1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

The ergonomic experiment

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Feb 21, 2020.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

It's not the height but it does help. I think it helps keep your butt from sweating so much. I used one while traveling. I tried several different pads (air, gel, combo of both) but none helped that much. So I tried the old piece of sheepskin that came with one of the bikes and found it just as good as those other things.

What I always wanted to try but never did was one of those bead "cushions". They look uncomfortable but apparently really help.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Paul Sutton and MaxPete like this.
  2. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

Thanks Fredintoon and 5Twins, I am going to try it out, not sure when, but will. I think I recently saw a gggGary bike with a sheep skin?

3. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Speaking of Italian military - do you know why their Navy has glass-bottom boats?
    So they can see the REST of the Italian Navy...

4. Paul Sutton

Is it true that in WWII each French solder were issued with a Swiss style pocket knife containing two tools, a cork screw and a white flag?

Greyandridin and Jim like this.
  5. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Do we have members in France and/or Italy? :rolleyes:

Jim, Paul Sutton and Greyandridin like this.
  6. Paul Sutton

Note the wording I used above, I am simply seeking to clarify a story I heard once...:hump: Now I am the coward!

7. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Paul,
    nah, Swiss Army Knife has a saw blade & a pair of scissors.
    What I DID see on TY was that the Israeli military rifle has a tool that opens beer cans.
    We had an Italian POW camp at the end of our street during WW2.
    The gate was always open and the POWs would come and go as they pleased.
    Lotsa dark-eyed kids in town by VE Day.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Jim, TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  8. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    In the closing days of WW2, the retreating German forces would often stretch a single strand of field telephone wire across a lane. They decapitated some motorcycle riders and Jeep drivers. It wasn't long before the fitment of a 5ft or so long piece of scaffold pole was fitted vertically to the front bumpers of Jeeps to protect the drivers. The motorcyclists just had to keep their fingers crossed.

<edit>
    I just went to that thread on ADV and found the link to the Brazil kite flyers... It's on Wayback, but it's gory as hell, so I'm not putting the link here. Anyone curious enough can find it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  9. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Paul Sutton, MaxPete, Jim and 2 others like this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Very nice 2M! I enjoyed reading about your mods and electronics too. Speaking of aftermarket seats, I know cruiser bikes typically have the butt bucket going on which is quite comfortable, but aftermarket seat companies like Corbin and Seargent who make seats for standards and sport touring bikes, often make the seated area broader and flatter with relatively firm foam. This seams counter intuitive at first, but they are surprisingly comfortable and more supportive.

11. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

"Broader" is right, Bob.

I remember shopping these late-model cruisers, glancing at the huge seats, and asking myself "Have we all grown big butts?"...

Paul Sutton, Mailman and Jim like this.
  12. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    Exactly so. First time I was in a motorcycle showroom for ages, I was suddenly struck by the largeness of the seats.
    What a bunch of fat-arsed bstads, I thought.

Paul Sutton, TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  13. Paul Sutton

Ergonomics and a better riding experience: A month or so ago I bought a Shuberth helmet and Auritech ear plugs They have been excellent and I have enjoyed riding with them. This evening after sunset I decided to go for a ride to see what the headlight is like on the Virago - any excuse for a ride. I wore the Auritech ear plugs and my old open face helmet with visor...

...What a difference! Compared to the Schuberth I cannot see how I ever coped with the old helmet. It will be going in a cardboard box to be filed away in a deep dark cornor i.e. Set 1 to being dumped.

TwoManyXS1Bs and Mailman like this.