Thinking of buying a 78

Capping cafe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of driving 4 hours to buy this xs650 1978 from a guy who has it in his yard

see image its to be just a rolling frame with a seized engine. My concern is will I be able to buy all the miss parts to convert it to a cafe racer

any info would be most helpful I’m leaving this weekend to pick it up
Thanks

Attachments

• 83A4EA9D-BD81-4FCD-9978-D3D50052E296.jpeg
    83A4EA9D-BD81-4FCD-9978-D3D50052E296.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 161
Parts are available. A ton of things are being made aftermarket. Basically, parts shouldn't be too big of a deal. What's the asking price? I wouldn't pay more than $200. You should be able to find a better candidate that's complete.

If he didn't re-jet to compensate for those shorty mufflers (probably no baffles) you may have a holed piston from overly lean mixture. Not saying it is, just saying it's a possibility. If you have access to a bore scope, I'd pull the plugs and have a peek down the cylinders.

I agree with @X77S on the price.

Parts are available. A ton of things are being made aftermarket. Basically, parts shouldn't be too big of a deal. What's the asking price? I wouldn't pay more than $200. You should be able to find a better candidate that's complete.

Yes, $150 is a fair price. I'd offer a hundred and see where he goes.
And yes, parts availably is good enough to build a showroom new bike if that tickles ya. A cafe is easily doable.

'78 is a good year too, but I'm a bit partial because I have one, lol.

Not sure. You'll need a regulator rectifier, wiring harness, headlight, tail light, signals, coils, handlebar control switches etc. I'm probably forgetting a ton of things.

Does it have a title? If not, it is only what the parts are worth to you. Are antiques in your state title-able with a bill of sale? It may actually save you money to wait on a complete bike and pay more for it. I bought mine 85% complete and I paid too much because I thought they were harder to find.

It could run as much as a couple hundred dollars. Is there a box of misc. parts to go with the bike or just the bike as pictured? You don't seem to have any of the electrics - no harness, regulator, rectifier, starter safety relay or solenoid. No carbs either.

It could run as much as a couple hundred dollars. Is there a box of misc. parts to go with the bike or just the bike as pictured? You don't seem to have any of the electrics - no harness, regulator, rectifier, starter safety relay or solenoid. No carbs either.
It’s just everything in the picture basically

:twocents: A complete titled non runner for $600 would be a much better, less expensive start. unless you are going to change everything to aftermarket and invest 3-4G in parts anyway but then a $1,000 to 1,500 runner would still cost less in the long run. That's more of an idea than a motorcycle. :shrug: Some prefer the challenge of a ground up build.

?? Front brake reservoir + caliper ?? odometer speedometer.
With a seized engine this is not a beginners project.as I see it.
On the other hand $ 100 $ 150 is nothing you can expect to get much for either.
I have seen a lot of crap bikes in my younger days .that did not run in the end complete with everything there
this one looks worse.
I would assume owners have taken parts off it because it was a to big challenge for them
I would probably walk away..

:twocents: A complete titled non runner for $600 would be a much better, less expensive start. unless you are going to change everything to aftermarket and invest 3-4G in parts anyway but then a $1,000 to 1,500 runner would still cost less in the long run. That's more of an idea than a motorcycle. :shrug: Some prefer the challenge of a ground up build.
I shoulda looked closer at the pic... :rolleyes:
I agree.... more just an idea there. With the motor locked up, no carbs or electrics... it's not even a $50 parts bike. When I got back into XS' I held out for a $500 runner and still spent a fair bit getting it roadworthy. They're out there. Might wanna keep lookin'

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of an xs650, if you widen your search to include suzuki GS, Honda CB, or Kawasaki KZ they are the same style bikes. I was looking for an XS650. I had my mind made up and basically bought the first one I came across for $500. It was more expensive than if I'd found a $1000-1500 runner. I'd say I'm not much over $1500 though. But I still need to buy a few things to finish up.

Personally if I were going to Cafe a bike the CB550 to 750 would be what I look for. Possibly a KZ. Most are 4 cyl bikes and I was hooked on the looks of an inline twin for a bobber.

Hard pass. You can get a lot closer to a running bike for some more benjamins and be farther along on your project to convert it to a cafe.

I’m thinking of driving 4 hours to buy this xs650 1978 from a guy who has it in his yard

see image its to be just a rolling frame with a seized engine. My concern is will I be able to buy all the miss parts to convert it to a cafe racer

any info would be most helpful I’m leaving this weekend to pick it up
Thanks

Seriously....it's a piece of Sh*t. Only good for parts if you already have a bike and then its basically a give away............a lot of hard to find parts missing on that.

Take off your rose tinted glasses and walk away

Also if you get a runner, you can make it road worthy and ride it. Then do the project in the off season. It's good advice that I wish I had taken. I've owned mine for over 5 years and havent ridden it yet.

Back