The wrong key

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I lost my XS650's keys last week but no problem, I had my spare set with me.
Now I'm down to one set so it's off to the locksmiths to get two extra sets made.
Extra ignition, no problem.
Alas that my Standard gas tank has a MikesXS knockoff cap that you can't get key blanks for.
And although the Special's gas cap can easily be popped open with a screwdriver the eff nigh identical Standard gas cap don't want to.
Plan 2! I'll de-gut the gas cap lock so it'll open with any ol' key at all.
Which is why I had my recently purchased Special gas cap on the bench to see how to put the Standard cap back together again.
Which is when I tried to operate the Special cap with the key that came with it.
The key went in the keyslot just fine but turn it? No way!
Seems that genuine Yamaha key #A52010 will fit in but not turn genuine Yamaha Special gas cap keyed #3175.
So, no problem for me save a minor inconvenience, another trip down town will get me the correct key.
But if the guy who sold me the gas cap has an XS650 that needs key#A52010 and is wondering WTF the key it's got don't work, check it's number.
If it's #3175 send me a PM and we'll do a swap, eh?

is it better to have the wrong key and the right keyhole or the right key and wrong keyhole?

Hi bobber,
come to that, there is no "right" or "wrong" with keys and keyholes.
There's "the key that will work with the lock" and there's "the key that won't work with the lock".
But thanks, your comment has stimulated my thoughts.
There's two more locks on my bike that will fit the ignition key.
There's the helmet lock that also holds the seat on.
And there's the security chain still in it's little cuddy that I've never used.
I'll check and see if either of those will exchange.

Mmmmm I wasn't presenting any solutions, but if my comment presented any or provoked you to find resolution i'm happy.... lol I was just being a cheeky ass... of course it's my bike, officer, I just brought the wrong key.

Most of my old keys need some serious jiggling and pushing and pulling in order to work ...

My partner is always losing her keys because she puts them down all over the place .
At such times I smugly remind her of the obvious advantages of putting one's keys in the same place ......:)

Ho ho last week I not only lost my keys I also lost £300 in folded notes.
The keys turned up eventually but the money is still missing...its safe somewhere in that special safe place that I've forgotten :doh:

Reminds me of the time I lost £320 within minutes of being handed it !:yikes:

Ransacked the house for hours in vain .. some time later I opened the kitchen pedal bin to dispose of some waste and there neatly folded on top of the rubbish was the money :doh:
Where does all this stuff we lose go to ?......is there a parallel universe ?

Slightly on the subject, perhaps. If you have to replace either your ignition switch or the gas cap lock, or the helmet / seat lock, you will end up having to carry two keys around. However, you can have a key cut with the ignition key on one edge and the gas cap key / helmet / seat on the other edge of the key so you only need one key.

...My partner is always losing her keys because she puts them down all over the place ...
...Ho ho last week I not only lost my keys I also lost £300 in folded notes...
...Reminds me of the time I lost £320 within minutes of being handed it !:yikes:

...there neatly folded on top of the rubbish was the money :doh:

A friend of mine was frantically cleaning house, and suddenly/mysteriously lost track of her can of Pledge.
Later that day, she found it in the freezer compartment.
Laughed her a$$ off for half an hour.

... Where does all this stuff we lose go to ?......is there a parallel universe ?

Yes, there is. And it's full of orphaned socks...

I have an orphan blue gas tank with a 3274 lock on it, any one have one of those keys?

Slightly on the subject, perhaps. If you have to replace either your ignition switch or the gas cap lock, or the helmet / seat lock, you will end up having to carry two keys around. However, you can have a key cut with the ignition key on one edge and the gas cap key / helmet / seat on the other edge of the key so you only need one key.

Hi Pete,
I dunno about that, having all those WTF? moments as I shove the key in the wrong way round and wonder why it don't turn?
2 keys on a separate ring for the bike is not a problem for me, not like my dear wife who's keyring carries her car key, office key, house key & 3 keys she don't remember what they are for plus the car remote, the house security remote, her chiropractors fob and TWO Elvis plaques.

Personal key ring is pretty busy. Seldom use them. Key (single) remains in ignition of pickup, doors unlocked - ready to go. Just have to find the hidden switch to energize the electric fuel pump. Good luck! And you won't get much even if you sort through the mystery. Motorcycle keys remain in ignitions of all my scooters. Seldom park them in public place so not much of an issue. Guess that's one of the bonuses of living in rural America?......... Lose your old key, you don't get no new key - or is that nookie?.........

A friend of mine was frantically cleaning house, and suddenly/mysteriously lost track of her can of Pledge.
Later that day, she found it in the freezer compartment.
Laughed her a$$ off for half an hour.

why am I laughing my head off ??/ I'm doing that sort of stuff every day now.:doh:

On a more serious note..ahem.. it might be possible to strip an ignition cylinder lock and file/adjust the pins and key to fit Saying that reminds me that I need to strip mine and remove all the rusty water sometime

Back