The ergonomic experiment

Snooze ya loose... :rolleyes:
Fwiw, I'm running a 31T rear and I really like it. Don't remember the exact revs... but at 65 I'm well below the point where that butt numbing buzz sets in. Yeah, she may have lost a step off the line, but my light to light days are well behind me. ;) Acceleration is still quiet respectable. And the way she reaches 85 tells me a ton will be easy enough. I'm about 150-160 soppin' wet, so the bike is far from overworked, and the 31T is perfect for my needs.

I snagged those highway pegs Bob mentioned above 'cause my rebuilt knee will only take about 15 min. on the regular peg. So I'm experimentin' here too. Be interestin' to compare notes.

And like Bob (and most of us here I suspect) I've some serious arthritis issues in the lower and upper back/shoulders. I think a back support would really help in that dept. Yeah... I'm buildin' an easy chair on wheels. :rolleyes:

View attachment 160344

It will be interesting to compare! You’ve got the nice butt bucket seat too! I’m glad you picked up those pegs. I missed seeing them before I got mine.

Snooze ya loose... :rolleyes:
Fwiw, I'm running a 31T rear and I really like it.
Sprocket gearing has been something I've been scratching my head over as well lately. And in the end running a 130/90-16 , I've installed the 32T rear.
Now you guys consider that Bob is running a 120/90-18 rear tire on the 77. Larger diameter than any 16" I would bet a 32T rear would do it ? IDK yet..

The Mailman delivered!
Not me....my mailman delivered something I’ve been waiting for and I caught a lucky break. The thickness of the highway peg mounting plates and the need for spacers between the plates and the frame ( more on that in a moment) meant that my stock motor mount bolts wouldn’t work. The longest 3/8” bolts I could find on eBay were 10”. They came in a two pack for $10. I thought I could maybe use one of them, but I was sure that for the other I would need something longer, so I went out this morning and bought some 3/8 all thread.
F7D18F8A-C2AE-4684-94FB-4E4CCD48B853.jpeg

Well, this called for a trial fit and I couldn’t be happier, I will be able to use both of them, no all thread. They are just long enough.
Here you can see I’m using a stack of three washers as a spacer under the top mounts to account for the angled frame tubes.
C44740C4-D4C0-4A29-A87B-140B9752DBF9.jpeg
CAFCE992-D4AC-44EE-9CD6-D298608B5E48.jpeg
1C5009BB-8BF8-44BF-8059-37CD0234AA9F.jpeg
8D197723-1844-49AA-9CD6-F582BD68FC8F.jpeg
E3712597-16EA-4D3A-9DD3-1258019F8C83.jpeg

Now for a little seat of the pants test.
6C7D17AB-8B6E-4053-AF45-078E04BBBE13.jpeg

I’ve gotta say, so far, just riding in my garage I’m liking it. When I put my feet back on the control pegs, it really doesn’t feel all that much different from the standard position, I’m just sitting a little more upright. My hands are pretty much at the same angles as on my stock bars. My neck and shoulders feel more relaxed and with my feet forward, my legs feel much more relaxed. The peg mounting plates could be flipped upside down and it would drop the pegs down about an inch and a half, but I want to make sure I don’t compromise cornering clearance.

The peg mounting plates could be flipped upside down and it would drop the pegs down about an inch and a half, but I want to make sure I don’t compromise cornering clearance.
The pegs fold up don't they.
Besides if you get her over that far you are going down. The back tire is going to loose traction when it hits the brown stuff falling out your pant legs.:bike:

I hope you don't need to keep changing your clothes each time you want to change foot position like in your garage test run??

If you need to lengthen the handlebar switch wires then you could consider just making up some short extention cables 3 - 4" with a plug at each end. If you do not like the new bars it is easy to switch to something else, or go back to the originals.

Best of luck and make sure the foot pegs only fold upwards.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this thread and thought oh shit I have some of this stuff out there somewhere

The highway pegs came via Plowboy for a damn good price
IMG_20200222_162605793.jpg

And the chrome motor mount via DanielBlack for Free (Thanks again)

IMG_20200222_162616926.jpg

I know the 75 motor mount wasn't originally chrome but for an old fool I thought WTH a little extra bling

I've been looking at this thread and thought oh shit I have some of this stuff out there somewhere

View attachment 160361

View attachment 160362
I know the 75 motor mount wasn't originally chrome but for an old fool I thought WTH a little extra bling
The motor mount is much better than the photo show Just needs shining

View attachment 160361

View attachment 160362

I came across you buying those, when I was looking for info on highway pegs. Good score!

I came across you buying those, when I was looking for info on highway pegs. Good score!
I liked the embossed Yamaha on them
Question did you buy stock exhaust and muffler gaskets or make your own using generic graphite material
Some of what I looked at seem to be just cut off a roll of graphite material
And NOS were like $30
And Mike's are like $6 but his shipping is nuts
Edit the exhaust gaskets don't look like anything generic would work and amazon has them for
$6.50 per

Last edited:
I liked the embossed Yamaha on them
Question did you buy stock exhaust and muffler gaskets or make your own using generic graphite material
Some of what I looked at seem to be just cut off a roll of graphite material
And NOS were like $30
And Mike's are like $6 but his shipping is nuts

Every part of the exhaust is the same as it left the factory. Nothing has been added or changed. Although I have a new set of header pipe gaskets I might throw in. Mine are looking pretty squashed.

Yeah that looks like some nice hardware! I also looked at Bolt Depot online, you could buy bolts just about any size you want for very reasonable prices, and then you see the shipping costs! :yikes:

Every part of the exhaust is the same as it left the factory. Nothing has been added or changed. Although I have a new set of header pipe gaskets I might throw in. Mine are looking pretty squashed.
Mine too and I have a small exhaust leak (telltale black stain )

then you see the shipping costs!
AlbanyCounty isn't all that bad on shipping. Have ordered twice from them for X-75 stuff. First time was over $100 so shipping was free. Second time was under, shipping was $8.99.
If you were only need 1 or 2 things E-Bay or Amazon is OK. It's not hard to put together a decent order where even if you have to pay shipping it works out better than buying from Amazon or E-Bay. I've been building a stainless bolt assortment for myself. I can get stainless locally but they charge a premium for their stuff.

Just out of curiosity thought I would see what Caterpillar has in long 3/8-16 bolts.
First off this would be unplated bolts but they are equal to Grade 8 or Grade 10.9 so if strength is more important than pretty they might be an option!

Part numbers first followed by length under head the price each (at least the price I am being quoted online)
4H3283- 9 1/2- $3.06
7L7524- 10 1/4- $2.78
334-8167- 10 3/4- $3.77
5P1415- 11- $4.02

Back