1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

The ergonomic experiment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Feb 21, 2020.

1. willis

willis xsive compulsive disorder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I bought a set of Halcyon bar end mirrors. After lots of research the general consensus was that Halcyon and Napoleon were some of the better ones out there that were good with vibrations. No road experience with them yet and not sure I will run them. My no10 tracker bars are already in the neighborhood of 33” wide so these really stuck out there. Also not sure they fit the style of the bike. The flip side is they rotate 360 degrees and fold in nice when storing the bike.

Jim, Mailman and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  2. willis

Also, I looked through your thread but may have overlooked what bars are you going back to? Are you considering different bars?

Jim likes this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I went back to my factory original bars, but I have been considering something with a little less rise, like a Euro bend or super bike style.
    They both have about the same rise ( about half what stockers are) but the super bike bars are about an inch narrower.

Raymondo, MaxPete and Jim like this.
  4. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Totally agree about the stability angle...........On my 83 i have the original buck-horns and the bike had highway pegs on it when got it................only time i used the highway pegs was when i had all my gear loaded up on the rear seat that made an armchair affect so that i could rest on my back and have my feet on the highway pegs, only on long straights and if they included long sweeping corners.........The other worry was.......the time it took to get back into position to use the brake and gear lever if an emergency popped up.............tried to explain this to someone else wanting to get highway pegs.......wasn't going to happen:confused:..........wasn't you Bob

5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I've found that I don't much care for the highway pegs on my bike either... pretty much the same reasons. The lone advantage is that periodically I can stretch out my aftermarket knee. So for that reason alone, they'll stay.

tzimmerm, Raymondo, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  6. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Found the other thing was, when getting the feet up and off the pegs, was my hands had to take the weigh shift, also making the grip and control quite dangerous........not for me:sneaky: but for all you noviceso_O

Yea for stretching purposes i think they are great also, one leg at a time on occasion

tzimmerm, Mailman, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  7. willis

If you have any interest, I have a set of cb750 replica bars that you can try. I only used them for mock up before switching to the tracker bend bars. I think they are 4.5” rise and 31.5” wide. They are also pre drilled from factory for internal wiring if you want to go that route. If so, pm me and I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse.
    F2AF5C13-5CD3-49B2-A8DC-2005E2C57297.jpeg

MaxPete, Jim and Mailman like this.
  8. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Thank you for that kind offer, but those are just about identical to the stock bars I have on now. These are the super bike bars and dimensions.
    B92E4185-D2A9-4CFB-BAB0-AB0A9AFC303E.jpeg
    Width - 29in..
    Rise - 2-1/2in..
    Pullback - 4-3/4in..
    Center width - 4-3/4in.

9. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

for years I used Superbike bars and loved them. I switched to a taller style of same style a couple years ago. They are OK but, I'm thinking of going back to the lower bars. Sometimes one just needs a change. No other reason but just for a change.

tzimmerm, GLJ, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  10. Raymondo

Raymondo XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Replying a little later than folk in US time zones but I wanted to say a big thank you for your very honest assessment of the changes you made.

I really wondered how you would get on with high bars and highway pegs. That set-up is not traditionally favoured in Britain though these days I see people on H-D and Japaneses cruisers with pull-back bars and highway pegs. Can look like the triumph of style over function - sooo cool but how far do you actually ride? However, there has always been the suggestion that works well in the US with longer distances, less traffic, fewer bends, villages, roundabouts, etc?

But you have confirmed my suspicion that taller, pulled-back bars are a pain in the lower back. For some people anyway. Interesting too your observations on the forward pegs.

tzimmerm, Jim, Mailman and 2 others like this.