The Centerstand Challenge - Lift Assist Handle

Good to get you back 2M I was getting worried. (insert smiley face)

5Twins.....I need a bit of help and figure this information would be helpful on this thread. I did a site search through your threads that mentioned centerstands (all 5 pages of them...another smiley face insert) I have a few different grease zerts but none are metric. Mostly the older type Brit or modern 1/4-28 ??? in straight and tapered threads. So...... I plan on sand blasting the replacement B model centerstand this weekend and going ahead and drilling and taping it for zerts. From what I gather the Yamaha zerts are 6mm??? Are they tapered or straight???? .I need to tool up so I might as well have what I need for the XS (because this bike isn't going anywhere and there's a good chance it will multiply in the future....you know F#%$ing bikes....yep another smiley face).

So......because I'm lazy and you're so good at this. 6mm ? Straight threads or tapered? Drill bit size?

Gordon in NC

Didn't I have a motorcycle camping thread I was working on??????

In tennis shoes, 2M?! There's your whole problem, and an easy fix: Git your boots on!
Seriously, though, the leg should be doing more than just applying the rider's weight. In the best situation, the grab handle would be positioned near a point above the contact point of the center stand lever, and the rider would use the hand mainly to brace while pushing the bike up with the leg. That's how a 125 lb. Honda salesman was able to pop 1st generation CB750's onto the stand, back in the day. Even when it's present, the handle on the XS650 is in a bad position, set too far to the rear. Sorry lifting from the saddle didn't work for you; I found it the easiest way on many bikes.

As far as I know, the fittings I use are straight, not tapered. I started out with an assortment kit from the auto parts store. You get mostly straights and a few 45's and 90's. I use mostly straights but do use a 45 on the swingarm. It makes getting a grease gun on it easier .....

SwingarmGreaseNipple.jpg

But, even though you will probably use very few of the angled fittings, they are not a total waste. They are made up of a normal straight fitting screwed into an angled base. Simply remove it and you get another straight fitting to use. When I started to run low on straights, I bought a 10 pack from McMaster-Carr. Now I see Harbor Freight sells an assortment, and in a nice little plastic tray to boot. I will be getting one of these soon .....

http://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-metric-grease-fittings-67569.html

This assortment contains larger sizes as well which may come in handy if I ever need to use one on a stubborn brake caliper to pump the stuck piston out with grease.

The usual drill size you'll find stamped on the side of an M6 tap is 13/64". Consulting a tap-drill size chart reveals the metric drill size recommended is 5mm and the inch size is a #8. I've used the 13/64" for many years with total success.

The pivot tube on the stand is a little thin and that sometimes allows the fitting to protrude through, rubbing on the pivot bolt (and blocking the grease hole). To avoid this, I place the fitting on the weld between the leg and pivot. I also build that spot up a little with a blob of weld first .....

PivotZerk.jpg

PivotZerk2.jpg

PivotZerk4.jpg

Last edited:
In tennis shoes, 2M?! There's your whole problem, and an easy fix: Git your boots on!

Oh, Griz, that'd be great. Haven't been able to wear boots for 15 years. Special ordered a couple pair several years ago, but it's not happening. Kinda gave up on that.

Been thinkin' on welding a small/flat pad atop the tiny centerstand ball, or design some kinda clamp-on pad for it, to avoid the permanent/irreversible mods on stock bike parts.

I simply acquire an extra of whatever part I'm wanting to modify, and do the "nasty" to it, lol. When I got my 650, the side stand was missing and the centerstand was poorly repaired (although I didn't realize that until it broke). I now have 3 or 4 of each. It's good to have extras of some things and I consider stands to be near the top of that list.

Oh, Griz, that'd be great. Haven't been able to wear boots for 15 years. Special ordered a couple pair several years ago, but it's not happening. Kinda gave up on that. - - -

Hi 2many,
how about work shoes? The kind that have steel sole-plates in 'em.

Jeez Gord,
it ain't hard to understand. He don't want to weld stuff onto his ball so he's gonna put a steel condom over it.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with 5twins......extras are nice and one of the things I LOVE about the XS650 is there are SO many good extra stock spares out there....keep on bobbin fellers. I picked up a local B model parts bike a month or so after I got this one.....never regreted it.

Try finding a good stock fender,seat, headlight shell, tail light or muffler for a 1965 BSA Enduro Star......if you do happen to find one, it's gona cost ya an arm and a leg.....and or your first born.

Gordon in NC

- - - Try finding a good stock fender,seat, headlight shell, tail light or muffler for a 1965 BSA Enduro Star......if you do happen to find one, it's gona cost ya an arm and a leg.....and or your first born.
Gordon in NC

Hi Gordon,
plus a kidney if the parts are in NOS perfect shape, eh?
But hey! All those BSA parts you mention can be replaced by generic parts from a catalog or analogs from a breakers yard Honda at a tenth of the cost.
Unless you have originality obsession disorder.

Haha, youze guyz are wound up today. Must be "Anything can happen Thursday".

Looking closely at 5twin's centerstand pics, I believe that the early model centerstand's tang ball is a bit smaller than later models. It's kinda like one of my Brown Bess musket balls, and really does a job on thin/soft tennis shoe soles. This is what I was thinking of adding (in red).

XS1B-Centerstand-UpDown02.jpg

After all that cancer battle long ago, I'm left with a long list of maladies, what the gov't calls 'post-therapeudic residuals. Modern medicine's more technical term: "Train wreck". One of them is lymphedema of the left leg and foot. It's a daily chore and challenge to do the special 'drainage' treatments, else the thing totally balloons in a couple days. If you want to get grossed-out, google 'lymphedema'. Mine's stage-2, and incurable. As such, because of high instep, I have to use special shoes, one pair of which folds-out like a box. You step in, and wrap it up/around your foot, like it was a UPS package.

Been able to do the centerstand dance fine, until recently with that right arm strain. Hopefully it recovers, but I still can't rotate my right arm enough to grasp the seat rail, hence the need for an alternative lifting handle. Sounds like this would be helpful for other folks as well...

Oh I see now.........................THAT ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

2M......damn man, that stuff you have to deal with sounds bad.....glad you're the kind of person who can deal with it. I'd be crying like a baby.
You just went up another notch on my hero ladder.

Seeing the light in NC and grateful for some what good health, there's ALWAYS somebody out there in worst shape........we'll get this lifting handle thing sorted and yes, we can't be the only two that are thinking about it......your friend in NC, Gordon

OK, if you have enough stands that you can bear to modify one, you could saw off the knob, weld on a threaded thing and screw in one of those all-metal bicycle pedal styled kickstarter pedals to spread the load on your foot.

As with most things, this one will probably have to be crafted and welded-up from scratch.

So, I'm wandering aimlessly thru the hardware stores, thinking about pivoting lift handles.
Could use solid rod, or hollow pipe. Slip a bicycle handgrip on it.

The mind wanders.

Then come across the hand-held gardening tools.
These have thick/solid shanks, with really nice grips.
$3 each.
Handles01.jpg

The pruning shears already come with a pivot hole.
Disassemble, and grind off one of the cutting jaws.
$5 each
Handles02.jpg

Maybe I could repurpose an old thick shanked knife. Cut down the blade, put a hole in it.
Or, how about a simple slot. I'd love to slip my Bowie knife in there.
Handles03.jpg

Rear tire wouldn't like that, though.

Now, I'm thinking "Why waste the space? Put an actual tool in there?"
How about a compact tire pump as a handle?
Handles04.jpg

Maybe the pump's tube is too thin to handle the load.

How about a stubby combination screwdriver?
Handles05.jpg
Handles06.jpg

One that carries bits in the handle.
Handles07.jpg

How about other combination tools.
Handles08.jpg

Whoops, *blink*, *blink*, back to reality.
No, that may be a bit too much.

Gotta stop chewing on cactus...

As with most things, this one will probably have to be crafted and welded-up from scratch.
- - - - How about other combination tools.
View attachment 87633

Hi 2Many,
Mr. Bodger sez quit overthinking the problem and clamp a visegrip on there.
OTOH, got a link to that Heavy Duty Steamfitter version of a Leatherman tool?
Mr Bodger would love one of those.

Well fellows, working 7 days a week doesn't leave a man much time for the IMPORTANT things in life......like his hobby, damnit.

BUT.....even though The Motorcycle Superstore let me down......good ole Dennis Kirk didn't and the clamp arived today. Going to get a chance to fit it tonight and follow up with some photos and a report.

Almost lifted in NC.......Gordon

Okay, I'm done for now as far as the handle goes.......didn't get to work on the center stand upgrade/swap this weekend....maybe next.

First off.......three piece clamp from Dennis Kirk and a cheapo folding peg from the Motorcycle Superstore.
liftvespa%20008.jpg

All I had to add was a flat washer.

Took all of 5 minutes to install. No interference with the side cover or the inner fender. Going to play around with the position (up/down) but for now it's a snap.
liftvespa%20012.jpg

Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Gordon in NC

Back