1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The Patience build.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingedwheel, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Outsmarted myself once again XS650.com Supporter

Hey guys, the Honda is gone! (For those that know no explanation is needed, for those that don’t, you don’t want to.). Anyway with that horse outta the barn it’s time to move on to my next attempt at self insanity. The “76 and her name is Patience. EA37908D-9E58-40BA-85C6-6BE55AA2AB88.jpeg . I’m beginning my planning stages and I’ll have to order some parts in before getting started as this may be another project to involve my Dad. Aside from the obvious needs, gaskets, seals, top end components. I basically need everything......hehe
    I also know I couldn’t get the bike to go into first gear so I’ll have to look into that. Most engine components will be OEM but my last XS I ordered my rings from a supplier in Japan called”Cruznimage” I know other guys have used that guy also but when I looked this morning the parts were super reasonable as always but shipping was $1000? IDK. In any case time to get my list of needs and wants together and start ordering.

LanzSilva, Beags64, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That shipping price is to deter you from ordering from his Ebay store. He has his own website now... here.

Adamc, MrBultaco, Team Junk and 2 others like this.
  3. Wingedwheel

Thanks Jim, that makes sense. eBay has become such a pita for sellers. image.jpg Got my roadmap ready.

Adamc, Mailman, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wingedwheel

Wow, just checked the Cruznimage website and the shipping doesn’t make it worth ordering from there.

5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I just put a set of rings in the basket and went to checkout. Shipping was 10 bucks. Not great but not terrible either. Went to their shipping link and it says they can "combine shipping." Guess you'd need to order a hundred bucks or more to make shipping more reasonable.

Adamc, Mailman and jetmechmarty like this.
  6. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Sweden
    Machine looks fine on the picture .. Does not seem to need everything ..Everything there and no obvious damage
    Even the seat looks OK ..Stock pipes ..One of the better looking starting points I have seen. If not the best .The shifting problem can be an adjustment on the mechanism.
    Unless any problems
    If it is fresh out of the barn a wash and polish would be what some people would go for.
    Stock street worn look. Personally I would remove the crash bar .. But of course there are different views

7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I wouldn't recommend carb rebuild kits. Just buy any individual parts you may need. But chances are, you won't need much. There are no o-rings in the '76-'77 carbs so about all you might need are float bowl gaskets. If you replace any jets, it's best you get genuine Mikuni ones. The rebuild kits would have aftermarket brand jets and often of the wrong size. For float needles and seats, Yamaha ones are best and not that expensive. The aftermarket ones in the kits often leak right out of the box. If you're careful during removal, you can often save and re-use the original float bowl gaskets, they're very robust. Don't remove the choke housings from the carb bodies, there's no need to. Then you won't need new gaskets for them. Just pull the choke plungers out of the tops.

8. Wingedwheel

Thanks for the advice guys. Jim I had $89 in the cart and they wanted $41 shipping. I dropped the items and for rings and a gasket set it was $20. I can do that well bundling from Revzilla. Jan the “extras” will all be going away although that sissy bar has a weird appeal to it. (NOT!)

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  9. Wingedwheel

5T I’m not sure exactly what I need for those carbs as those are in a box in pieces. I’ll need an air box also.

gggGary likes this.
  10. Jim

Contact 'em about bundling.... :shrug:

Adamc and gggGary like this.
  11. Wingedwheel

Jim that was a bundle. IDK I guess I’ll shoot them an email.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  12. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

They charge you up front then refund some of the shipping once the order is placed. Their shipping is higher than it used to be but some of their big ticket items like piston sets are still a good deal.

jetmechmarty likes this.
  13. Wingedwheel

Who has the bet gasket set? Does anyone besides Mikes’s have a complete oil seal seat or am I better off ordering everything individually?

14. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty Project collector XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I like GeorgeFix. Quick response and parts as good as any. You should find what you need there.

Adamc and Jim like this.
  15. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    Got a set of my '77, already painted, thinkin' we'll prolly cross paths by the time you get to that point. Shoulda dug 'em out when you were here...my bad

nj1639 and Jim like this.
  16. Wingedwheel

Beags we need to get together for a ride anyway..

17. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    That we do....but some of us do still have jobs...lol

Adamc likes this.
  18. Wingedwheel

I have a job! It’s doing whatever I want! Lol

Team Junk, Mikey, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  19. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Cruzin Image always quotes the shipping high to the US and refunds you at least half of it. I've ordered from them 3 times now and every time he refunds me a large portion of the shipping. I would not hesitate to order anything from them at this point, I've gotten parts for both my XS's and Hondas.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Team Junk, Mailman and Jim like this.
  20. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I got my last gasket set from Cruzin Image, quality was excellent. But be aware it does not come with seals. I got my seals from Gary Hoos because he has the OEM seal set.

Adamc, Team Junk and Mailman like this.