The Animated Engine Thread

http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/Club_events.htm

588m.jpg

A lot of the displays and engines are in the wooded area.

That is a very interesting collection of photos and videos indeed. The difficulty with just about all of these engines is that the mechanical losses (internal friction) inherent in their designs is just about the same as the amount of power they can produce, which leaves little extra power available to drive a road wheel or power a propellor. Either that, or they have such poor volumetric efficiency that you cannot get the mixture to reliably combust and they have horrendous emissions characteristics.

About once a month or so, for many years, I would get calls from folks who had invented a new type of engine - all they needed was $10 million to build a prototype. My secretary even coined a 3-letter acronym for them: WIC (which stands for Wacky Inventor Call).

One guy actually DID build a prototype which functioned - sort of. He must have spent several hundred thousand dollars of his own money on machining and fancy animated videos. He claimed that his engine would run on any fuel and that it would have zero emissions while producing 40% more power than any other engine, pound for pound. It looked like a beer keg and had a bunch of hoses and wires sticking out of it. The thing was "powered" by a 10 HP electric motor and when he ran it - nothing would happen for about 10 seconds and then an enormous jet of flame would erupt from the exhaust port along with an amazingly loud BANG!

I asked him what the electric motor was for - aside from use as a starter - and he said "Well, without it the engine doesn't run". It turned out that he had the intake and exhaust port timing all wrong. When I pointed this out to him, he said: "Oh, that's engineering stuff and I don't know anything about that". What he had created was actually a machine for processing gasoline (or in fact, any fuel), into noise. Too bad - no lucrative consulting contract for Pete on that one.

I guess there is a reason why just about all engines work on just about the same set of principles. Nikolaus Otto and Rudolf Diesel had it right back in the 19th century - with minor variations along the way.

Cheers,

Pete

I felt so sorry for the guy. He was convinced that he knew more about engines than every engineer in the world.

Oh well.

In #61, that engine is called the triple expansion steam engine. I think Dad said he worked on them while he was in the Merchant Marines during the '30's.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike!

That article on the VCE by Saab is very interesting. Unfortunately, like most of these ideas, cost or mechanical losses defeat them.

Cheers,

Pete

When I worked with younger boys in my office, it was often quite difficult to get their attention. So I would click on the U-Tube link to the rotary engine (posted earlier) and play the whole thing. Never failed to get them to focus.

The Human Genome Project, which started in 1984, set out to map all the nucleotides contained in a human haploid reference genome (more than three billion) and was "completed" in 2000.

d0eb1adf62205527979630ab8ef34544.jpg

However, this multi-billion dollar research project failed to discover the gene which obviously exists somewhere on a DNA strand of (almost) every single human boy, the one that has "Engine" written all over it. Male human beings appear to have an innate affinity for these wonderful machines.

I knew this with a passion at about age 8.

Last edited:
When I worked with younger boys in my office, it was often quite difficult to get their attention. So I would click on the U-Tube link to the rotary engine (posted earlier) and play the whole thing. Never failed to get them to focus.

I remember being sixteen years old and sitting with my dad in a Denny’s one night, and him drawing on a napkin, explaining how a Wankel motor worked.
I loved that old man. We never agreed about politics or much. But we connected on how things worked. We shared a love of mechanics and engineering.

I remember being sixteen years old and sitting with my dad in a Denny’s one night, and him drawing on a napkin, explaining how a Wankel motor worked...

I remember being 20 and sitting with my dad in a Jim's restaurant one night.
We drove there in his new Wankel engined Mazda RX-2, and spent the evening discussing this engineering marvel.

Boing, boing, boing, versus "hmmmmm"...

I had an RX-7 Turbo, with its amazing array of vacuum-operated engine components.
A sweet little engine, but of course an inherent weakness at the apex seals, cracking of the exhaust manifold, and warping of the sealing surface of the engine case at the outlet to the exhaust manifold.

rx7_0002.small.jpg

Back