The brown wire from my reg/rec is ruining my life.

my resistance from the brown wire to ground is 0.4 ohms read from the reg/rec. I started the bike with the headlight and tail light disconnected and once it was at idle I touched the brown from my brush to the brown from my reg/rec and the bike died. interestingly though, touching the two browns together caused arcing. almost like it was going to ground.

Start removing things until that brown wire coming from your alternator reads open. reconnect each part until it reads < 1 ohm again. That'll be your problem, I think.

I suspect you have a short to ground on your +V coming out of the alternator, OR you have a bad alternator or bad brush setup.

Also test the resistance from the brown IN on the alternator to ground. It should be > 4-5 ohms but not sure exactly how much the windings read.

my rotor windings read 5.7 ohms. but that number jumps around depending on where I take my reading from. I have four wires tied together to my brown that are key switched to the battery. I found a 4 ohm resistance to ground on my brake running light and a 1 ohm resistance to ground on my headlight. I then re-routed my lighting circuits to the second position on my keyswitch. my brown from the reg/rec is now connected to the brush and the bike started and ran. at idle my battery read 11.9 volts and at 3000rpm read 12.8 volts. is that considered a good charge? I road to work today and checked it again. the battery read 11.2 volts. I road home and it died halfway there :mad: whiskey tango foxtrot?!!!?!??

after I got the bike back home, the battery voltage read 10.2 volts and it didn't have enough amperage to turn my starter over. that battery went through 3 load tests and came out with flying colors. I just don't know anymore... anyone wanna buy a bike??

So your rotor is good, brushes are new. sounds like you know the battery is good. That leaves stator regulator and wiring.
Remove the brush wires, check resistance from either rotor ring to the engine it should be infinite (no reading or needle movement.) If the needle moves or you get a reading other than infinite then the rotor internal wiring is grounded out somewhere.
If that checks good. then,

On your system one brush goes to +12 the other brush is grounded through the regulator as needed. SO....disconnect the green brush wire (the one that grounds to the regulator) . have the brown brush wire going to +12 like in the diagram. Start the engine. Touch a wire from the (green) brush to ground, that should cause full charge say 13-14 volts at idle. if you rev the engine the voltage should go way up 16 maybe. don't do this for long just blip to see if it goes up. If that kills the engine then I would disconnect the brown wire at both ends. use a jumper wire from the brown brush to the battery hot. connect the green to the regulator if it charges now there is a short in the brown wire in your harness somewhere. There is a short somewhere in your system I think it is directly in the charging system somewhere.

If you go to the tech section it will lead you to a troubleshooting guide by Curly. It will take you step by step through the trouble shooting of your alternator.
Leo

yes, I figured it out a few weeks ago! thanks for all the help guys! the brown wire was shorting on account of the stator windings going to ground. I took the stator/pickup assembly apart and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a huge gouge going through the coils!! how I missed that for so long, I will never know... I really do appreciate all your guys' feedback and input.
-ian

Back