The TON! *Video* and Technical Question

Yamaha77

Banned
Reaction score
Unseasonable and wonderful weather today. Nearly 60F. I went upstate to some open roads and let er rip.

Ive posted video below, and NOT to brag, I promise you, but to ask the question. As seen in the video Im doing 85/90 and at 6000 RPMS. Not sure what gear I was in. Is that proper?

Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPlVQK7jXKU/?taken-by=wildej_

Last edited:
Info about sprockets is exactly what you're looking for. Revs (engine speed) and MPH (wheel speed) are directly related to each other and that ratio is defined by your sprocket choice.

Many of the threads that pop up with that search have an excel chart pamcopete created to easily compare RPM vs MPH given different tire sizes and sprockets.

The only way to know if your 82mph at 6000 revs is correct is to look at the thread, 2nd from top, (when doing a search Revs vs. MPH), Pamcopetes post #3, (in that thread), has the spread sheet giving the sprocket size in relation to speed and revs. Has all the combinations from 17 and 18 tooth front sprocket, multitude tooth rear sprocket sizes and also has the combination for mikes overdrive gear and the difference between the 16" rear wheel and 18" rear wheel.

I would have posted the information you need but i did not know your sprocket ratio. Sorry.

As for what gear you were in .......................probably 5th but you were riding the bike

Thanks, not sure what gear. Maybe 4th. I'll make note of it next time.

All in all sounds like 5th, typical stock gearing is about 4K@60MPH in 5th. That would equal 6K@90, besides no one can stop themselves from up shifting an XS650 till runs out of gears to shift to.

All in all sounds like 5th, typical stock gearing is about 4K@60MPH in 5th. That would equal 6K@90, besides no one can stop themselves from up shifting an XS650 till runs out of gears to shift to.

I wish it had 5 more gears! My Honda CB 750 is a beast and I really like it, but this XS650 is SOOOOO much fun. Light nimble and QUICK. Sometimes I forget how torquey it can be

77: You know what sprockets and rear tire you have. You know your RPM and speed. Using pamcopete's excel file, you can know what gear you were in. No need to wait for next time.

Gary Is correct 6,000rpm is 90mph indicated with stock gearing. Tire size would make very little difference as it is close enough to stock. Incidentally if you check your speed against GPS your 85mph indicated translates to an actual 80mph or less. So much for the ton. Try it in fourth you might get closer.

Gary Is correct 6,000rpm is 90mph indicated with stock gearing. Tire size would make very little difference as it is close enough to stock. Incidentally if you check your speed against GPS your 85mph indicated translates to an actual 80mph or less. So much for the ton. Try it in fourth you might get closer.

I could have pushed for it but it was VERY windy though nice today. I have GPS on my phone. I was doing the actual 85-90. Im certain of that. The bike is light and I didnt want to get blown off course. Ive done 105 on my Yamaha and 120 on my 750 Honda. I need to get my Honda CB 500F up to 100 though. Ive only hit 90 on that one.

In terms of the Ton, Ive already reached my goal. Just recounting my day.

I could have pushed for it but it was VERY windy though nice today... Ive done 105 on my Yamaha and 120 on my 750 Honda. I need to get my Honda CB 500F up to 100 though. Ive only hit 90 on that one.

In terms of the Ton, Ive already reached my goal. Just recounting my day.

Glad you had a pleasant day blasting around suburban NYC. I find as I grow old, 69yo, top speed is no longer very important to me but I do enjoy twisties on two, three and four wheels.

A thank you for every ones time and help is a pleasant way to finish a thread
You need to get tighter to the tank! More faster :)

Agreed but I was trying to make sure I got good footage on my Go Pro. couldnt tuck in or you wouldnt have seen much. Usually I tuck in even more than that! But thank for the suggestion. I do appreciate it!

Last edited:
Darn good point. I just watched a bike video last night and spent the entire time chanting "lookuplookuplookup".

Yours was very clear.

Back