The brown wire from my reg/rec is ruining my life.

iantheowl

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, new guy here. so, i hate beating a dead horse but i too have a charging problem. ive searched the tech help, other peoples threads, etc. but no one seems to have the same issue i do.

when the brown wire from my brush/rotor assembly is connected to the brown wire from my reg/rec i have no spark. but when i have it disconnected from my reg/rec the bike runs fine although it wont charge. this issue is destroying me. ive troubleshot everything i can think of but clearly im not doing something right.

the bike is an 81/82 ? im not entirely sure. im running a headlight and a tail light. all the wiring as far as pick up coil, reg/rec, and TCI is wired according to wiring diagrams ive got from this forum and my clymer book.

does anyone have any idea? please help!

-ian

The only thing I could think of is check your harness for any shorts, like a melted connector, cut insulation, or other things like that. Look for anything grounding out that should not be, and vice versa. Good luck.

If I were to take a wild guess with this little information I'd say to check your rectifier. sounds like a short in the rectifier. these are old diodes, and it happens.

If it was an open, it would act the same as it does without magical brown wire connected.

thanks guys. I made sure that when I ran wires to make my new harness, that all my connections were good, taped and heat shrunk. as far as the rectifier, it's a new one I bought from mikesxs. I ran into this problem the first time I wired it. and just capped off the brown going to my brush(as a quick fix) just so I could ride. but now that I've broke down a few times, I'm trying to get things legit. sorry this all sounds so vague. I'll draw up a literal representation of my current wiring and post the schematic. perhaps that will be easier to follow.

is this the diagram you used?
It has worked well for me in the past.
xs650wiring.jpg

iantheowl;

What condition are the brushes in? Are they less than 3/8"? Brushes are a wear item. Perhaps there is sparking at the brushes that is causing electrical interference with the TCI. Try installing new brushes.

There are three different voltage regulators from mikes, one regulates ground (what you need) the other two regulate the hot (79 down) Make sure you ordered AND they shipped the correct regulator.
Solid State Rectifier/Regulator

24-2087.jpg

Solid State Rectifier/Regulator for 1980-84 XS650. Made in Japan by original
supplier. Direct plug in replacement for 1980-84. Not for use on earlier models.
Part #24-2087
$109.00 USD Ea
Add to Cart

Solid State Rectifier Regulator

24-2089.jpg

Solid State Rectifier Regulator - Replaces Original individual units used on
1970-79 650's. Comes with connector block/terminal kits and instructions to
wire in direct to Original wiring harness.

Note:
This Rectifier/Regulator is sold only for use with stock 1970-79 wire harnesses.
If you are purchasing it for use on a chopper or custom, please note that we can't
accept returns for any reason due to the possibility of it being incorrectly installed.

Regulator/Rectifier

24-2085.jpg

Regulator/Rectifier- Solid state replacement for original separate factory unit
as used on 1970-79 650's. Direct plug in to stock harness.
The top part of photo shown is a side view. The bottom part of photo shown
is front view.

Note: wiring in connector plug must be rearranged as shown.

yep, I already checked the brushes and I went ahead and ordered an installed new ones. and the regulator I ordered and installed is the first one you posted there. :/ as you can see, this charging issue is almost illogical! my reg/rec is the only component I haven't tested yet. I just figured it was new and therefor in proper working order..

If it makes you feel any better I have heard this one before. Hooking up the brown wire is dropping the voltage for some reason. The TCI likes it's 12 volts, if the system drops much below 12 it quits.
One more thing to check. There are two different length screws that hold on the brushes and the wire harness clips, mix up the positions and one screw will stick through and ground on the slip ring. Don't ask why I know this!

i spent some time tonight and identified each wire. here's exactly how i have everything wired...

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• xsdiagram.jpg
    xsdiagram.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 893
oops, there's supposed to be a black line connecting my starter solenoid to my (+) battery terminal... just imagine its there ;)

Posted via Mobile

how many ohms is the rotor? 5.2 ohms or so is normal if it's much below 5 it's bad if it's below 4 it could be causing your problem. How big is your battery?

no charge when the brown from my brush is connected, 12v batt, and my rotors' resistance was right at 5 ohms.

let me clarify, James. my coil won't spark when the brown from my brush is connected. and will not charge with it disconnected..

what if you have it running and then connect the brown? or unplug the headlight and see what happens. Or put a battery charger on the bike start it and then disconnect the battery charger. I am wondering if the load of the head light and rotor drop the voltage enough to kill off the TCI before it can start charging.

with your bike not running and your batt disconnected. do a resistance check from brown to gnd and report the results?

then take out your tail light running light and report it again.

I want you to disconnect things that are in your wiring diagram that take off of brown until it reads open, then start the bike on dead loss and reconnect it

Back