The road to Arlington a photo history

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Today was the first day of my retirement, so I slept late, and when I got up I put my robe and slippers on and brewed myself a cup of tea and curled up in my recliner with a good book. NOT.......

I got up early, checked the weather, suited up and took the 650 to breakfast. After a stack of pancakes with bacon and a couple cups of steaming hot coffee I was ready to put some miles on! My destination today is the rural farming / ranching area of Arlington Az ( it would be a stretch to call it a community ) Haha!

After swinging through the town of Buckeye I head west on a forgotten highway. The old US 80, the former highway to the Arizona town of Gila Bend. The old highway is a two lane , meandering road that follows the Gila River and the mountain foothills. This highway has been replaced with a modern high speed super slab.

I'm riding through farm land and cattle ranches, natural desert on one side of the road and vast expanses of farm fields on the other side. It's not hard to see that time has forgotten this old highway.
image.jpeg

There was a great blue heron trying to catch his breakfast here in this irrigation canal when I pulled up here.
The irrigated fields also attract huge flocks of snowy egrets. I also saw roadrunners and buzzards were constantly circling overhead. ( Did they know something I didn't know? )
image.jpeg

The Palo Verde Nuclear power plant is just about six miles from here, I am passing thru the fall out zone.
These are the kiss your ass goodbye sirens. If you hear these go off, go to the fridge, get yourself a beer and go outside and work on your tan!
image.jpeg

And now the destination, the historic Gillesspie Bridge. Built in 1927, this was part of a 1909 territorial legislative effort to connect the major Arizona cities with direct routes to facilitate US Mail delivery.
The bridge is 1662 feet long and was both the longest bridge and largest steel structure in Arizona. The bridge underwent a 7.3 million dollar rehab in 2011 and is listed on the National register of historic places.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Gillespie bridge crosses the Gila River, and this is looking from the bridge, you see the remains of the Gillespie Dam. Built in 1921 by Frank Gillespie to supply water to his cattle ranch Paloma Ranch. It was the largest privately funded dam in Arizona and it stood until 1993, when a flood on the Gila River washed it out causing the largest dam failure in Arizona history.
image.jpeg

At this point I was standing on an observation deck that was built during the 2011 renovation, and I hear gunshots coming from down somewhere in the river bed. Yahoos shooting at God knows what. Pretty soon I hear a PING! Something hit the roof of the structure I was standing under. Ok time to go, I quickly put my helmet on and head for home. All in all a terrific day, and a great way to start a retirement!

So you've retired !!
It took me by surprise !
Seems you had a cool adventure your first day. Congratulations, Bob.

Thank you so much! I'm still trying to get my head around not working. First time in a LONG time.

Wow Bob, congrats on your retirement!

I recall you mentioning that awhile ago, but seems to have snuck up fast.

Best keep an eye on Craigslist, a retirement project is in order!

Back on June 26 you were working on your carbs and you said this: "I was in too big of a rush to get them back together because my free time is scarce lately."; I'll bet we won't hear you speak those words, again. Free time is now what life is all about. Except for cutting the grass. :)

Bob, Congrats on your retirement! Enjoy.

I've been out of the game for a couple years now and am finding retirement interesting. Most of the guys I ride, fish, golf, and travel with are having a great time because they are focused on what they are going to do rather than what they have done. The retired guys I know that spend their time in the "way back machine" are stuck in park. Play hard!

roy

Very cool Bob - congratulations on your retirement and on a wonderful first day trip!

Cheers,

Pete

Back on June 26 you were working on your carbs and you said this: "I was in too big of a rush to get them back together because my free time is scarce lately."; I'll bet we won't hear you speak those words, again. Free time is now what life is all about. Except for cutting the grass. :)

You are so right. Most of the work I've done so far had to be finished in a weekends time. I was going for speed and often rushed assembly. Now I can take the time to do the kind of work that I really like to do. But...I'm enjoying riding right now too much to stop!

Those are great pictures of the country down your way. Retirement is not for the timid. Get up each day, keep busy, and enjoy the freedom. Us retired folks are taking over the world. We have power in numbers.
Congrats :cheers:

Thank you RG, even though I have lived here most of my life, my time has been spent rushing from place to place and never really seeing the places I've passed through. I've got some catching up to do!

Don't worry after a few years the tendency to swerve towards mailboxes wears off. Judging approaches, styles and upkeep not so much LOL. I don't get in the RH door to drive anymore, but still have "new to me" route nightmares.

Gary, were you a mailman in a previous life?
A kindred spirit? A brother in blue?

Nah RCA, no blue required, flogged an 05 Prius near to death on rural Wisconsin "roads". When I called it quits I sold the Prius to another rural who continued to hammer on it.
rons 080.jpg rons 082.jpg

OMG! Look at all that mail! Your poor little car! Haha!
I have a cousin that was a rural mailman for many many years. Rural routes are way bigger than the city routes are for some reason.
I also married into a Postal family. My brother in law retired as a city carrier in Cleveland and also my wife's uncle.
Thirty one years. It was a pretty good gig!

Congrats on the retirement Mailman. I'm only a few months behind you and I'll have 31 years at the USPS's biggest competitor. Can't wait to escape the madness!

Congrats on the retirement Mailman. I'm only a few months behind you and I'll have 31 years at the USPS's biggest competitor. Can't wait to escape the madness!

Good for you man! I know how you feel. I am still trying to mentally shift gears. It's Sunday afternoon and I can't shake the feeling that I have to get up tomorrow and go to work!

After years or a life time of "Indentured servitude"... the freedom you receive seams Lack luster... and a let down at first....kind'a like this is IT ???
I always thought that Retirement was such a grand thing ! but you soon realise it's better than you thought...... you have your freedom
and that is better than any reward for all the years of dedicated service..... Freedom to wake up when you want to... freedom to go where you want to, freedom to do anything your hart desires..... just not the money.... so you have to learn to do LESS than you ever did before...
not because you want to but because you can't afford too ! Retirement takes some getting used to the financial situation.... not the freedom part.... that comes natural ! LOL
....Congrats on Retirement Bob.... I hope it's All you have dreamed it will be !
Bob.......

Back