1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The Patience build.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingedwheel, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter

Wales
    Yep Jim you are correct its running a 40T rear sprocket...Yikes..:yikes:
    The rear wheel is 18'' with a 17T front sprocket. No wonder it felt like a Jack Hammer at 50MPH and above.
    Its also running the original cheap chain as after the 40 mile run yesterday it has stretched a bit.
    So I'll be putting a gold DID chain and new sprockets on pronto.

Mailman, jetmechmarty and Jim like this.
  2. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

You've got a real stump puller there, lol.

Adamc likes this.
  3. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Outsmarted myself once again XS650.com Supporter

How did you even get it up to 50 mph? Lol

Adamc likes this.
  4. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

I road my XS2 for years with 17X38 gearing. It would go over a 100.

Mailman, Adamc and jetmechmarty like this.
  5. Wingedwheel

Looking like there’s not going to be stainless spokes going back on these wheels. Every site I look at shows stainless “ out of stock”. COVID strikes again! I wonder if it would be worth powder coating them vs a new set although the standard zinc are affordable enough or is taking them off going to be a bigger PITA if I try to save them? If I do this I also need to search for wheel trueing as this will be my first attempt.

Adamc likes this.
  6. 5twins

I've been able to remove most old ones without cutting. Soak the nipples in penetrating oil overnight and get yourself a good spoke wrench. If you can find one (eBay), the Rowe brand wrench is excellent. I've never encountered a spoke it wouldn't fit yet .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be aware that there are lots of Chinese knock-offs out there. An original will have the "Rowe" name clearly stamped on it .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124964396579?hash=item1d18755e23:g:HLUAAOSwUE5hcMe3

Mailman and Adamc like this.
  7. Wingedwheel

8. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I bought one just like that, on your recommendation, it works really well. I found a used one on EBay, it came from a pawn shop of all places! :laugh2:

Adamc and gggGary like this.
  9. 5twins

I wouldn't chance buying one of the knock-offs, not when originals are still readily available for around the same price.

Adamc likes this.
  10. Wingedwheel

I agree however I seem to be running into “out of stock” on pretty much everything I look at. Must be COVID related. Everyone stayed home and re-laced their rims lol

Adamc, Mailman and gggGary like this.