enjoy riding them so they are still here. The 81 was just to try flipping you might say. Get it, do the minimum to get roadworthy then sell. The 83 I got through a friend. It had a dead battery. a PO tried to jump start off a running car. Not a good Idea. The 100 amp surge when the car noticed the voltage drop when the bike cranked over. This surge didn't do the Ignition any good. burnt out not only the TCI box but pick ups to.
A new ignition, tires and a chain and rear brake shoes borrowed from the 81 and she's ready to go. The fiber part came off the alloy backer, One backer was broke. I think the fiber came off first, then the fiber jammed the brakes and broke the backer.
The 81 is getting there. Checked out the charging system and did as I often tell others to do. Start with the easy things. The brushes were the culprit. Easy to find, easy to fix. Had a spare set.
I have a battery, new brake shoes, and drive chain. Need to either swap front brake parts around or buy some new parts. A master cylinder and lines.
I think I'll try a smaller M/C and a single disc on the front.
I do like my bikes, but since I retired and my income has shrunk a bit. I can't afford this many bikes.
I'll see if I have pics of my bikes, if so I will post them on this thread.
Leo

The brakes shoes came in today. They are EBC's I got from Niche Cycle. $20.92 with shipping. Least expensive Ebay had.
They have diagonal grooves cut into the pads. Supposes to shed water by pushing it along the cuts to run out of drum.
Did all the recommended cleaning and greasing of moving parts. They can be a bit tough to put back on. Strong springs.
The rear wheel is back together, just waiting on the chain and battery.
While shopping for chains, I saw one was listed for over $1100. Didn't look at that one very long.
Leo

Back