The ergonomic experiment

A Modest Proposal (apologies to J Swift)
Bob, you clearly need a new project. It is time to find a Special ( you don't have to reinvent it). The specials were Yamaha's answer to the cruisers that were popping up like mushrooms. Start your recliner experiment with the buckhorns and bones of an 80s Special. Go from there. I will definitely follow the thread!!!!!

Thanks! Never say never, but for the time being I’m going to see this through, I’ve already bought most of the parts. This is mostly just an exercise for me, a little fun. For now, I’m happy with the two I already have.

Pssst..... hey Bob, have a gander at these.... :sneaky: :rolleyes:

allens.jpg

Back to business!

In-laws are gone, brother in law is back in Cleveland where he belongs. I’ve caught up on my honey do’s.
Today I was back in the shop having fun!

First order of business, and the thing that wound up taking most of my time, cleaning up all the parts to be painted. To begin with I chipped off about a pound of welding splatter, then smoothed up the welds with a soft wheel grinder. I had degreased everything the other day, so today was scrubbing everything in hot soapy water, then wet sanding it all. The swing arm, chain guard and brake stay are now ready to paint.
E3845CFD-8160-4848-8DAE-33E748EA081A.jpeg

It was getting too late to spray paint, so moved on to the next item. My new front brake line arrived a couple days ago, a new stainless braid line at 110cm long. It was a little on the long side, but I got it routed to my liking. It still needs to be bled, but at least now I have my master cylinder mounted again. I also need to lengthen my brake switch wire. ( Pay no attention to the spring wire around the hose, I will be removing that.)
75959A2A-A6DD-43D5-A393-AFD8A2284225.jpeg
9ACD0D55-7F41-4D20-AC51-2A9143F855AF.jpeg
B063A927-2312-4ACD-8681-DC570D500427.jpeg

Yesterday I finally got around to ordering new bronze bushings and dust/ grease seals for the swing-arm. While I was rummaging around in my parts looking for a spare swing arm shim that I knew I had, I was surprised to find a new swing arm bolt. I forgot I did not use it on my XS2.
D7550642-4F0E-48AA-A6F4-5EA7E45CFE9F.jpeg

Well I’ve got enough stuff to keep me busy until parts arrive. I might take a break and go riding tomorrow if the weather is nice.
3A211BFC-29AF-4009-B44C-1FBEA77A10B7.jpeg

Later!
Bob

Well I’ve got enough stuff to keep me busy until parts arrive. I might take a break and go riding tomorrow if the weather is nice.

Later!
Bob

Sure rub it in to all us stuck up here covered with that white stuff, some white stuff is snow and some is dried salt on the cars!

Around here if we want to do tequila shots and we don't have the salt handy we can use the fender of our car!

Sure rub it in to all us stuck up here covered with that white stuff, some white stuff is snow and some is dried salt on the cars!

Around here if we want to do tequila shots and we don't have the salt handy we can use the fender of our car!

Sorry Ken, ( and all of the rest of you who are having a hard winter ) I’ll try and keep the grinning to a minimum! :D

Yeah, Bob, your seating side-profile looks comfortable.
Last year I was jacking around with ergos, did some pics.
For your collection:

70-71-XS1-XS1B-SideView.jpg Screenshot_20181204-193713_Google.jpg Screenshot_20181206-154053_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181206-154053_Chrome(1).jpg XS1B-Dragon-SideView.jpg

For your exhaust/footpeg interference, could look into a set of tuck-under TT pipes.
A member on here did something wild by swapping left/right pipes, swinging them underneath...

I noticed similar wear on mine, Mailman. Since I installed the bronze bushings, now everytime I grease it, I rotate the pivot arm a quarter turn. Someone had the idea to add a grease fitting in the middle, great idea by the way, Golden Boy did it to his swingarm. I will add one next time it comes off.

I’ve been thinking about just sectioning out part of the foam in the front half and adding in a piece of 1” memory foam.
I went to a local mattress company today and asked if he had a 2' X 2' piece of memory foam for sale. He immediately went to his scraps and up pulled a piece of 8' X 2' one. I asked what he wanted...nada :thumbsup:, so I have a piece of memory foam approx. 4' X 2' if someone wants it for shipping cost.

I went to a local mattress company today and asked if he had a 2' X 2' piece of memory foam for sale. He immediately went to his scraps and up pulled a piece of 8' X 2' one. I asked what he wanted...nada :thumbsup:, so I have a piece of memory foam approx. 4' X 2' if someone wants it for shipping cost.

Well that’s pretty interesting . Is that foam 1” thick? Since you plan to go ahead with this, here is another link that details a technique that I thought looked pretty good.

http://www.motorcycledave.com/custo...motorcycle-daves-conformax-gel-foam-seat-kit/

Thanks for the link Bob. Yes it's 1" thick. I'll attach a pic in the am. EDIT: added pic

Attachments

• memorie 2.jpg
    memorie 2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
You should add a better way to lube your new bushings. They are designed to take in grease from the rear, not the side like the original plastic ones. A new grease fitting added to the bottom center of the swingarm is the usual routine, but at the very least, add a couple holes to the center of the pivot tube. Pump enough grease in through the original grease fittings and it will eventually fill the center of the arm and get to the backs of your new bushings .....

98P4ox6.jpg

P2yYtLH.jpg

5k4Kph4.jpg

Back