The ergonomic experiment

I promised myself I wouldn’t do this, I was just going to get in and get out, no distractions.
E1A2AD7D-3F9A-48B4-A9D4-741749F5EC3E.gif

Today I was just going to pull my rear wheel off to change sprockets. Next thing you know,
I pulled the pegs, shifter and sidecover off, “ boy it sure looks dirty under there, I’m gonna have to give that a good cleaning.”
62F3F5C3-335A-43E0-93D0-B46F0DDFD8F4.jpeg

Then I thought, “It would probably be a lot easier to pull the rear wheel and I’d have more room to work if the exhaust came off.” Boy there’s dirt and grease everywhere!
EFAC1552-5A3C-499C-8AF6-F96860EDD65A.jpeg
DF6BC594-B57C-4485-B53E-A4EABE70974C.jpeg
AF03AAA7-D9B8-4BCD-AA83-1F8CF2836B2E.jpeg

Then I’m standing there looking at my bike and thinking. “ You know, I never have changed the swingarm bushings on this bike, and now that everything is off, hmmmm....let me just give the swingarm a little wiggle....damn! There’s some play there.” So....
108679AC-EB89-481B-B69C-BA1FFEA5C076.jpeg
2A619A59-A8F5-4F29-879A-B11AC5F86523.jpeg
2F037C5C-F605-4D04-A49E-8868E26EDB71.jpeg

I was able to slide everything out using just my fingers, including the factory nylon bushings. I have kept this all well greased and between my riding and the Arizona heat, the grease had worked into every where possible.
I’m probably going to spend the next couple of days cleaning things up and seeing exactly what I need before I just do what I usually do and that is just order everything ( needed or not ) !
I need an intervention, it’s hard for me to not get carried away and start painting and polishing everything in sight!
I really just want to get this bike back together and enjoy some of this beautiful weather!
Till next time....
Bob

Attachments

• 523E153A-F126-44A6-93C0-9ADFEC0AB480.jpeg
    523E153A-F126-44A6-93C0-9ADFEC0AB480.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 189
Is the tape on the floor the assigned spot on the floor for your centerstand, if so you missed.
I really just want to get this bike back together and enjoy some of this beautiful weather!
Last I knew you had an old beater that is runable. :rolleyes: Take it out and ride it.

Is the tape on the floor the assigned spot on the floor for your centerstand, if so you missed.

Last I knew you had an old beater that is runable. :rolleyes: Take it out and ride it.

Yes! The tape locates my centerstand, when my bike is backed in. I turned my bike around so I could work on the rear end. Two cars and two motorcycles in a small two car garage , it’s a game of inches! :laugh2:

I know , you’re right, my “ old beater “ has been calling me lately, I need to answer! :)

Fwiw, I'm running a 31T rear and I really like it. Don't remember the exact revs... but at 65 I'm well below the point where that butt numbing buzz sets in. Yeah, she may have lost a step off the line, but my light to light days are well behind me. ;) Acceleration is still quiet respectable. And the way she reaches 85 tells me a ton will be easy enough. I'm about 150-160 soppin' wet, so the bike is far from overworked, and the 31T is perfect for my needs.

Couldn't agree more. I have a 31T rear sprocket AND Mikes 5th gear overdrive (yeah, it was a gamble going with MikesXS gear, but it works great). It's the perfect combination for cruising and keeping RPM's lowered. I do, however, have this on my bobber where I shed a bunch of weight off the frame, and I do have oversized pistons so a bit more power but nothing like a big bore 750 kit. I do occasionally find myself downshifting when going up a steep hill when below 60mph. Reduced revs at highway speed is a real treat, and get good mpg.

Couldn't agree more. I have a 31T rear sprocket AND Mikes 5th gear overdrive (yeah, it was a gamble going with MikesXS gear, but it works great). It's the perfect combination for cruising and keeping RPM's lowered. I do, however, have this on my bobber where I shed a bunch of weight off the frame, and I do have oversized pistons so a bit more power but nothing like a big bore 750 kit. I do occasionally find myself downshifting when going up a steep hill when below 60mph. Reduced revs at highway speed is a real treat, and get good mpg.

That’s good to hear another positive review!

I promised myself I wouldn’t do this, I was just going to get in and get out, no distractions.
View attachment 160622

Today I was just going to pull my rear wheel off to change sprockets. Next thing you know,
I pulled the pegs, shifter and sidecover off, “ boy it sure looks dirty under there, I’m gonna have to give that a good cleaning.”
View attachment 160623

Then I thought, “It would probably be a lot easier to pull the rear wheel and I’d have more room to work if the exhaust came off.” Boy there’s dirt and grease everywhere!
View attachment 160624 View attachment 160625 View attachment 160626

Then I’m standing there looking at my bike and thinking. “ You know, I never have changed the swingarm bushings on this bike, and now that everything is off, hmmmm....let me just give the swingarm a little wiggle....damn! There’s some play there.” So....
View attachment 160627 View attachment 160628 View attachment 160629
I was able to slide everything out using just my fingers, including the factory nylon bushings. I have kept this all well greased and between my riding and the Arizona heat, the grease had worked into every where possible.
I’m probably going to spend the next couple of days cleaning things up and seeing exactly what I need before I just do what I usually do and that is just order everything ( needed or not ) !
I need an intervention, it’s hard for me to not get carried away and start painting and polishing everything in sight!
Till next time....
Bob

Hi Bob,
your swingarm pivot parts photos tell me that your bike's swingarm ain't been working right.
If the stock M14-ended pivot bolt is tightened enough to lock the bearing sleeve solid in the frame as the design requires it's end will snap off.
(mine did. Twice. The first one fell out onto the street at highway speed. I noticed the second one half way out.)
Replace with a Suzuki GS750 pivot bolt or an M16-ended one from MikesXS

Hi Bob,
your swingarm pivot parts photos tell me that your bike's swingarm ain't been working right.
If the stock M14-ended pivot bolt is tightened enough to lock the bearing sleeve solid in the frame as the design requires it's end will snap off.
(mine did. Twice. The first one fell out onto the street at highway speed. I noticed the second one half way out.)
Replace with a Suzuki GS750 pivot bolt or an M16-ended one from MikesXS

Hello Fred,
I spent the day cleaning parts and stinking up my garage with kerosene fumes. I was feeling torn about replacing any of these components at all! They all came out in such remarkable shape, given their age and the mileage on the bike. The bushings look practically new and the pivot tube has some minor wear, but honestly I think I could throw the whole thing back together and most people would never feel the difference in handling.
BC5B2833-1FF3-414B-AF0E-3E58444B1B80.jpeg
1FB4D12C-1335-42DE-9C5A-574344339F5E.jpeg
505F8A3B-537D-4BD5-949C-6E81D3B90DDF.jpeg

CFD4EE13-F2CA-40A3-A4FD-98F7E14355F3.jpeg

Having said all that, I’m going to replace everything. I had a little talk with myself today. You know, I’ve been wanting a project to do and this is a job that has needed doing. I actually bought all the parts to do this once and I wound up installing them in my XS2!
I don’t know why I get into this mindset that I need to finish this job in a hurry, like I’m getting paid by the hour. I’m going to take Greg’s advice, I do have another bike to ride, so I decided I’m going to slow down and relax and enjoy the process and do the kind of detail oriented work that I enjoy doing and to hell with time tables. I’ll paint what needs to be painted, clean and shine everything up and maybe even polish my dipstick while I’m at it. :D
So there! It’ll be done when it’s done.
Later, Bob

So there! It’ll be done when it’s done.
Exactly! You're no longer on the clock, you're retired! So, unless you're getting paid, it's a hobby! There's the speed of sound, the speed of light, and the speed of hobby. You can make all the plans you want, but if you get up in the morning and you don't feel like it, or you'd rather go chase the little white ball, then so be it! You are the boss (okay, maybe SWMBO is...) :laugh:

Back