Things to remember about your bike

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I get this asked a lot and things you need to remember about your bike . YOU have to maintain it. Great way to learn your bike is BUY A BOOK learn how to do some repairs and most of all know when you are over your head and get help.
I have repaired so many different kinds of bikes over the years but most things on bikes are the same. I get people who contact me and don't understand why there bike won't run . Well first of all you are dealing with 30 plus year old parts and because you got a great deal on the bike doesn't mean it was taking care of. If you have NO experience on maintaining a bike buy one that is running that you can test out and that the guy who is selling it uses it and it was not stuffed in a barn for 20 yrs. Some guys look for those cheap barn fines but they have the skill to bring that motor back to life and if you don't have those skills you bought a boat anchor. Me too I have paid for a bike that the guy said it runs good and find out it has way more repairs needed than what I paid for.
So for me I learned early if I buy something cheap or apart I attack it and rebuild it to be a good street machine and there are times I just use that bike for parts. These bikes have some really good upgrades but not cheap either so you have to plan out what you are going to do with bike. Upgrades are good but the stock POINTS or TCI or REG/REC if they were taken care of work just as good if that's your budget. It doesn't matter if you are building a stocker bobber chopper they all need to be maintained and guys who can ride all year have a better chance than someone like me who gets maybe 7 months of riding. Rolling a bike into a garage shutting off the key and saying SEE YOU BABY in the spring is not the way to put a 30 year old bike to sleep LOL. Everyone does things different and for me I pull the battery , drain the gas , top off the oil and cover the bike for its long nap. You may do something different and that's cool. My partner at my Honda Dealership use to pull the plugs pour oil in cylinder, Drain the gas, pull the battery and put the bike up on the center stand and block the front wheel. Was that a over kill maybe but I seen him start his CB 750 every year with one kick. So who knows. Never bikes need the battery hooked up or you may have to Re flash the computer. So the bottom line is Spend the right money for what you are buying or if you contact me I maybe telling you something you don't want to hear.
Have a great Day weather is changing
KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

Back