1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

The ergonomic experiment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Raymondo

Raymondo XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Bob, been catching up on your recent posts on this thread - just love the cleanliness and meticulous attention to detail. Your approach surely an inspiration but I know I will never achieve such a level of work.

thuban, TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate it. :cool:

thuban, Greyandridin, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  3. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Iowa City
    Wow, just read this entire thread after clicking on the link you provided in the “what did you do today” thread. I am flattered that you were inspired by my “super clean” bike! I am also SUPER envious of your immaculate bike! Holy crap is that thing clean! After reading the entire thread, I actually learned a bit and a few things I want to point out-
    1. Your initial idea to go with a crash bar and foot pegs like mine would probably get you the comfortable leg position you want- I am 5’9”, and the footpegs are in the perfect position for me to stretch my legs out. I even use them in town. If you’re still going for max comfort, I strongly recommend going this route.
    2. After having the TC bros “Lanesplitters” that some folks didn't like, and then the buckhorns, and now lower EMGO “Superbike” bars, I do have to agree that the lower bars seem to take strain off the low back. I’m only 36, but I’ve had back problems for going on about 7 years now, and though the buckhorns were comfortable for my upper body, I do think it strained my lower back.
    3. I installed that same x-ring chain last fall when I rebuilt My rear wheel, and it was very sticky as well.
    4. I’ve been using Bel-ray chain wax in a small spray can with a little straw. Silver and blue can. It doesn't sling off and is nice and tacky. It goes on white so you can see where you sprayed it.
    5. I also replaced my rear sprocket with a 32 tooth, but I have seen my top speed decrease. After reading your thread, I am more inclined to wonder if it isn't the sprocket but the extra 15-20 lbs I’ve put on since buying the bike!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. Mailman

Hey TZ! Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate it. I have to say I’m starting to get used to the highway pegs, I’ve had the bike out for a long ride since that article was written and it’s getting easier to use.
    How are you feeling buddy? You doing ok?

GLJ, arcticXS, TwoManyXS1Bs and 2 others like this.
  5. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Iowa City
    I forgot to mention that I really like the look of the highway pegs! I’m honestly feeling a lot better today; been loaded up on 4 hr doses of 1000 mg tylenol and antibiotics. My sister and a friend cautioned me that a lot of people are reporting feeling better and then getting worse, the symptoms can wax and wane, so I’m not gettin cocky just yet. Thanks for asking.

Team Junk, GLJ, thuban and 2 others like this.
  6. Mailman

Yeah, don’t get too carried away working on your bike just yet. Rest until you see how this thing goes. It’s no joke. Take care of yourself. ;)

GLJ, Raymondo, arcticXS and 2 others like this.
  7. Champion makes spark plugs! LOL. The best I've found is Honda chain lube. At least that's what I prefer, and I don't have a chain guard! It dries in about 30 minutes.
    The bike looks great! Ya know somethin? I never checked the clearance with my new O-ring chain.

Jim, GLJ and Mailman like this.
  8. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

After reading this a second time, you have convinced me to order a 31T sprocket.

Jim likes this.
  9. Mailman

Ha! It’s a personal choice for sure. It’s a little less snappy coming off of a dead stop, but once rolling , I think it actually gathers speed faster and the shift points are extended, but for me the biggest gain is reduced RPM at highway speeds and a smoother feeling motor at speed. I know I’m happy with it.

timbeck and Jim like this.
  10. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

My friend has a 75 and I think he has the 31T sprocket because just based on how different first gear is between his and mine. His bike has such a longer first gear where as mine begs me to shift to second as soon as I take off. I'm an easy going, low rpm guy so I think I'll enjoy this minor mod.

Jim, timbeck and Mailman like this.