The Stovetop Scrambler: 1974 tx650 Scrambler Rebuild

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
Well its time for a winter redo of my ol' xs so here we go.

I have just returned from Southeast Asia broke, hungry, and jobless. Good news is, I scored some shop space with some rad local dudes I met on a ride earlier in the fall.

So that means I get to ACTUALLY build! Woohoo. I actually have somewhere to put my tools, make loud noises, and be smelly!

So the plan is a scrambler, similar to what it currently was only way better! Since I pulled the bike out of some dudes shed at the start of 2012, I managed to throw together something that was rideable, looked rad, and was super fun. I beat the living shit out of it and now am going to upgrade it, make it more reliable, and basically build a bike that looks like it could be off the showroom floor, so I can beat the shit out of it again!

I have developed some oil leaks so a motor rebuild is in the cards, along with a carb rebuild of course, fork rebuild, front brake rebuild, drum rebuild, etc etc.

Shouldn't take to long :laugh:

So here we go..

img0053qv.jpg

Rolled er in

img0064fu.jpg

Took some shit off

img0067xd.jpg

Little view of our dirty little shop

img0071el.jpg

Choppy choppy

img0073ck.jpg

Gross carbies

img0249qi.jpg

Choppy choppy

img0239eh.jpg

Clean slate! (well not clean exactly..)

img0238tu.jpg

Parts galore

img0271o.jpg

Shit where did these come from again??

img0268pg.jpg

Heres one of 4 little tabs I made for a front skid plate

img0259rr.jpg

Parts awaiting polishing..

img0272dvx.jpg

Got a wee little bit of polishing done

img0275in.jpg

img0276sk.jpg

img0285sl.jpg

I gave the carbs a quick little soda blast but I ran out of soda.. Could definitely use a bit more..

img0282cx.jpg

Annd just a shot of the tops of the carbs..

img0281vq.jpg

Ill be painting the brace with brass. Im thinking mostly black parts on the bike, white tank with some sort of accents, and then some nice brass highlights and accents through out.

Sound alright so far?

Im about a week in.. (well 2 solid shop days but..)

Shes gunna be a nice one for sure. Im going to really try and be patient with this one, and do everything properly, and precisely. Very stoked!

Shes gunna be a nice one for sure. Im going to really try and be patient with this one, and do everything properly, and precisely. Very stoked!

Don't know what's harder! Being patient and doing everything properly or sticking to a limited budget and having an image in your head that you can't get to fast enough! :banghead:

Subscribed and watching patiently! :D

Yes! I always liked your bike and your attitude; it's gonna great seeing the detail work come together.

thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it!

hoping to break down the carbs today if I find some time between me two jobs, so I can sort out what gasket kit I'll need to pick up. My goal was to have a painted/powdered rolling chassis by feb but I've just been accepted into Welding level C to start in march so O may just build the motor first now so I can take care of the frame mods myself later.. although waiting that long.. I don't know!

Yeah go man! There should be a on off road XSOTM coming up in a few months....
Hey what tires were on last years build, Brand and model? is that a 19" front?

wow osteoderm how have I never heard that story! I'm a sailor myself and have been meaning to visit the maritime museum since I first moved here 1.5 years ago.. now I really need to go! maybe I'll stop by this week on my way to my bike (if I ever get a day off!)

and Gary, front is a tw39 Bridgestone and rear is a tw42. I'll keep them untill they wear ou then I'd like to move to a knobbier rear. I'm not a believer in buying unneeded tires at this point though! they ate great tires just the rear end gets a bit loose in the messy stuff when you get on it

Got a chance to get back in the garage today after a big work week..

Dove into the carbs..

Hello there you dirty bastards

img0250ve.jpg

img0249qi.jpg

Diaphragms look good

img0292lp.jpg

Inside, these carbs have seem some better days,

img0293ke.jpg

img0297ym.jpg

Heres some after shots from one of them

img0299no.jpg

img0314la.jpg

Moved onto the drum..

img0311py.jpg

Pulled the caliper apart to see what I had to work with, with the help of some fire, a bench vice and a hammer. The bolts were seized in pretty good but I got it apart. New pads, hardware, and pistons on order.

img0309in.jpg

img0310ck.jpg

Then to a bit of fork cleanup.

img0303scv.jpg

img0304dn.jpg

Im ordering a bunch of parts right now so I can start getting some more done..
Its going to be like christmas..I just got payed :laugh:

Soo many new goodies to come in the mail from xs650direct!

A bunch of new hard ware, bronze bushings, fork boots, and brake stuff..

Also ordered a YZ master cylinder, and hydro clutch.

Tomorrow is frame stripping day, and clean up some more parts while I wait.

Last edited:
And the polishing continues.

I think im going to stop at what I have done so far for the polishing side of things. I will maybe polish the ignition cover, but Im thinking I will powder the main engine covers black.

I started to strip my frame of paint, with some paint stripper and a wire wheel on a grinder but decided f*ck it. There is a DIY blasting place in town that im going to go to. They have glass, bead, walnut, and sand blasting, at a buck a minute.

img0329g.jpg

img0332sp.jpg

I also got my front brake master in the mail. Its off a yamaha YZ, brand new.

Unfortunately, as you can see, the brake switch housing was cracked, and there is a big paint chip when it arrived, but I contacted the seller and he is just going to send me an entire new unit for no cost. Great news!

img0336qf.jpg

img0334la.jpg

:thumbsup:

Back