The Centerstand Challenge - Lift Assist Handle

Yes fits neat. How much closer to the center line of the stand? Is that more comfortable than further back? After you get the height set will change the angle of the handle dangle?

Okay, these are just "best guesses". It looks like it's 7" forward from the stock handle's location. That puts the handle approx 7" rearward of the center line of the center stand. The key for me is......it's now 3 1/2" lower than the stock handle.

I can move it up or down the frame tube and the handle will keep the same angle.

The stock handle was always a bit to high for me. But I had to remove it to make way for the hard bag mounts....so that's a moot point now. I have a rear luggage rack.....but it is to high and to rearward for me. With one hand on the bars by the time I reach behind me to get the luggage rack......I'm stretched out to far to get any lift.

I've tried the new handle a few times and I think for now......where I have it is good.

Gordon in NC

Way to go, Gordon! That looks great. I just ordered two of those clamps in 1-1/8".
Anxious to hear how yours works for you. Clamp strength, ergonomics, ...etc...

2M......I use the same type of clamp (in chrome) for the steering damper on my sidecar rig. I did see a bad review about em but I have a feeling that fellow got the wrong size....IMO they are pretty tough.

The folding peg on the other hand is pretty cheezy....but for now and for what's it for, it should be fine.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.......the pressure is on :) at least I set the ladder kinda low!!!!

No pun intended Mick ;)

Your friend in NC.......Gordon

Thread refresh. Got the 1-1/8" clamps, same as Gordon's. As usual, this has become a "mountain out of a molehill" project. Been making the parts, and a visitor wanted to be in the picture. Happens when I leave the barn door open...

ShopGuest.jpg

crikey talk about a sledge hammer to crack a nut !:lmao:

All you need 2M is a small 100mm square of plywood about 3/4" thick .
Place it on the ground behind the rear wheel and pull the bike backwards so that the rear wheel rises up onto the wood whilst simultaneously pushing the main stand down. Simples !;):D

very sorry to hear about you hurting yourself 2M .I'm doing it all the time these days. Thats the trouble with getting on in years. In our minds we can still remember these jobs being easy and straightforward. The problem is our bodies can't carry through our aspirations any more !

(
Ain't that the truth.
The mind is still going 100mph, the body sez "whoah there", we gotta get off our butt first...

Ain't that the truth............................

I still can't wait to see what you come up with. I can pretty much tell what all the bits are....but can't see how it all fits.

I'm happy to report that I have finally figured out how to use mine.......and it's working well. I still haven't replaced the centerstand but it's on the "must do" list......right after 100 other things in front of it. I'm on my 36th straight day at work........get to take a brake ( yea, that's an intended pun/misspell) the 23rd of this month and will ride 600+ miles up to North Western PA to do a 200 mile loop with some friends....and then back home. Man oh man I'm looking forward to it. After the first 100 miles, I'm in the zone and pretty much all my troubles are blown away.......I do love this hobby.

Take care.....your friend in NC, Gordon

My Honda ST1300 has a neat fold-out handle precisely for helping to get the big girl up on the centre stand. I'm pretty strong but I really doubt I could do it without that handle. The idea of putting a fold-out handle on the 650 is a good one - and I like the passenger footpeg on the shock mount idea!

Pete

Agree MaxPete, there was a bike, BMW I think, that was in the shop a few weeks ago with a handle, very tidy and you wouldn't have known it was there if you didn't look hard.....

I think the whole problem boils down to this - the stock centerstand is too long. As I mentioned earlier, My 650 is the easiest bike I've ever had to put on the centerstand. The longer than stock rear shocks help with this obviously. On the stand, I barely have an inch of space under the rear tire. 2M said his is near 1 1/2". A stock Special I worked on recently was very hard to put up on the stand. When I checked the space under it's rear tire, I could see why. It was a good 2". So, shortening the stand an inch or so should fix the problem, no extra lift handles required. I have an old beat up extra stand I may experiment with.

I've got a rolling "test bed" chassis almost assembled. With this I can experiment with all sorts of side and centerstand mods. I may also take a crack at bracing a swingarm. It's main purpose though is so I can put the finishing touches on my one man engine removal/install cart. Wait 'til you guys see this thing, lol.

The centerstand thing was never a problem for me, 'till my right arm went blooey. Still can't rotate it enuff to do the dance. I guess we're falling apart. In a few years we may be discussing hoists, to get the rider onto the bike.

... one man engine removal/install cart. Wait 'til you guys see this thing, lol.

Now, THAT oughta be a good one. I always thought that a collection of "One Man (insert impossible task here)" tools and methods would make a good book...

Yep and my centerstand became a real problem after I mounted the hard bags. Don't regret putting the bags on one bit and can't imagine any reason to ever take them off......so I had to come up with a solution that works for me. Never in a million years would I try to talk somebody else into doing the same thing I did.....I just don't roll that way (pun intended)

My cobbled up centerstand is probably too tall......my shocks too short....but for now......for me....I go it covered.

Gordon

Well, I've got mine done. Many thanx to Gordon for the hot tip on the heavy-duty sidecar clamp. It fits perfectly, leaving about 1/16" clearance to the rear of the sidecover.
LiftHandle01.jpg

The best height for me is all the way up the frame tube.
The handle includes a ball-detent to keep it swung out.
LiftHandle02.jpg

But, wait! There's more!
The handle unscrews from its mount base.
LiftHandle03.jpg

And now, the handle is a magnetic hexbit screwdriver and breaker bar, with storage for all them bits...
LiftHandle04.jpg

IMG_0088.JPG
That is a really nice installation - well done!

My 2007 Honda ST1300 has a very similar set-up (and with the weight of that thing - it is needed).

Pete

Nice work guys. I must say my 83 Heritage is the most difficult bike to put on the centerstand of any I have owned. I have a 1200 Bandit as well and it fairly leaps onto it's stand by comparison. Even my GS1100 and lardy 650 Turbo were easier to get onto their stands.

excellent 2m ...but can it also make a decent cafe latte ?:)

Very nice, using the handle to store tools brilliant!
I hope your Bonaparte persona is not permanent get well soon.

Thanx, WER. That reminds me to wipe off my hands first...

View attachment 88994 That is a really nice installation - well done!

My 2007 Honda ST1300 has a very similar set-up (and with the weight of that thing - it is needed).

Thanx, MaxPete. Your ST1300 handle fits into a recess?

Nice work guys. I must say my 83 Heritage is the most difficult bike to put on the centerstand of any I have owned...

Thanx, MacMcMacMac. Similar plans for your 83 Heritage?

excellent 2m ...but can it also make a decent cafe latte ?:)

Thanx, peanut. Now THERE's an idea. Maybe a spiral modified front oil tube, wraps around your latte thermos, vibration does the work...

Very nice, using the handle to store tools brilliant!
I hope your Bonaparte persona is not permanent get well soon.

Thanx, Signal. Yeah, this is one of those "kill two birds with one stone" contraptions.

That avatar should soon be changing.
Wierd bursitis thing worked its way up to my shoulder, but getting better...

Back