think I screwed up

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Think I cut off one too many brackets when I cleaned up my frame. Seems there's no bracket to hook the lower part of the rear brake lever return spring. Pic is of the rear lower frame crossmember just below and behind rear lower motor mount (that make sense?). Can anyone take a pic of what it's supposed to look like? Bike's a '79 Special with rear disc brake. thanks.

brakespringbracket002.jpg

i think you are ok, the pedal stop bolt goes through that tab and the spring hooks there, drum brake pic but I think they are the same.
1306972108.jpg

The return spring hooks to a peg on the passenger footpeg loop or bar, which you cut off. I would make up a little angle bracket to hook the spring to and bolt it on using the pedal height adjuster bolt. You'll probably also need a spot for the rear brake light switch and that angle bracket may work for that as well.

Here's another pic with everything in place. Might be able to fab a bracket off the set bolt, dunno. i think you're right 'bout the pass peg mount having the bracket on it. 'preciate the pics and info guys. rear brake switch is gonna be hydraulic. only other way I can see is to weld a bracket in the frame crossmember which I don't really want to do. Goin' to see Robert at Omar's and maybe he has an easy solution.

brakespringbracket.jpg

That's so clean and shiny.

My previous owner went crazy with the grinder. Took me forever to fab up all the little brackets I needed.

That's so clean and shiny.

My previous owner went crazy with the grinder. Took me forever to fab up all the little brackets I needed.

it's all clean and shiny 'cause it hasn't been ridden yet. And any screwups are mine 'cause I started out with a virgin stocker. still this is the only obstacle I've run into really. And it's a small one that can be remedied with a little more thinkin'. I'm really happy with the way things are going and my goal of gettin' her on the street by late summer is looking better all the time. I can't remember having more fun building anything I've done in the past. And I gotta tell ya this place has some of the nicest most helpful people you'll find anywhere. This project would have been a lot tougher without y'all. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Have you been able to keep the knicks off the powder coat while assembling the bike?

Man, I have had a tough time keeping my powdered parts from picking up small knicks and scratches. ESPECIALLY the wheels, man, lacing a set of powdered rims and hubs is time consuming and you will always finish with at least 3-4 nicks per wheel. Luckily I have some spot on touch up auto paint. Don't even get me started on getting the rear wheel fitted with the TCBros hardtail....at least the first scratch is always the worst.

I think I'll be taking the appliance epoxy route on my frame. Don't want to keep dropping dough on powder if it's all gonna get nicked up anyway.

Have you been able to keep the knicks off the powder coat while assembling the bike?

Um, yeah. But then I didn't do any wheel lacing. During assembly if I even think there's gonna be a chance of damage I put copious amounts of tape around the area I'm working. Don't know how easy that would be on a wheel but it's the only way I've found to do it. See pic below...........

motorin004.jpg

If you still have the piece, I don't see why you can't weld it back on. Or make something. Here is what mine looks like. I can see on your frame where yours was.

full

Ah, I've been doing some cutting on my frame this weekend and this is what I'm terrified of! :eek:

I also don't have a welder/skills so that makes me extra cautious.

If you still have the piece, I don't see why you can't weld it back on. Or make something. Here is what mine looks like. I can see on your frame where yours was.

Don't still have the piece. thanks for the pic. Just got back from Omar's and saw one just like yours. got a coupla ideas, neither requires welding. Pics when I get it figured out.

Hey Pregrid, where did you buy the rear brake lever return spring for rear disk linkage? I have been looking for one but can't seem to find one.

Hey when you lay your frame down, try a big cardboard box like from a fridge or some big appliance. Knock it flat and it makes a good pad to build on and soaks up oil and junk.

OK, got it figured out. Drilled a hole in the frame, put in a "tric-nut" for a 6mm bolt. They go in the hole and the supplied tool spreads them inside the tube.

rearbrakespring002.jpg

Then just used a 6mm allen screw with a jam nut against the frame, hooked the spring on and I'm pretty sure it'll be just fine. We'll see.

rearbrakespring001.jpg

rearbrakespring003.jpg

Nice fix. Those tric-nuts are pretty cool. How do you like them and how much do they cost? I can think of lots of applications for those.

Nice fix. Those tric-nuts are pretty cool. How do you like them and how much do they cost? I can think of lots of applications for those.

can't tell you the cost. Had an auto repair shop for 'bout 25 years. When I left I took a ton of special tools an' shit. This was part of the deal. I've used them in many applications. They work well in proper applications,

Back