The great 2M BBQ hunt

I bought this the other day at Family Dollar expecting it to gag me, but believe it or not it's some of the best I've ever had, and I've done the exotic BBQ rounds with Dogbunny. Beware that most stuff like this will gag you though. This one is special. I urge you to review it and report back.

6b7f9712a938a25d55770a281ed64762.jpg

BBQ places seem to me to lack consistency. I went with DB to a place, I won't mention the name but it's named after a certain "live" tree... Thought it was outstanding. Took my neighbor there a couple of weeks later and it was maybe a 3 out of 10. And the price doesn't change :D

Ha! Nice, you are running away with this. You live in what Maverick refererred to as a “ target rich environment” ! Lots of bbq near you!

I recently went to Dickies bbq and had a smoked sausage sandwich that was so good.
And the other day at the grocery store I found, just by accident, they carried Dickies smoked sausage! I bought some and had a sausage sandwich just tonight! Good stuff!
Keep it up Steve!

Ok, so I thought I’d share a little taste of my Indiana bbq. No riding anywhere, just smoking It all in my driveway. I’m pretty amateur but been smoking stuff for about 4 years (on the grill that is :smoke:). Mostly just small stuff like ribs, chicken wings, my almost famous bacon wrapped jalapeños and occasionally some pulled pork. I make my own rub and bbq sauces too. Earlier this week I made a batch of jalapeños for my wife’s carry in at work. These are my favorite to cook!
ECDC5DB2-095A-4CDB-8991-0FDC42121B54.jpeg
Then last night I smoked a 10lb pork shoulder. Gotta have patience with these. Almost 16hrs to cook, but well worth the wait. To be honest, this is only the 4th one I’ve ever cooked. Getting the smoke rolling.
EDE09D72-4D4E-48FF-A82A-DBEBA1C94CD8.jpeg
Had some troubles at first due to some heavy rains. No smoke stack, just an open vent on top. Had to go McGuyver to keep the rain out. That’s my beer can chicken stand with a little gardening pail upside down to keep the rain out while still letting it vent.
889AE27B-D0E8-42F9-B55C-EE3555B025D1.jpeg
12hrs in.... looking good but still not up to temp yet. It was stalled at 190 degrees for a while. Oh ya, that little foil tent on top was another attempt to keep rainwater off my pork. Worked out pretty well.
30D89671-7B1F-4B41-86FB-76115C67F933.jpeg
Here it is fresh off. Looks burnt, but thats the way you want it for that oh so tasty bark
40979F11-D361-431A-BF3A-7792511C23D3.jpeg
And the finished results!!!!
39F4AE59-272D-430A-8A31-DC527D875629.jpeg

:rock:
:cheers:
:bed:

Ok, so I thought I’d share a little taste of my Indiana bbq. No riding anywhere, just smoking It all in my driveway. I’m pretty amateur but been smoking stuff for about 4 years (on the grill that is :smoke:). Mostly just small stuff like ribs, chicken wings, my almost famous bacon wrapped jalapeños and occasionally some pulled pork. I make my own rub and bbq sauces too. Earlier this week I made a batch of jalapeños for my wife’s carry in at work. These are my favorite to cook!
View attachment 139403
Then last night I smoked a 10lb pork shoulder. Gotta have patience with these. Almost 16hrs to cook, but well worth the wait. To be honest, this is only the 4th one I’ve ever cooked. Getting the smoke rolling.
View attachment 139404
Had some troubles at first due to some heavy rains. No smoke stack, just an open vent on top. Had to go McGuyver to keep the rain out. That’s my beer can chicken stand with a little gardening pail upside down to keep the rain out while still letting it vent.
View attachment 139408
12hrs in.... looking good but still not up to temp yet. It was stalled at 190 degrees for a while. Oh ya, that little foil tent on top was another attempt to keep rainwater off my pork. Worked out pretty well.
View attachment 139405
Here it is fresh off. Looks burnt, but thats the way you want it for that oh so tasty bark
View attachment 139406
And the finished results!!!!
View attachment 139407

:rock:
:cheers:
:bed:
Used to listen to an AM radio station at the beach here at night from ft Wayne. WOWO I think back in 1968

International BBQ Festival ,,,,,,May 10 & 11, 2019 Owensboro, Ky. A real good time! On the Ohio riverfront downtown. Judged competitions eating contest, live music, beer garden, car show, carnival rides, something for everybody....BE THERE!!!!!!! ADD....In post 29 of this thread is a picture from our BBQ fest! The one picture is a church cooking team saucing the meat with a mop. Almost all the Catholic churches have yearly cookout/ fund raisers throughout the summer on a schedule and the best weekends are a draw for date kinda thing so no two have the same weekend!

Last edited:
Not memorable enough for pics, but the annual BBQ competition is this weekend. Lots of competitors coming in with their BBQ trucks at the park. Kayaking in the river there. Country music entertainers. Saw a few groups of bikes. Went to our local BBQ place downtown (the old auto showroom, and later parts store, converted) and got baked potatoes loaded with pulled pork, melted cheese, chives, sour cream, and probably a few secret ingredients. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Not memorable enough for pics, but the annual BBQ competition is this weekend. Lots of competitors coming in with their BBQ trucks at the park, kayaking in the river there. Country music entertainers. Saw a few groups of bikes. Went to our local BBQ place downtown (the old auto showroom, and later parts store, converted) and got baked potatoes loaded with pulled pork, melted cheese, chives, sour cream, and probably a few secret ingredients. Good stuff.

Wow! That sounds good. A BBQ competition, I’d pay good money just to go smell the air around there!
As it so happens , I had BBQ for lunch today too. The first time I can ever recall being disappointed. :( I’ve been to Dickey’s several times and always enjoyed their food, but today they were off of their game. I might just have to make the trek to Rudys, they got it goin on!

I’d pay good money just to go smell the air around there!
Downtown smelled like lawyers for a long time, but since the BBQ place went in, there's definitely a different smell. Maybe five years ago a couple of trucks popped up beside the highway, and they led to the interest that turned into the BBQ restaurant downtown and the annual competition at the RV park. Apparently BBQ is a touring competitive sport.

Last edited:
Downtown smelled like lawyers for a long time, but since the BBQ place went in, there's definitely a different smell. Maybe five years ago a couple of trucks popped up beside the highway, and they led to the interest that turned into the BBQ restaurant downtown and the annual competition at the RV park. Apparently BBQ is a touring competitive sport.
I lived in a capitol city for many years, always wondered what the smell was , everyone said it was the paper mill. who would have thought,.

Funny that this thread revived today. Gearing up for the holiday and ready to fire up my smoker on Thursday. Will be fixin up a couple slabs of baby back ribs. Then on Saturday a batch of my almost famous Bacon wrapped smoked jalapeño poppers for a party at the lake. Mmmmmmm, can almost taste them now!

Back