The project I never wanted

josuar88

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm new here and for the most part new to motorcycles. I have had a love for them ever since I was a kid and even mounted an engine on a bicycle while I was in Iraq to ride around my base on. So long story short I decide I want to make a motorcycle my primary transportation and ride all year long. I only had 1500$ to do it with so I found a beautiful 650 with only 8k on the clock for 1200$(should have been a red flag) Everything tuned and working needs nothing(should have been another flag). Meet up check the bike out looks fine I ask the guy why he is selling it cheap he says bad arthritis and its has been sitting and he would rather have the money. Now the owner I feel left some stuff out as he was selling cheap but from what I could see it was fine. not even 15mins down the road I get some back firing so I'm like ok carbs need to be tuned and cleaned cool thats just maintenance. Well low and behold I get it to my place and the headlight starts to smoke:yikes:. Come to find out somewhere in the only 3 owners of the bike someone decided to hot wire to main and ignition:wtf:. So I replaced the harness and the headlight, good to go right? Wrong for some reason I still can't get the headlight to work even though everything is connected correctly. I have had this bike a month and have yet to ride at night and may I remind you its my only transportation. I also had to replace the battery which is cool again maintenance but now she is not charging the battery I am assuming it needs the brushes replaced. So right now she sits in a messed up state and me being pissed that I bought a project bike when I never meant to in the first place. I wish I just had the money to bring it to a shop and tell them to fix it but I don't and even though I was a mechanic for three years in the army I am frustrated because I have not been able to enjoy my bike. As of now she sits with these issues. Also I am at the point where I am not sure where to start.

Clutch needs adjustment-Minor
Headlight doesn't work-Major
Carbs need cleaning and adjustment-Major
Battery doesn't charge-Major
Needs new front pads-Minor
Oil leak-Minor

I guess what I am saying is I need help. So would there be anyone willing to help me at the moment I have no money but I have plenty to trade almost to much to post here I have a computer, cell phone, parts, games what ever I just need help this is so disheartening and I really just want to be able to ride my bike is all.
http://www.lenovo.com/shop/emea/content/pdf/notebooks/ideapad/z-series/z570/en/Z570_DS_EN.pdf

The headlight is most likely related to needing brushes. it is actually a Yamaha design "feature" if the bike is not charging a relay does not activate the headlight.
Sounds like all your problems are minor normal wake up a sleeping motorcycle stuff I don't see anything that should cost more than a couple of bucks to fix. See how it runs after the charging system is fixed, you MIGHT not need to go into the carbs yet.
So yes read the threads on replacing the brushes and measure the rotor while you are in there. then see if that fixed your headlight problem.
There might be a life lesson here about 30 year old machinery and "have to run" transportation needs.
As quoted in some other's signatures "You cannot BUY your way to a running XS, you will go broke first". The XS is from an era that is now largely forgotten. Most problems are troubleshooting exercises, with minor parts repair or purchase rectifying the problem. If you are young you have no idea how it used to be, with the basic engine tune up done with a plug wrench, a screw driver, sand paper and a matchbook cover.

You have come to the right place for help, that's for sure. Just ask and people on here can talk you through most of your repairs. The people on this site has saved me a lot of grief.

One good thing about buying that old XS is the support you will get from other owners. ,

'82 Heritage Special, eh?
Shame it's your primary transportation as of now, but with the support of the forum even the major problems can be minor. As stated above, check your charging system and find a wiring schematic and some inline fuses to replace the fuse block that's missing.
My '83 had a failed rotor @ 15k on the clock when I first got it. I did keep it running with a new battery and a trickle charger untill I could get a replacement.....was good for about 50+ miles a charge, enough to get me back and forth to work.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the XS650.
I might suggest you get a repair manual. biker.net has some for download. I like an atual book, so i shopped ebay and have Yamaha factory books that cover from 70 to 80. The Clymers and Haynes books are ok. They both have good and weak points.
Also start by reading the tech section. There is a Buyers guide, Getting to know your bike. Is a good place to start. Then the other subjects in the maintainance section.
This will give you a good idea of what you are in for.
There are links to the carb guide and Curly's charging guide in the tech section. Read both of these.
Getting any 30 year old machine, bike car, anything, operating well is a labor of love. They all need a lot of TLC. Once you get all the little problems worked out you will have a relible, fun bike to ride as a way to get to work or across the country.
Leo

ggggary... ah the good old days.
Setting points on the side of the route with a peice of cellophane, Leaving the nail IN the tire, coat hanger used for a plug wire, waiste belt used for water pump, running on two lug nuts, attaching a can of either to the throttle linkage to leak out so the car would idle...on and on and on..
Now, we just throw them away. sad
Im in the process of waking up a 67 fairlane with rusted out freeze plugs that ive had since 1996. its been sitting for two years, but before that, it was my daily, befor I figured out how to buy cars on credit. It starts, but i cant run it for very long, and the brakes seem to have froze up. Easy things to someone willing to get dirty, but kids these days wouldnt even touch it, and I'm only forty!!

The reserve lighting unit might br the problem. Located under the seat. Gray box unplug. connect the blue black wire to the blue yellow wires in the plug side.

thanks for all the replys guys I am going through the motions with this bike and was just a bit frustrated at that point. I will be giving an update on progress soon. The plan for this bike is a hybrid cafe racer/comfortable cruiser.

Back